links: the home

Sound proofing materials for creating an at home recording studio, at Ask Metafilter.

Tee Nuts, what they are and how to use them, at the Told Oldham Studio blog.

Driftwood sunburst mirror, I’ll have to keep this around. I bought a convex mirror from Target that I’m going to surround with some sort of DIY sunburst. AT Happy Mundane.

How to make your home Shelter Mag picture worthy, at the Chicago Tribune. Also read about the experience that Alicia from Posie Gets Cozy had when a magazine come to photograph her home here.

Transferring a desing from a drinking glass to the walls in a room, I like this a lot. At Oh Joy!

Random thing I learned this week: I like Krylon glass frosting spray paint far better than American Tradition or Rustoleum.

from Apartment Therapy sites:

Bach garment holder, I want a bunch of these for the bedroom and bathroom.

How to make an outdoor awning.

A wee bit too late for my problems: repelling cats from your garden using cinnamon.

SmartNozzle, a brush that attches to the end of your hose, this would be great to help knock the spiderwebs (renewed daily) off my deck.

All about Paperstone recycle countertops, I’ve been eyeing these for a while now.

Point. Click. Design., easy room layout software online, nice.

aMAIZEing Biobased Sovent, safe for you and the environment. See also: SoyGel Paint Stripper at Mirror Mirror.

Green Clean, the environmentally sound guide to cleaning your home.

· comments [8] · 07-30-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Patti // Jul 30, 2007 at 6:47 am

I love the Paperstone countertops – someday when I can do stuff in my kitchen, I’m definitely getting those. Though I’d love to see what they look like in a real kitchen after 5 – 10 years.

• 2 candice // Jul 30, 2007 at 7:42 am

oh, pleasepleaseplease do the homemade sunburst thing, and take lots and lots of pictures and tell us how to do it!! i love those mirrors, but can’t really afford the ones i see for sale and wouldn’t begin to know how to make one myself. i’m already excited!

• 3 Gina // Jul 30, 2007 at 11:44 am

Funny, I think those garment holders are based on an old-fashiondy design. My grandfather had them in his house. In fact, I photographed one:

• 4 girlrobot // Jul 30, 2007 at 1:40 pm

oooh thanks for the tip on the krylon! I was looking for something like that

• 5 daria // Jul 30, 2007 at 4:12 pm

where did you find krylon around here? I’m interested in one of their products (uv-protectant for weatherproofing fabric) but keep only finding rustoleum in stores.

• 6 megan // Jul 31, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Daria – I completely forget. I want to say it was Home Depot or Lowes, but this time around I couldn’t find it either place. Maybe I grabbed it at a smaller Ace neighborhood hardware store?

Gina – I’ve seen those too. The ones from the Apartment Therapy site are a lot bigger, I think.

• 7 Melissa // Aug 5, 2007 at 8:24 pm

We have a Richlite vanity top. It’s much like Paperstone. We adore it because it has real depth of texture and color. It feels like a cross between ceramic and slate, only softer. And we just rub in a little mineral oil (available at your friendly neighborhood drugstore for a few bucks) now and then and it repels water and keeps a lovely luster.

• 8 megan // Aug 8, 2007 at 11:47 am

Daria – I found Krylon spray paints at Ace hardware stores, including the glass frosting spray!