I had begun the armhole shaping on the back of the sweater while we were watching the last few episodes of the first season of Doctor Who. I was about ten rows in when I noticed that I had different numbers of stitches on either side, and that a few decreases were slanting the wrong way. I blame my mistakes on being distraught over the departure of Christopher Eccleston. I decided to rip out to just before the shaping started and do it over again. I was tempted to rip everything out altogether and start over using larger needles for the cast on, but I’m waffling. Whenever I actually hold it the cast on edge seems plenty stretchy, but when it’s not right in front of me I convince myself it could be better. In the name of sanity I decided not to start over. If it turns out too tight, I’ll know for sure.
I’m already planning on making a second Ribby Cardi using the instructions for doing all the body pieces together and the sleeves in the round (see those in my previous post). Maybe the next one will be Stone? Or Lime? Too bad there isn’t a solid red among the new Cotton-Ease colors, I don’t look good in warm colors, so Terracotta is out. Anyhow, I’m really eager to discover the differences between the sweaters with different construction – both in how they knit up and how they look and act when worn.
This week I also cast on for the left front using the smaller size needles. For this I did a 2×2 rib tubular cast on all the way across, ending with one purl and one knit to get the end. After that I started the pattern and the cast on edge fell into place with all the 2×2 and 3×1 ribs. I worked on the rows up until they call for the switch to the larger needles.
For the right front cast on I’ll have to double check whether to do to purl one and knit one at the beginning of the cast on or the end to get it to line up correctly. I suspect it’ll be at the beginning, but I don’t quite trust my suspicious.
I think I’m going to miss Christopher Eccleston’s Dr. Who more than I’m going to miss Harry Potter.