up to

watching:
Heroes Season One
By the end of Chapter Four we were kicking ourselves for wasting all that time watching Lost last year.

stocking:
Sahale snacks
Grown up trail mix for our road trip.

sipping:
Pinot Grigio
Sipping from our (admittedly varietal inappropriate) Riedel Bordeaux tumblers, which I totally love. This is a good white wine, and I usually don’t like whites. Serve it to your guests and don’t show them the box.

loving:
WallaWallaWine.com
Oh winery maps, I heart you.

eating:
Smarties
They are so pretty I’m more inclined to use them as impromptu mosaics for my desk, thank to Domicile for sending along!

· comments [34] · 09-27-2007 · categories:up to ·

• 1 Lexi // Sep 27, 2007 at 6:39 am

Thanks for all the great links! Don’t be ashamed of the wines by the box. Their are some great deals out there. I like to take them to parties, they last so much longer. Black box is another great one to try.

• 2 Abby // Sep 27, 2007 at 6:44 am

We’re on Episode 13! We gave up on Lost halfway through last year. Such a shame – it had such promise. Heroes is awesome! I must say that sometimes I feel like I’m missing out on TV shows (bc I work at night), but I totally dig watching an entire season, commercial-free, at my leisure. Fun stuff.

• 3 Kristine // Sep 27, 2007 at 7:06 am

I love Heroes. I’ve been re-watching season 1 all week!

• 4 amy // Sep 27, 2007 at 7:12 am

loved the heros series premiere the other night. Catch up fast so you can watch this season.
    And I promise… lost will pick up (i hope!)

• 5 Erica // Sep 27, 2007 at 8:05 am

Wow! I am watching Heros right now also! I am totally in love with it, I am going to have to buy it I think.

• 6 Carrie // Sep 27, 2007 at 9:09 am

Love that Target wine too! What’s great about it is that the wine stays fresh for much longer than when you open a bottle. It’s also great for cooking when you only need a half cup of wine.

• 7 Joanne // Sep 27, 2007 at 9:25 am

Ooooo! We were so in love with Heroes I had to order the DVD from amazon.com (it’s only half way through on BBC2 over here). Finished watching it last night and now I clearly need to move to the US to watch the second season…

• 8 Shane // Sep 27, 2007 at 9:47 am

Smarties are the best! As a transplant from Canada I was dissapointed to see that they were very hard, if not impossible, to find in the US! When I go home I always stock up! Another Canadian candy bar worth trying is Coffee Crisp…

• 9 Carrie // Sep 27, 2007 at 9:49 am

Ok, now I have to scour Targets to find that wine. I’ve never seen it before. I’m a fan of the boxed wines- I often drink Fish Eye- and they seem to have many more varieties than I usually see. Now I’m thirsty.

Did you watch all of the last season of Lost? I admit, the fall block was crap, but I think they really figured out their stuff as the season went on. I really liked it, but I also watch too much tv, probably.

Heroes is good too, don’t get me wrong. Just wait ’til you get to 5 Years Gone. That episode knocked my socks off.

• 10 Kate // Sep 27, 2007 at 9:53 am

Oooh I love the box wine at Target. They even make a cute little wrought iron stand to keep the box up high enough for glass refilling. It’s got a logo on the base, but I’ve covered it with a couple cute bar towels and it sits on my wine rack.

Now I can be all “healthy” and drink a glass a day without ruining a whole bottle…or becoming an alcoholic out of necessity in finishing every bottle myself. ;)

• 11 Lana // Sep 27, 2007 at 11:03 am

Ditto to Shane about canadian-chocolatey goodness. I moved from Toronto here to Colorado, and gosh do I miss the good stuff. Aero bars, Cadbury anything (but especially Caramilk). Yikes! May have to take an impromptu trip. Thanks for the fond food memories! When you mentioned the grapefruit mentos awhile back I almost cried…

• 12 susie // Sep 27, 2007 at 1:13 pm

i just started (and finished) watching heroes season one this week + your revelation made me laugh out loud with familiarity.

• 13 Jaye // Sep 27, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Oh how I love the Smarties. I always make people bring them to me when they go to Canada or Europe.

Why, oh why, can’t we have them in the US?

• 14 donner // Sep 27, 2007 at 1:44 pm

we’ve also just Netflixed the entire Season 1 of Heroes and just fell in love with it…I’m partial to Sylar, I think he’s a great badguy…And Hiro is such a cutie…

Start recording Season 2 on your TiVo so you don’t miss out when you finish Season 1…its too good to wait another year to see…!

• 15 dargie // Sep 27, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Totally with you on both Heroes and Lost. I had a Heroes marathon last weekend with the two friends who got me watching it to begin with, and we had such fun! If you haven’t got to “Company Man” yet, you really have a treat in store. I think it’s the best ep of the season.

