links: beauty and shopping

Slate tries out reusable water bottles.

Belt with a built in measuring system. Motivation or worst nightmare? at Swiss Miss.

“School uniforms are rational. Why? Because they greatly reduce the class stress caused by teen fashions, by flashy back-to-school items.” As someone who attended Catholic school for eight years I think I’m qualified to say: HA! The only thing wearing a uniform taught me was that class differences show themselves in small, subtle ways in clothing, I still have no idea where the rich girls bought their shirts.

Urban cup holder, at Swiss Miss. I would have loved one of these while I was in college, I was constantly needing to set something down to dig a subway pass or library card out of my bag.

Product Review: Trish McEvoy Protective Shield Concealer at Faking Good Breeding

If you aren’t already familiar with The Sampler Indie Fixx lays it all out for you.

Buying Parking Spots at Oh Happy Day, how I wish I knew about this a few years ago. Note to self: write about reserving parking in Seattle.

Five Home Beauty Gadgets That Really Work at the Beauty Brains, I love it when they do these.

· comments [19] · 09-25-2007 · categories:beauty · shopping ·

• 1 Nightfall // Sep 25, 2007 at 8:23 am

The link for Urban cup holder is the link for the school uniforms. I must see this cupholder!

• 2 perry smith // Sep 25, 2007 at 9:04 am

just fyi-

the ‘urban cup holder’ link ref is a duplicate of the ‘school uniform’ link.

• 3 Jesse // Sep 25, 2007 at 9:13 am

I agree about school uniforms – there was something about a handknitted jersey, even though it was in regulation colours and the pattern given out by the school, that you could never quite rise above ;)

• 4 Anna // Sep 25, 2007 at 9:27 am

So true about uniforms. Shoes and jewelry too!

• 5 LL // Sep 25, 2007 at 9:40 am

Is this the cupholder link??

• 6 MontanaJen // Sep 25, 2007 at 9:45 am

am – here’s the link. I just googled ‘urban cup holder’. Swiss Miss was my 1st hit.

MJ

• 7 MontanaJen // Sep 25, 2007 at 9:45 am

MJ

• 8 Haven // Sep 25, 2007 at 12:46 pm

School uniforms – yep, all the kids with money wore blue dickies (cool) while the less fortunate actually got their blue, pleated tapered pants at Walmart.

• 9 kettunainen // Sep 25, 2007 at 12:47 pm

shoes, jewelry, purses, PENS AND PENCILS fer cryin’ out loud… anything and everthing becomes fair game for classist drama. ugh.

• 10 courtney // Sep 25, 2007 at 1:54 pm

You know, I do agree with you for the most part about school uniforms. However the school’s that the article talks about are issuing their kids uniforms. That might be a little different. But then there is always jewelry shoes and backpacks/purses, and even cars as the kids get older. So even issuing uniforms might not work.

• 11 Bubbles // Sep 25, 2007 at 3:12 pm

My argument against school unforms, when people brought up the equalizing factor, is “and what will you wear on the weekends? After school? To parties? Should we create a national uniform that everyone should always wear so that nobody ever feels out of place?” Uniforms don’t address the problems at hand, they cover them up.

• 12 Manders // Sep 25, 2007 at 3:40 pm

My school tried to solve the problem by making us all shop at the same store (if you wore something from somewhere else, you got busted), which did help in a way that we were all wearing the same expensive, butt-ugly clothes (heh). But, like Bubbles said, what do you do after school? What do you do when the guy next to you is talking about his $500 Takamine guitar when you’ve got a $100 Gibson knockoff? (Okay, maybe that last part’s just me.)

• 13 Emilee // Sep 25, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Uniforms are simply not the panacea that the pro-uniform folks would have us believe. However, it does solve the problem of what to wear every day. That’s worth something. And a uniform is much easier to deal with than the super-restrictive dress codes that some schools are implementing. Find a white polo and a navy skirt. Check. Find something an eight-year-old will wear without any words or designs bigger than a quarter, that has both a collar sleeves and goes to the knees. Much more difficult.

• 14 jamie // Sep 26, 2007 at 7:45 am

i liked my uniform because i didn’t have to stress about what to wear. i could buy regular clothes for dances, tag days (i.e. non-uniform days), and the weekends. also, not sure about these days, but when i was in high school the kids with more money were usually the least concerned with the types of shoes/jewelry/etc. they wore or what backpack they carried to school. socioeconomic issues are always going to be around with or without uniforms. but they do give kids and parents one less thing to worry about on a daily basis, so i’m all for them.

• 15 Mer // Sep 28, 2007 at 9:16 am

Kids will always find some way to stratify themselves. At my school it was shoes and backpacks. Also, I learned absolutely nothing about what looks good on me since I wore uniforms for ten years. Starting public school as a junior in high school was a real shock for me.

• 16 megan // Sep 28, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Alright, the Urban Cupholder link is fixed in the entry – sorry about that and thanks to everybody who put the correct link in the comments!

• 17 melissa // Mar 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I’m all for the uniforms, too. I went to Catholic school all 12 years. At the time I was sick of wearing the uniform, but really..big deal. In the scheme of all things. I think the restriction taught me to find alternate ways to express creativity.

I know that’s not a popular opinion, though. I’m also of the opinion that its good to pay off your credit card every month, say your prayers every night and that organic food is kind of a rip off.

• 18 melissa // Mar 16, 2011 at 6:27 pm

P.S. Love your website, though! : )

• 19 melissa // Mar 16, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Now I feel bad because I read your stuff all the time and I think you’re cute as hell. The uniform thing was the only time I ever went, “Naaahhhh.”

AND up till now its the only time I’ve ever commented.

One really shouldn’t focus on the negative. You don’t. And from now on, neither shall I.

Please forgive. M