up to

experimenting:
Baker’s Edge pan
I love this, more later.

getting used to:
new haircut
I went to Derby. I think I like it but it’s so different. (Apologies for the Simpsonized picture, I tried and failed to get a good photograph of my hair.)

using:
Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray
I also got the Surf Spray, I think they work well but I don’t have a huge base for comparison. I’m new to this whole hair styling thing.

looking forward to:
Columbia City Farmers’ Market
More peaches please.

reading:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Suicide King
I grabbed this book to read on vacation but didn’t realize this until I’d started reading — it’s a choose your own adventure story. Awesome.

· comments [23] · 08-13-2007 · categories:up to ·

• 1 kate1976 // Aug 13, 2007 at 6:51 am

A Buffy choose-your-own adventure story?? I HAVE to get me one of those!!! Awesome!!

• 2 Lisa // Aug 13, 2007 at 10:19 am

What did you think of Derby? My sister went there for her last 2 cuts/color since she read about their “best brunette” accolades. She’s been trying to convince me to go, but since I just want a haircut at this point, I’m not convinced that I should drive all the way to Seattle for it…

• 3 megan // Aug 13, 2007 at 11:10 am

Lisa – I liked Derby a lot, I didn’t feel weird there.

• 4 lindsay // Aug 13, 2007 at 11:32 am

Does the baker’s edge pan really work? Details, please!!!

• 5 Andrea // Aug 13, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Get B&B products here discounted – I love this site!

• 6 megan // Aug 13, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Lindsay – It does, and very well. I’ve made two batches of brownies, which I will report on, and tonight I’m planning some lasagna.

• 7 Patia // Aug 13, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Please consider reviewing the B*B stuff — I’m forever in search of a volumizer that will actually work in my hair.

• 8 nazilam // Aug 13, 2007 at 2:54 pm

I am coveting your brownie pan.

You must try several different kinds of brownies = cake, moist, fudgy, with nuts, without, with amendments etc. and create a matrix of the ease of cutting, lifting, edginess versus gooeyness for the curious.

I haven’t been to derby, but I heard its great. I go to Red, and I love my waxer and my stylist, but the parking… Oy!

nm

• 9 Kristi // Aug 13, 2007 at 4:09 pm

A choose your own adventure book with Buffy! That’s ingenious.
    and I’ve wanted that baking pan for the past six months. I eager to hear a review.

• 10 Karan // Aug 13, 2007 at 6:58 pm

I have the Baker’s Edge pan and it makes the best brownies in the entire universe. If I wasn’t already hitched, I would so marry it!

• 11 Kristin // Aug 14, 2007 at 2:35 am

I’ve been lusting after that pan for a while. When I make brownies, I only eat the edges after about a day of going stale so their more substantial and chewier. That pan would make more corners and more edges! Yay!

Also, I know you used to post your reading, trying, eating, etc. in your side bar, but just changed it to your main posts. Where did you find the html code for that? I’m looking for something similar, but haven’t found anything good yet.

• 12 megan // Aug 14, 2007 at 7:44 am

Kristin – I coded it myself. This site is based on a heavily modified WordPress template, and I simply hardcoded the old up to items into a section that only appears on the home page.

• 13 jess C // Aug 14, 2007 at 12:42 pm

I have the same haircut and I’m really happy with it!

• 14 lindsay // Aug 14, 2007 at 3:30 pm

lasagna! you must post pictures of that, pretty please. what a brilliant idea. i think i just found a way to show my hubby how much we really need this.
    thank you!

• 15 Elaine // Aug 16, 2007 at 8:15 am

Thanks for the Derby tip – I’ve been looking for a new salon. I went last night (stylist = Lyndsey) and am very happy!

• 16 katie // Aug 17, 2007 at 11:59 am

I recently started going to Derby (Elizabeth) and have been really happy with the cuts, waxing and color. I highly recommend checking them out!

• 17 McAuliflower // Aug 17, 2007 at 9:21 pm

funny! I too was enjoying all the hairstyles on the simpsonize me site. They did a nice job there- I realized I want a haircut. :)

• 18 Emma // Aug 25, 2007 at 6:56 pm

Not to be a downer, but I’ve had really bad experiences at Derby-the appointment people were spacey, the stylist was cold, and she actually nicked my neck and then didn’t even offer me a bandaid! It’s pricey for all that and not worth the (admittedly) cute hairness that resulted. I like my hairstylist to be more warm and fuzzy-ish (and not take a razor to my neck!), but maybe that’s just me.

• 19 Emma // Aug 25, 2007 at 6:58 pm

ps: the john frieda beach hair stuff you get at the drugstore works just as well and is much cheaper:)

• 20 megan // Aug 25, 2007 at 7:25 pm

Emma – Thanks for the recommendation for the John Frieda stuff, according to Makeup Alley it has been discontinued, and I’m unable to find it on the John Frieda site, or anywhere else.

I’m sorry your experience at Derby was so bad. Mine was a very good experience. I have a long history of horrible salon visits , so I can sympathize. I hope you found a stylist you like.

• 21 Emma // Aug 25, 2007 at 9:09 pm

Sad about the John Frieda stuff! I forget, since I have a half full bottle I break out every once in a while during the summer:) Not sure if we have the same hair type (mine’s curly/thick with a tendency to be poofy and frizzy) but right now I’m using a bumble and bumble curl conscious creme that I like and that lets my hair be straight or wavy, depending on what I do with it. The beach spray stuff can leave my hair a little greasy, which I don’t enjoy-I’m also trying Halo’s curl enhancing creme, which I think I like more-I’m kind of a hair product whore.

I’m glad you had a good experience at derby…I did find a salon I liked, Au Courant on Mercer Island. Same price, less attitude, don’t let the whole MI thing freak you out. If you ever get sick of Derby, try Pam there, she’s hilarious.

Love your site!

• 22 megan // Aug 25, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Emma – Thanks, I have straightish thin hair, so the B&B Surf spray works wonders to give me the illusion of volume. I do wish the Frieda stuff was still available so I could compare it. Thanks for the recommendation to Au Courant. When we moved here we lived on Mercer Island for a few weeks before we found a place to rent, so I’m familiar with the area. Does MI have a place to get bacon and eggs yet? When we lived there the only breakfast type of restaurant was a bagel place, we found that sort of sad.

• 23 Emma // Aug 26, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Alas, the MI is home to thirty starbucks and nary a good breakfast place. When they started building all of the condos, we were hoping to get some good new restaurants, but there’s only Bennett’s, which is owned by the Beecher Cheese people, and so apparently they make good mac and cheese. There’s always the pancake corral in bellevue if you need your monthly helping of butter, and someone mentioned a new retro-ish diner called Geraldine’s Counter in Columbia City, but if you’re in Seattle proper you can just go to crave and call it a day:) Sweeeet.