rainy return from the road trip

va_ca_shun

We returned from our road trip last week to find a dark and rainy Seattle waiting for us, it was a big contrast to the sparklingly clear weather we enjoyed all the days we were away. We had a great time, thanks in a large part to everybody who gave us great suggestions on what to do. Thank you so much for all of those, our trip managed to have just the right amount of stuff we wanted to see and time where we didn’t need to be anywhere in particular. We had aebleskivers, sampled wines, drove the whole length of the Columbia River Gorge, invented a gang sign, stayed in charming hotels, saw (a version of) Stonehenge, visited with friends and survived a flat tire.

If you enjoy vacation slides, you can see all mine here at Flickr, the set starts here.

We stayed at two McMenamin’s hotels on our trip, and my favorite was Edgefield. I hope to plan another trip to see the collection of waterfalls and stay at Edgefield for a few nights. The grounds hold several restaurants and bars so you’re free to wander the grounds with a drink in hand, and there is so much to discover there. The grounds had a golf course and expertly designed gardens you could wander through, there seemed to be a smooching bench hidden around each corner, and we heard the place is haunted. I highly recommend you visit, either to stay or just to have a meal, if you’re ever in the area.

· comments [17] · 10-2-2007 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Anna // Oct 2, 2007 at 5:48 am

I went to Edgefield for my 30th birthday. I loved it there!

• 2 Sara // Oct 2, 2007 at 6:39 am

Glad you loved your trip through my Portland! I was married at Edgefield this summer and all our our guests from far away loved the concept of the place. So much to do (and drink) there!

• 3 Ahava // Oct 2, 2007 at 6:52 am

Edgefield is incredible. There are so many details waiting to be discovered.

• 4 Sara // Oct 2, 2007 at 7:55 am

Your trip looks like fun! It’s to bad Ferdinands wasn’t open, that is the best ice cream I’ve ever had!
    I like all of the beer pics!

• 5 Alexis // Oct 2, 2007 at 8:15 am

i’ll delurk on this one :) to say I had my 21st birthday at Edgefield. It was the best.

• 6 amanda // Oct 2, 2007 at 10:00 am

Okay, I’ve looked through those comments for mention of aebleskivers and can’t find it. I’ve looked them up and they look delicious! Where did you find them?

• 7 amanda // Oct 2, 2007 at 10:02 am

Oh sorry — just got to the pictures. Those look delicious! I’m sad they are not in Portland.

• 8 Haven // Oct 2, 2007 at 11:29 am

You and Scott are hilarious together – a gang sign for “old” people, ha! Fantastic!

• 9 Sean // Oct 2, 2007 at 2:31 pm

The pictures are wonderful! What’s your secret for getting such beautiful colors?

• 10 megan // Oct 2, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Sean – I’m afraid all I did in most places was use the “Auto” setting on my camera – a Canon Powershot A80. In lower light situations my camera performs pretty poorly so I set it to let in a lot of light but used the fastest ISO. (I honestly cannot remember what all the settings mean, I figured it out a few years ago and just go with it now.) We had clear weather for most of the trip so it was pretty easy to get good pictures.

• 11 paola // Oct 2, 2007 at 9:39 pm

One day Ian, Lulu and I are going to recreate EVERY detail of that trip :)

My goodness the weather has been horrendous this last week. Please don’t tell me we’ve got another nine months of this…

• 12 Emily // Oct 3, 2007 at 10:03 am

Have you been to the Kennedy School McMenimans? A friend had her rehearsal dinner there and I swear the place feels like it’s haunted. Did you know that McMenimens was trying to open a new location in the old seminary in Saint Edward State Park on the north end of Lake Washington? Not sure if they still are or not but it sure would be cool!! http://seattlest.com/2007/02/08/nimby_nitwits_try_to_kill_seminary_restoration.php

• 13 megan // Oct 3, 2007 at 10:41 am

Emily – Yes and yes. We wandered around the Kennedy School and I liked it. Last I heard the seminary plan was off, it’s too bad, McMenamins wouldn’t have restricted any of the foot traffic through the park, which was what the residents were concerned about. I’m afraid the building will just start to crumble, so depressing.

• 14 Kat // Oct 3, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Aebleskivers!!!!!! I grew up on Arne’s aebleskivers in Solvang as a little girl. I make my own at home here in Ellensburg, but to have some served up hot with cold raspberry jam without butning my own fingers??? What a treat!!
    I’ve tried to find aebleskivers everywhere and never had any success. Your pictures jumped off the screen and down my throat. I’m going up there tomorrow to get them! I’ll skip work, but I will make it back in time to hold my Girl Scout meeting. Priorities, ya’ know?!
    The funny thing is, my family settled in Leavenworth before the town was named. The cemetery is full of my relatives, though very few live there anymore. I wonder how long this restaurant has been around? How’d I miss it for so long?
    An offer: I’ll teach you to make your own aebleskivers if you’ll teach me to knit!
    ~Kat

• 15 Kat // Oct 4, 2007 at 9:28 pm

How absolutely crushing…the restaurant is not in Leavenworth as I assumed it was.
    No aebleskievers for me today. I’ll make ‘em for myself in the morning.
    appooof!

• 16 allison // Oct 7, 2007 at 11:00 pm

Ha! How boastful of me – I’m so glad to see that Tad’s beat out the Black Rabbit! I’m happy you enjoyed it. Now I want me some dumplings…

• 17 Angelina // Oct 10, 2007 at 7:10 am

Edgefield is the best of all the McMenamin’s in my opinion. It rekindled my desire to have an urban homesteader finishing school where you can come and stay for a week-end course on bread baking or canning. I love the buildings, but most especially enjoyed the kitchen and herb garden.