links: food

Baking powder buscuits at Laura Dot Cooks.

Cool jazz ice cube stirrers shaped like little guitars. Scott looked over my shoulder just now and indicated that he’d also like to have the guitar and amp in the picture. At AT:LA.

How to poach chicken at The Kitchen.

Help me start eating more salad at Ask Metafilter.

Bacon Salt: Food of the Gods, or Actually a God? Extensive tasting notes on this “vegetarian kosher zero-calorie seasoning salt that tastes just like bacon”, at Seattlest.

Tillamook’s macaroni and cheese contest, via Citizen Rain.

Giant lego cake pan at Consume.

Chocolate and Zucchini makes Caramelized Chicken with Green Olives and Prunes (and gives the recipe) which is really, really delicious. I’m lucky enough to know that because it’s the same recipe as the Chicken Marbella that Lulife made for the food swap. I miss that chicken.

Ice Bar: Bullshit or What?, with information from a scientist and everything. At the Slog.

Oh baby, Hearst Castle shortbread recipe, at 101 Cookbooks.

Frito Pie 101 at The Stranger.

· comments [10] · 08-3-2007 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 Mer // Aug 3, 2007 at 7:03 am

Holy cow! I grew up on Frito Chili Pie as a kid in Northwest Louisiana. I am so tickled that someone up in your neck of the woods would find it appealing.

If you don’t want to go to the trouble of making chili, I use Hormel canned chili WITHOUT beans. And the article is right – it only works with Fritos, otherwise it gets soggy too fast.

• 2 megan // Aug 3, 2007 at 7:36 am

Mer – Thanks for the tips! Truthfully I had never heard about it until Jane and Michael Stern did a report on where to find it in Santa Fe. I was surprised to find out Frito Pie is something offered as school lunches, beats our cold cheese pizza.

• 3 Emily // Aug 3, 2007 at 8:22 am

Oh of course now that I’m not a kid anymore someone comes out with a Lego Cake Pan! A dream come true for this childhood Lego Maniac. Frito Pie was definitely not on the menu at my Elementary school outside Minneapolis. But boy it should have been! Kids these days a so lucky.

• 4 bitessa // Aug 3, 2007 at 10:59 am

I’m partial to Wolf brand chili. No beans, of course, because real chili does not have beans. Go to a chili cook-off in Texas and people will fight over that. heh

I think I know what I’m having for lunch now…

• 5 jamie // Aug 3, 2007 at 11:02 am

i love the lego cakepan. i just wonder how well you could ice in between the cracks (unless you just break it into little legos), and the nubs on top, and still have it resemble a lego. hmmm…

jamie

• 6 Gina // Aug 3, 2007 at 11:58 am

I had a question, but someone already asked it… How do you frost that? Maybe you could use one of those airbrush tools like they have at professional bakeries, and just Earl Scheib the sucker.

• 7 nazilam // Aug 3, 2007 at 2:28 pm

I am so going to make that chicken dish. I don’t care if my TH hates olives, it looks beautiful.

• 8 allison // Aug 3, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Oh, honey. My beloved Frito pie. I had my first and only real Frito pie back at a street fair in Olympia when I was a kid… easily 25-30 years ago. It was served in the bag and everything. I still think of it whenever I drive through that town.

• 9 Patti // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:06 am

My favorite biscuit recipe is from Bread Alone. It has yeast as well as baking powder, and you can make a ton of them and freeze them. I’m so happy it’s only supposed to be in the 70s for the next week, I can do some baking!

LOVE the Lego cake pan, but, me too, how do you frost it without losing the details?

• 10 Tara // Aug 5, 2007 at 3:07 pm

I used the Lego pan for brownies: http://www.flickr.com/photos/supersnackcake/540963381/ The brownies were huge and thick and yummy, weighing in at about 1/4 lb each.

I’ll never make something cakey in it again though, as it’s a nightmare to clean — even my dishwasher couldn’t do the job completely.