links: Seattle

What am I getting myself into?, somebody considering moving to Seattle runs across the article about the Seattle Freeze. At Ask Metafilter.

Orangette’s honeymoon, a travel resource and a beautiful little escape for you while you’re reading.

The Boeing Surplus Store is closing, I must visit before it’s gone.

3 places on 15th Ave we should visit more often, I love that they admit to being shy as one of the reasons that keeps them away.

This weekend guide at Daily Candy convince me I need to see Velocity’s new space with the mention of a Tord Boontje wall mural. Ooh.

Cider, unabridged, a follow up to Search & Distill a story in Seattle Weekly about Washington state hard ciders.

· comments [10] · 10-15-2007 · categories:seattle ·

• 1 nazila // Oct 15, 2007 at 9:45 am

Damn skippy on the Boeing Surplus Store. I loved that place. TH will be despondent.

• 2 Lili // Oct 15, 2007 at 11:05 am

The article about the freeze is excellent. I am a recent transplant to vancouver and its the same up here. I blame the rain (i blame everything on the rain!).

• 3 erat // Oct 15, 2007 at 12:16 pm

“Seattle Freeze,” eh? I’m going to have to swipe that phrase and adapt it to my new home town: “Portland Freeze.” Same problem, different city.

A Pacific Northwest thing, I assume…

• 4 sir jorge // Oct 15, 2007 at 1:01 pm

i moved here from los angeles, and yes…freeze is right :(

• 5 Vic // Oct 15, 2007 at 1:34 pm

I just spotted your Wensleydale Flickr photo – I have just visited the Wensleydale Creamery in Hawes, Yorkshire, (England) where they make this cheese! It’s so cool – you can watch it being made and then sample all different kinds of Wensleydale afterwards. Yum!

• 6 marielle // Oct 15, 2007 at 4:24 pm

I read that one too – I’m baffled by the notion of the Seattle freeze, having had more social interaction there in the past week than I have in the past month or two here in Los Angeles. Hmmmmm…

• 7 Vespabelle // Oct 15, 2007 at 9:20 pm

The chair I’m sitting in right now was purchased at the Boeing Surplus store. All my favorite weird-industrial junk stores are going to be gone soon (Wacky Willies and and now Boeing! waa!)

• 8 ruth // Oct 16, 2007 at 5:12 am

When I moved to Seattle in the fall of ’04, people (strangers) were always telling me how especially hard it is to make true friends there. My mom told me that it takes time to make friends wherever you are, then that article came out. I think that part of the problem is so many people that move to Seattle don’t stay permanently, myself being one, and that changes the dynamic of how people bond.

• 9 paola // Oct 16, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Really interesting article. We moved to Seattle from London last November and I’ve been amazed at how friendly (and polite) everyone is.

But I suspect that’s because in London everyone’s even more reserved/busy/cocooning than they are here…

And, to be fair, I think I know one person who’s a native Washingtonian.

• 10 jennifer // Oct 18, 2007 at 6:01 pm

Yeah, the Seattle freeze thing is pretty accurate. I’ve lived here 10 years and don’t have a single friend that I can do things with. Though, I’m sure I’m mostly to blame and would probably be accused of providing some of the frigidity for that freeze. I’m a geek grrl who just doesn’t do well with the social. I try to be nice and smile and say hello, but I often have a hard time making much small talk. And since my work life is surrounded by men, I don’t tend to be able to meet other women in the workplace. :(