• 16 Anna // Sep 27, 2007 at 2:11 pm

What the? Those aren’t really Smarties. Smarties are chalky and come in a tube plastic thing.

• 17 ex.libris // Sep 27, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Anna, those are *exactly* the kind of Smarties I am familiar with. The Bane of Halloween.

• 18 Susan (Plum Texan) // Sep 27, 2007 at 4:27 pm

I too laughed out loud at what you said about Heroes! My hubby and I were early adopters, and you couldn’t get me to do ANYTHING for love or money on Mondays! It’s the same this year. Catch up fast – you should be able to watch episode 1 of this season on NBC.com until Sunday, at least. Welcome to the club!

• 19 Merlinator // Sep 27, 2007 at 5:51 pm

MMMMM Smarties – my favourite as a kid (grew up in England). I once ate so many I got some sort of wierd rash. It was after they introduced the blue ones. Those pesky blue ‘E numbers’. My mum wouldn’t let me have them for ages afterward. I miss Smarties.

• 20 lindsay // Sep 27, 2007 at 7:50 pm

smarties are the best invention, ever! and heroes, don’t even get me started…
    you’re a girl after my own heart :)

• 21 amy // Sep 28, 2007 at 3:44 am

The boyfriend and I watched the extended unaired pilot last night- and saw there was a whole terrorist storyline (along with main characters) that the network pulled because it was a little too sensitive. We were like, “Wha-? Who is THAT? What’s going on?”

He thinks the show would have been better with it in. But he loves 24, so…

• 22 Vincci // Sep 28, 2007 at 9:13 am

Anna and ex.libris: We call them Rockets up here in Canada!

• 23 LisaLou // Sep 28, 2007 at 11:04 am

When I went to England in high school I came across Smarties and when I got back I wrote to the manufacturer about buying them in the US and apparently they can’t sell them here b/c of the trademark from other Smarties. Which I like as well but just not as much as the chocolatey one.

• 24 R Mah // Sep 28, 2007 at 4:13 pm

For those of you pining away for lovely canadian candy, Panhandle Premium Candy Co. (panhandlepremium.com) sells boxes or individual bars of all the canadian favorites. Their site looks kinda hokey, but the candy arrived super fast. Their based in Bellingham, WA I think. Cheaper than travelling across the border for some of you…

I love this outstanding site, BTW. Thank you for sharing.

• 25 sarah // Sep 28, 2007 at 6:31 pm

smarties are the best!! so much better than m&m’s.

• 26 Lauren // Sep 28, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Oh Smarties! I only ever see the in France, with a random sighting or two here, in Texas. I always loved eating these growing up and have brought them back the last few times that I’ve gone to France (my relatives live there), but they’ve recently changed the recipe. They’re less chocolate-y, and I’m not as crazy about them :x

• 27 paola // Sep 29, 2007 at 7:40 pm

I’ll bring you some back next time I go to the UK…

• 28 Olivia // Sep 29, 2007 at 11:43 pm

I am in love with Heroes- I have to say it is one of the best shows i have seen lately- & I was an early nay-sayer!

PS Great blog by the way!

• 29 Elsa // Sep 30, 2007 at 10:30 am

Always delighted to have a box wine recommendation! I’m the only wine drinker in my house, and I only want a glass or two with dinner, but I hate to see a bottle oxidizing in the fridge; the bag-box makes so much sense for an everyday wine.

• 30 jenncharina // Sep 30, 2007 at 9:09 pm

i’ve spent the WHOLE weekend watching heroes season 1 too… you’re right, i’ve wasted a LOT of time watching lost

• 31 Okwes // Oct 1, 2007 at 6:23 pm

Heros is AWESOME! Just saw ep. 2 of the new season, and I have to say it made me love Masi Oka more!! ^_^ He is so cute!!

Ok, I need to cut down on coffee. LOL!

• 32 splatgirl // Oct 1, 2007 at 8:11 pm

I am completely with you on the Heros thing, having also just completed chapter 4. I can’t decide if the fact that we’ll probably never catch up is a good thing or a bad thing.

• 33 elysa // Oct 11, 2007 at 12:31 pm

I love these “up to” posts I don’t know who came up with them, I have seen a few around but I am pretty sure I am going to steal the idea. The wine box is at least pretty, I haven’t tried it though, maybe I should. I am a certified wino

• 34 vickilicious » Consumption Mash-Up // Oct 17, 2007 at 3:52 pm

[...] Of course I’ve seen these sorts of lists on other blogs (notmartha’s and ljc’s sidebar are especially good examples), and I’ve resisted sloppy imitation, but lately I have a really good cocktail going. I also hope that by sharing what I’m into (with excessive explication), I can get good recommendations for future consumption. [...]