links: craft

Aprons have been hurtling themselves in to my radar lately. Domicile just finished this lovely reversible apron, Amy’s just updated Tie One On with the Local Pride themed aprons and Craft is currently running an apron contest for Prairie Girl themed aprons — you’ve still got a week to enter.

Does anyone have experience with laser cutting, or using a laser cutting service? at Ludandy

Why you should find yourself a vintage Dritz bound buttonhole tool, at The Secret Pocket

What are some food safe metals? at Ask Metafilter

Hex Open Bag Frame tutorial (aka) Knitting & Craft Tote bag Tutorial at U-handblog

Where to buy dress forms at Fashion-Incubator, via Action Hero

Madonna/Whore Leather Chest Box at The PseudoShrink

help! i’m looking for a lightweight sewing machine at Shelterrific

Tutorial links at Thimble

30 Days of Gifts to Sew at How About Orange

Cadavre exquis/ Game of consequences necklace to file for Halloween next year. Via Craft

at Craftzine.com:

Yellow Submarine Doll

non-slip your slippers

how to make plastic posies

tissue box tutorial

Recycling Mint Tins into Gift Tin Boxes

Studio Tour with Lotta Jansdotter

leafy mobile

bitty boo felted ghost lollipop covers

tubular cast on

Creative Commons Licensing

· comments [8] · 11-6-2007 · categories:craft ·

• 1 Delphine // Nov 6, 2007 at 9:05 am

Thanks for the link in your post!

• 2 Valerie // Nov 6, 2007 at 9:12 am

I did some research last year when I was in the market for a new dress form, and the post you linked to was one of the most helpful to me. Now that I’ve made the decision, I have some wisdom to impart:

I ended up buying mine (a collapsible-shoulder full misses’ form with legs in size 8) from http://www.studiorox.com/. Everyone has different needs, but mine is perfect for me since my clothes usually need to fit models for runway shows (or myself). A standard size 8 works well for me – I dislike adjustable forms and most of my models are close enough to the 8. Although it was pricey ($500-ish including shipping), it was considerably cheaper than the recognized brand names. AND, all I had to do was ASK, and they gave me a discount.

For those who do a lot of sewing for just one body, a custom-made form is a good way to go. Threads Magazine offers this tutorial: http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp
    Also, one of my colleagues at the design school where I work ordered a kit from http://www.mytwindressforms.com/ and it turned out GREAT. She added a sturdy base and a nice fitted cover, and it looks like a professional form, but in her own body shape.

Hope this helps!

• 3 megan // Nov 6, 2007 at 9:59 am

Thank you Valerie!

• 4 Rita // Nov 6, 2007 at 1:46 pm

aprons! perfect timing. Last night while making dinner, I wondered why I always end up with food spots on my top. I also love this one from zellig on etsy.

• 5 hnybny // Nov 6, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Are instructions on how to make that blood necklace anywhere?

• 6 Michelle // Nov 6, 2007 at 5:21 pm

when i read “tubular” i thought you meant as in “radical” or “awesome”.
    hehe.

• 7 Lisa // Nov 8, 2007 at 9:01 am

Hey, thanks for posting my laser cutting question! I’ve gotten a couple of responses already, after a whole month of nothing. :)

• 8 Merisi's Vienna for Beginners // Nov 13, 2007 at 1:38 am

Aprons! :-)
    I must confess I wear them all the time when cooking. I feel so much better and so much more freedom to splash with my pots. I use the very utilitarian Williams Sonoma brand, they last through many splash feasts in my kitchen.