I’m knitting a sweater: forward and backward

the sweater: Ribby Cardi by Bonne Marie Burns
the yarn: Cotton-Ease in charcoal

I had begun the armhole shaping on the back of the sweater while we were watching the last few episodes of the first season of Doctor Who. I was about ten rows in when I noticed that I had different numbers of stitches on either side, and that a few decreases were slanting the wrong way. I blame my mistakes on being distraught over the departure of Christopher Eccleston. I decided to rip out to just before the shaping started and do it over again. I was tempted to rip everything out altogether and start over using larger needles for the cast on, but I’m waffling. Whenever I actually hold it the cast on edge seems plenty stretchy, but when it’s not right in front of me I convince myself it could be better. In the name of sanity I decided not to start over. If it turns out too tight, I’ll know for sure.

I’m already planning on making a second Ribby Cardi using the instructions for doing all the body pieces together and the sleeves in the round (see those in my previous post). Maybe the next one will be Stone? Or Lime? Too bad there isn’t a solid red among the new Cotton-Ease colors, I don’t look good in warm colors, so Terracotta is out. Anyhow, I’m really eager to discover the differences between the sweaters with different construction – both in how they knit up and how they look and act when worn.

This week I also cast on for the left front using the smaller size needles. For this I did a 2×2 rib tubular cast on all the way across, ending with one purl and one knit to get the end. After that I started the pattern and the cast on edge fell into place with all the 2×2 and 3×1 ribs. I worked on the rows up until they call for the switch to the larger needles.

For the right front cast on I’ll have to double check whether to do to purl one and knit one at the beginning of the cast on or the end to get it to line up correctly. I suspect it’ll be at the beginning, but I don’t quite trust my suspicious.

I think I’m going to miss Christopher Eccleston’s Dr. Who more than I’m going to miss Harry Potter.

Previous sweater entries: first, second, third, fourth, fifth.

· comments [19] · 07-27-2007 · categories:knitting ·

• 1 Tasha // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:12 am

Good morning! Just wanted to remind you that hobbies are supposed to be relaxing, not stressful! It’s only a sweater; it will work out in the end. I find it helpful to occasionally read some Elizabeth Zimmermann to remind myself that I am the boss of my knitting!

• 2 Adrienne // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:23 am

That is going to be so pretty!

• 3 Ellen // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:43 am

No, you won’t miss Christopher Ecclestone so much when you get to David Tennant…

• 4 Laura VW // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:46 am

I have no advice to offer on the knitting issues, but can promise you that David Tennant does an excellent job as the latest Doctor Who. Trust me, when you start watching the next series, I think you’ll enjoy it.

• 5 Chris // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:54 am

I was distraught over Eccleston leaving, ready to staple the back of my hand to my forhead angstily, but quickly was charmed and won over by Tennant.

Embarrassingly Quickly, really. ;)Tennant makes a great doctor.

• 6 Sarah // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:54 am

Oh! I’ve been watching Dr Who too and just finished season 1! I too am distraught but haven’t managed to make any serious mistakes in my knitting yet (Dollar and a Half Cardigan)

I just read your other comments… I like David Tennant so far, but I’m still not convinced. Christopher Eccleston was just so good! David Tennant seems a bit more cartoonish. Now, even as a child I didn’t find Doctor Who hide-behind-the-couch scary, but I think with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor it really did seem scary sometimes! He was just that good!

• 7 megan // Jul 27, 2007 at 7:07 am

Tasha – Trust me, the sweater isn’t causing me any stress.

Thanks for commiserating the Dr. Who switch. I’m sure I’ll love David Tennant, but Christopher Eccleston will always be my first…

• 8 Dodi // Jul 27, 2007 at 8:22 am

I heart Christopher Eccleston too! I haven’t been able to move on to Season Two yet. I bought season one and have seen it about three times now. Plus I’ve been working my way through all his movies on Netflix, even the scary one I would normally avoid. That man does intense crazy-good. I recommend Second Coming.

• 9 Beth R. // Jul 27, 2007 at 12:49 pm

I really miss Christopher Eccleston as Doctor Who too. Perhaps he’ll do some wonderful movies instead.

• 10 Courtney // Jul 27, 2007 at 4:43 pm

You will love David Tennant. No need to worry about the doctor switch. Now your sweater, on the other hand…

• 11 rachel m // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:01 pm

i was really sad about loosing chris eccleston, but then i fell for david tennant. he just embodies the doctor for me, now i can’t bare the thought of him ever choosing to leave!

• 12 Kerry // Jul 28, 2007 at 5:21 am

David Tennant is amazing as the doctor! i can’t wait for the 4th series in march.

Have you watched any of torchwood yet? when its good its really good and when its bad its really quite bad

• 13 Oromin // Jul 28, 2007 at 2:16 pm

I’m just finishing the first season of Doctor Who too! (I’m watching Bad Wolf & The Parting of the Ways tonight.) I’m definitely going to miss Christopher Eccleston once I get to the second season…I know everybody says he’s awesome, but it just won’t be the same!

• 14 gin // Jul 28, 2007 at 4:43 pm

i will never get over the loss of chris eccleston – i just finished season three. tennant is just too sunshine and puppy dogs for me. you can always get a eccleston fix on the i am kloot – proof video (this is you tube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap88Nvq44uQ)

• 15 megan // Jul 31, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Kerry – We have not seen any Torchwood yet, I’m looking forward to it, though.

• 16 Lilly // Aug 1, 2007 at 12:12 am

I loved reading above that someone does miss Eccleston as he was wonderful, but I have fallen hard for Tennant (along with the majority). Tennant is a huge fan of the show, as well as a mighty fine actor, and it shows in how he approaches the role.

• 17 FAIRFAX // Aug 4, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Whaaaahhhh! I worshipped at the alter of Christopher Eccleston. I lived in Cardiff when they were filming the first season and we’d watch them shoot and a couple of months later, we’d watch the show. A lot of it was filmed in our neighbourhood. When I moved back to the states, i bought the DVD of the series, season 1. Apparently, my car is in a few shots in series two with the cybermen. A red volvo 940 estate, but I haven’t spotted it yet…

• 18 FAIRFAX // Aug 4, 2007 at 6:33 pm

PS… if you like Tennant, watch this… comedy sketch on BBC. hilarious.

• 19 FAIRFAX // Aug 4, 2007 at 6:33 pm