– You will come to an immediate and shockingly clear understanding of what “property value” means.
– Get the home inspected. Don’t skip this because you think you need to act quickly. (This advice comes from three separate parties, including my parents.)
– Start the garden or landscaping early. You can shop for chairs in the winter but that shrub you’ll be planting to block out the view of the neighbor’s window won’t grow itself.
– Buy all white dishes, buy dishes that are all the same, they are so much easier to fit into kitchen cabinets this way.
– If you get narrower glasses and mugs you can fit more into the dishwasher.
– You cannot move your neighbors farther away from your house, no matter how hard you want to.
– Be very grateful of quiet and polite neighbors. Greet them cheerfully whenever you happen to both be outside.
– Don’t hate on the stove in the place you live while you’re house hunting because the house you buy might have the exact same stove.
– Don’t hate on the cheap, off white formica countertops in the place you live while you’re house hunting because the house you buy might have the exact same countertops.
– When it appears previous owners have done unspeakable things to the drywall around light switches and outlets, those generic plastic extra large covers you can find at Home Depot are your friends.
– Taking the time to rewire the switches and outlets with shiny new white ones makes a remarkable difference. But, goodness, turn all the electricity off at the source!
– Taking the time to label all your breaker switches will save you a lot of time you would otherwise spend shouting “This one?!” “No!” “This one!?” “Not it!” “This one!!?” “Nope.” every single time you want to turn some electricity off.
– When house hunting don’t be too wary of the Harley parked in front of the house across the street, it might turn out to be owned by really friendly lesbians!
– If you have not met your neighbors yet a delivery of cookies with a card at Christmas will be not go unappreciated.
– Having a finished basement means all-natural air conditioning for those two really hot weeks in the year.
– Go to the block party.
– Yard work still sucks when you own the yard.