Orcas Island is nice

I was asked to be a speaker at BlogHer in Chicago this year but I turned it down as I was attending the wedding of some friends. Do I regret not going to BlogHer? Yes, but that regret was tempered by some outdoor soaking tubs with a view of the water off of Orcas Island.*

The wedding was amazingly well done, the couple rented out the entire Doe Bay resort and filled all the cabins, yurts and camping spaces with guests so everybody there was only separated by a few degrees despite living as far away as Tel Aviv. The weekend was beautiful, even the salad was pretty:

We stayed in a dome that was perched on a cliff over the water. It was a bit of glamping as we had a real bed with real linens. I am also finding that if you are able, bringing along your own down comforter is a must. Luckily we have an old olive colored duvet cover which is perfect for dragging through the outdoors. Here is the view through the plastic windows of our dome:

From here you can see the point of land where the ceremony took place, it had an amazing backdrop of water and islands in the distance.

We took a few extra days to stay on the island once the wedding was over, and after searching through all your excellent recommendations we decided to stay right there at Doe Bay in a cabin. The cabins were really nice and we had some good porch time at dusk. We did island things – lots of eating on decks, watching sea birds and gazing at views from way up high. I even managed to avoid getting a sunburn or breaking my sunglasses.

I want to show you the wedding invitation because it opened up like a little adventure all it’s own…

When you open it the sun rises:

Lower the bottom flap and you get a hazy view:

You fold back the top two layers (the one not shown had the invitation details) to reveal a map of the island:

The tree folds down to show the schedule, and the Orca whale jumps in the water:

Also the couple made personalized figurines of each guest, which were collected along with table assignments for dinner. It was so sweet to be given such a special favor. Scott is playing a guitar, and I’m knitting while sitting on a cupcake (or possibly wearing a cupcake skirt):

* (I don’t have pictures from the soaking tub perch as they were clothing optional and I’m not about to be that person that pulls out a camera and makes everybody nervous. Know that Scott and I were well covered by bathing suits at all times, we’re from the Midwest and just don’t feel comfortable baring that much.)

· comments [20] · 08-1-2007 · categories:mumbling · seattle ·

• 1 ks // Aug 1, 2007 at 10:15 am

It all looks so lovely. I want to go glamping!

• 2 amy // Aug 1, 2007 at 10:37 am

amazing wedding invitation! So original!!

• 3 Jessica // Aug 1, 2007 at 10:54 am

looks like a fabulous place. and what a unique & cool invite!

• 4 Seattlejo // Aug 1, 2007 at 11:03 am

Isnt it wonderful? Glad you enjoyed :-)

I cant wait to go back.

• 5 Michelle // Aug 1, 2007 at 11:27 am

oh my goodness.
    it sounds so wonderful!

although that wedding must have cost a fortune to do! all of those wonderful little treats in such a wonderful setting.

golly, i hope my wedding is as craftacularly tremendous.

• 6 Lady S // Aug 1, 2007 at 1:25 pm

Glamping? I think I could handle that.

Those look like the best favors ever!

• 7 Rachael // Aug 1, 2007 at 3:49 pm

Love the invitations and the figurines. What a great idea. We are looking at staying in the San Juans later this year. I’ll have to keep DoeBay in mind.

• 8 mary // Aug 1, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Thank you for sharing all this. My husband and I have been wanting to go to Orcas Island, and the cabins bissful.

Love wedding invitions and gifts too. It’s so nice to see those personal touches at weddings.

• 9 Alicia P. // Aug 1, 2007 at 8:36 pm

DAMN that makes me want to go on vacation.

Also, get a wedding invitation that is that cool.

Sigh. Hi Megs. xo

• 10 Anita // Aug 2, 2007 at 5:59 am

At the moment, I am fascinated with yurts. I haven’t done the glamping thing yet, but it sounds intriguing.

It’s reminds me of this lodge in Banff – Shadow Lake Lodge. You hike in 8 or so miles to Shadow Lake. Stay in log cabins, sleep under down comforters, and eat gourmet meals while during the day, hiking in the most beautiful wilderness.

• 11 bill // Aug 2, 2007 at 6:01 am

Prior to this, my definition of ‘roughing it’ was ‘slow room service’. I may have to change that…

• 12 Abby // Aug 2, 2007 at 6:43 am

Those are the most incredible wedding invitations I’ve ever seen. Scrapbooking is taking over the world! (Those are total scrapbooking techniques!) What a lovely time you must have had.

• 13 maddi // Aug 2, 2007 at 9:51 am

Hey! That is great! I am getting married there next August and my friend forwarded me your post. Any chance I could get hooked up with your friends that got married there? I’d love to get some advice about whatever.
    If they are into sharing a bit my email is missmaddeye@gmail.com

Thanks

• 14 greta // Aug 3, 2007 at 8:51 am

ah yes, the clothing optional hottubs. i stayed at doe bay several years ago, but it sounds exactly the same!

• 15 chica // Aug 4, 2007 at 5:35 am

Awesome experience! Glad you enjoyed it.

• 16 Amber // Aug 5, 2007 at 10:08 am

Wow. This place looks amazing. Very nice wedding invitation.

• 17 Jes // Aug 5, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Oh wow. Do you have more photos on Flickr, perhaps? I adore the ideas & things they used for their wedding, and would be so happy to see more!

Thank you, thank you for sharing.

• 18 Dave // Sep 14, 2007 at 5:16 am

Who designed the invites?

• 19 Chiara // Sep 26, 2007 at 12:03 pm

PLease please please could you let me know where I can find those invitations? THey are just stunning.
    Thanks,
    chiara

• 20 Michal // Jan 7, 2008 at 10:08 am

Hey, this was my wedding! I just randomly fell onto this site. Thanks for all the great comments. I loved my wedding, as I am sure every bride does, but it was certainly not without its mishaps. My sister made the invitations – she rocks! her company is called blue vellum (www.blue-vellum.com). We’re still getting our photos organized, but I’ll post the link here in case you are interested. Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to chat about planning a wedding, or Doe Bay, I would be happy to (michalrusso@gmail.com)Thanks! you ladies made my week, Michal