links: beauty and shopping

Bake and Shake recommends Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturize.

Which snoring remedies actually work? at Slate. Turns out it’s the tennis ball.

Ten Great “Two-Minute” Card Games at Defective Yeti.

Trish McEvoy Eye Definer at Faking Good Breeding, I have bad luck with eyeliner as well.

Sigg water bottles at Mighty Goods. I keep hearing about these.

The Beauty Brains confirm that, surprisingly, Secret Clinical Strength Antiperspirant actually does work better.

The Uni-Ball Vision Liquid Ink Rollerball Pen at SundryBuzz. I have loved Uni-Ball since college and there is an army of people who agree, we exchange “nice pen” comments like a secret handshake. My current favorite, Uni-Ball Vision Exact, is one I can only seem to find at Target.

How does hotel laundry work? at Ask Metafilter.

OnGuard Locking Skewers to lock up your bicycle, at Cool Hunting.

Is it worth it to spend lots of money (like, $200) on a pair of jeans? If so, why? at Ask Metafilter.

Has anyone successfully reduced or eliminated puffy eyes/dark circles? at Ask Metafilter.

What do I wear under the cape/robe at the fancy hair salon? at Ask Metafilter.

There seems to be no pattern at all re. whether Amazon ships to me via UPS or USPS. Since USPS is much, much more convenient for me, is there any way to influence this in the future?, at Ask Metafilter.

I need a new mascara! Or say…any mascara…for my brand-new “adult” life… at Ask Metafilter.

Anyone have a non-plastic, long-lasting kettle that they’d like to recommend? at Ask Metafilter. I think I’m finally going to get myself that Breville electric kettle I’ve been wanting.

· comments [17] · 10-10-2007 · categories:beauty · shopping ·

• 1 anh-minh // Oct 10, 2007 at 8:42 am

Vision Exacts are the only pens I use these days! We have a plethora of them in the office, which come from Office Depot.

• 2 Patti // Oct 10, 2007 at 9:15 am

We have Sigg bottles. I realized my son had been drinking out of plastic cups and bottles all his life – eek!

• 3 TheBon // Oct 10, 2007 at 11:12 am

Yep, the Sigg bottles are great. My husband carries his iced tea to work in one every day. They’re lightweight and neat looking and are easy to drink out of and do really keep things cold for much longer than you’d expect.

• 4 herschel // Oct 10, 2007 at 11:30 am

breville makes some amazing small electric appliances. i thought a blender was a blender was a blender … until THEIR blender.

• 5 April // Oct 10, 2007 at 1:56 pm

I wouldn’t recommend the Breville hot water pot. We used it for a couple weeks and could not stand the taste of hot plastic. It was awful…

• 6 paola // Oct 10, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Yep. Laura Mercier moisturiser is aces.

• 7 Nan // Oct 10, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Sigg bottles are the coolest! The best place to get them is oddly enough..Joe’s (formerly GI Joe’s Sporting and Outdoors) Outdoors at the Bellevue location. Right now, Bartells has a nice selection at 20%? 25%? off which makes them temporarily cheaper than Joes but the selection is limited.

• 8 Wende // Oct 10, 2007 at 6:45 pm

I just wrote about Blinc Kiss Me mascara on my site. I’m a huge fan… it creates little tubes that won’t smudge off and are NorthWest weather proof!

• 9 missv // Oct 10, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Before you buy the kettle, make sure that you can hold the kettle by the handle and still see the water level indicator.

I have a Breville Moda stainless steel kettle. It’s a lovely design aesthetically (quite similar to the Ikon) but because the water level indicator is tucked behind the handle, you can’t see how far you have filled it when you put it under the tap (your hand & the handle obscure it) – very frustrated!

• 10 Jennifer // Oct 11, 2007 at 6:47 am

I only only use Uniball extra fine for my proofreading jobs.

I really like my Le Creuset tea kettle.

• 11 ljc // Oct 11, 2007 at 11:24 am

the slate did a good review of water bottles…

I went for the sigg…

• 12 ljc // Oct 11, 2007 at 1:14 pm

The Slate did a pretty good review on water bottles.

I went for the Sigg…

• 13 Sara // Oct 11, 2007 at 1:47 pm

I love my Capresso electric kettle. You can take a 20% off coupon to Bed Bath & Beyond, have them special order it for you and they don’t even care that Capresso is excluded from the coupon. I did this because nobody ever had it on sale the whole 10 months I coveted it.

• 14 Haven // Oct 11, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Breville seems to be the most trusted brand of kettles here in NZ – we’ve bought one recently but are saving it for the new house(I love saying that!). So until next weekend, have no review for you yet!

• 15 V // Oct 11, 2007 at 7:21 pm

Have you tried looking at the University Book Store for the type of pen you like? I think they’ve got a pretty good selection.

• 16 kettunainen // Oct 13, 2007 at 1:05 pm

Kleen Kanteen is superior to SIGG, IMHO. I have one of each and the SIGG gets dirtier more quickly (as in, it gets stinky inside and the water tastes funny) and is more difficult to clean thoroughly due to the narrow neck.

Also, in a pinch, if you’re out camping or find yourself in a strange situation where you have to heat up food/liquids over a flame and all you have is your metal waterbottle, you’ll be SOL with a SIGG, since the flames will mess with the enameled outside, but you’ll be A-OK with a Kleen Kanteen… as long as you have a safe way to get it off the flames without burning the crap out of your hands. :-)

• 17 Katie // Oct 17, 2007 at 12:47 pm

oohh, I have SIGG and love it!! I haven’t had any problems with it like the ones described above. I got mine at Delight – I love that they pick out the cute designs