links: seattle

My neighborhood gets a Walk Score of 75, which is great unless you live here and know the area. The grocery story is a scary cigarettes-and-fourties corner shop, some of the restaurants listed are closed (and one is a church), and none of the bars are places you would go unless you had a death wish. I was amused to see that Seattest’s neighborhood in Wallingford scored a 71, but it’s a Far Less Likely To Get You Shot 71.

One of my current biggest fears is coming: bed bugs in Seattle.

Lee Rosenbaum’s take on SAM.

Shopping: Petaline focuses on artists from the Pacific Northwest. I love what they carry, and at the moment the fine art is catching my eye as I decorate my house. I’m not likely to have vases of flowers around, so why not paintings of vases of flowers?

Whaa! RIP Frites.

· comments [19] · 07-26-2007 · categories:seattle ·

• 1 Catherine // Jul 26, 2007 at 6:01 am

Err, my neighborhood scored a whopping 15! I live in a south seattle neighborhood, not a lot of stuff within walking distance and some of the stores on rainier avenue are sketchy at best.

• 2 Jennifer // Jul 26, 2007 at 6:22 am

My neighborhood got a 77, but I think that it’s gotten way short-changed….

• 3 m•riah // Jul 26, 2007 at 6:46 am

Oh dear thanks a ton, I was perfectly happy not reading that story on bedbugs…

I am terrified of bed bugs!

• 4 Rebecca // Jul 26, 2007 at 7:18 am

My “neighborhood” got a 9.

• 5 julie // Jul 26, 2007 at 8:06 am

my neighborhood got a 92 – but it SHOULD since i live in DC and don’t own a car and do everything by foot.

in contrast my college neighborhood (north end of tacoma, wa) received a 48, which is ridiculous because there’s everything within walking distance (or super easy bus ride).

neat website though. hopefully they’ll upgrade it in the future.

• 6 Emily // Jul 26, 2007 at 8:19 am

Julie you must be a UPS grad too! I loved living there during school, definitely walkable. My current neighborhood, Licton Springs in Seattle (what you’ve never heard of it?!?! Neither had I before I moved there. No worries.) scored an 82 but most of the places that you are supposed to walk to are on Aurora Ave and I certainly wouldn’t walk that direction unless I had a death wish. Megan, I totally agree that Wallingford got short changed on that score, 71 please!

• 7 Austin // Jul 26, 2007 at 8:22 am

Our part of Capitol Hill got a 91, which isn’t terribly surprising. We’ve got 4 grocery stores within walking distance, as well as a ton of great restaurants. It is too bad this site relies on google’s search, which seems to list things weirdly. For instance, it lists one of the group health facilities as a library which, if it is a library, is not a normal, publicly accessible one.
    Still, its a great little tool!
    Oh, on a completely unrelated note, has anyone in the Seattle area been enjoying the invasive Himalayan blackberries which are getting ripe now? I’ve been eating them everywhere I find them :)

• 8 krissy // Jul 26, 2007 at 8:23 am

don’t feel too bad about how your neighbourhood scored. i think it’s a neat site but not so accurate. my neighbourhood got a walking score of 58 but many places were left out and others were just plain wrong. it said the nearest library was 5.5 miles away when it’s really about a 3 minute walk. it didn’t even list any of the 6 schools in the neighbourhood…i’m feeling a little ripped off by my score, come to think of it! ;)

• 9 Jessica // Jul 26, 2007 at 8:29 am

You shouldn’t have left your place in Wallingford. It scores in the high 90s. :)

• 10 melissa // Jul 26, 2007 at 9:04 am

A-ha! Here’s the disappearing-reappearing post! :D

thanks for posting that Walk Score site. I had a good giggle as I entered in the house where I grew up in central PA (and my parents still live) and it actually score ZERO! hahahah I knew it was pickup
    trucks, beercans, Jerry Springer and inbreeding, but it’s nice to have that quantified. My only wish is that the site worked internationally, too so I could see what score my current address on the Thames would get. I think I’d win for “most improvement” anyway. :)

• 11 Mark Larson // Jul 26, 2007 at 9:05 am

My house got a 2. And to boot, there are no sidewalks around. Errrgh.

• 12 michelle // Jul 26, 2007 at 10:20 am

my address got a 15, which doesn’t surprise since I’m out in the burbs. And like other people have said, it does leave some things out and doesn’t take reality into account. My walking to the store involves walking along a highway without a sidewalk. Scary!

• 13 Jenny // Jul 26, 2007 at 10:54 am

Mines a 54, so you beat!

• 14 b // Jul 26, 2007 at 10:52 pm

I had bed bugs in New York. I think that I got them from my moving van, as I noticed them just a few weeks after moving in, and the infestation was still small. As such, I didn’t have a horrible time getting rid of them… but I did spend a few weeks breathing toxic chemicals as I frantically Fantastiked my walls every night, paranoid that the professional terminator’s job wasn’t enough and I would have to throw away my every belonging. (For bed bugs and for bed bugs alone, I skipped from all natural cleaners to nuclear.) Then I discovered doyourownpestcontrol.com. Once I bought their Bed Bug Kit, I was able to sleep well at night. Hopefully, just knowing that it’s out there can help you sleep, too!

• 15 Tina // Jul 27, 2007 at 4:06 am

My neighborhood scored a 92!

Several months ago I got a call from my son’s school counselor saying that a boy in my son’s class had bedbugs. The children in the class had to be checked out by their doctor before they could return to school.

Having recently read a 6 page article in the NY Times about the nightmare of having bedbugs in your home- I freaked out. I took his clothes and knapsack and put them in a plastic bag in my freezer. I examined his bed and room, and begged my doctor’s office to see him that day, to no avail. Fortunately, we dodged that bullet, but that evening my husband and I had ‘phantom itching.’ Not fun.

• 16 abby // Jul 27, 2007 at 7:43 am

to prevent the bugs from biting you.. spread instant hand sanitzier all over like lotion before you go to sleep. and if they do get you, put hydrogen peroxide on the bites.

it worked in honduras..

• 17 also abby // Jul 27, 2007 at 2:42 pm

…you live in the southend/CD, right? girl that’s where i grew up, and it’s the LAST place i’m scared to walk around at night in. in fact sometimes i’ll take the bus from my comfy little capitol hill bubble down to mt. baker and just walk around for a couple of hours, along my old routes from when i was a kid.
    don’t be scared! you want to see a truly terrifying neighborhood to talk around in by yourself? try frat row in the U district after dark on a saturday night.
    ugh.

• 18 Jamie // Jul 30, 2007 at 3:48 pm

I live in Eastlake and got a 66 but I’d say that’s high… Meany theater is not a movie theater.

• 19 megan // Jul 31, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Abby – I live around Columbia City, and there are bits that are not so great after dark.