Does stuff like this happen to you?

The cabinet around our bathroom sink was built over the only air vent in the room, and the kickboard of the vanity has a low dome cut into it to allow the warm air to get into the room. This is sort of nice in the winter because the rug feels like it’s been heated.

Yesterday I was expecting some friends to phone to let me know when they’d be swinging by to pick up something. The friends were in town from far away so it was sort of important that I get the call. I had been keeping my phone nearby all morning.

Early afternoon found me standing at my bathroom sink putting on eye shadow and powder. I was digging through my bag to find a compact when my phone fell out, bounced on the floor and slid right through the opening in the kickboard. Then I heard a metallic thunk. I was bent over, cheek pressed to the rug, to peer underneath the cabinet to confirm that, yes, it had fallen right down into the air vent and, no, I couldn’t see it at all. That’s exactly when my phone started to ring. (Living in a sitcom? Why yes, I am.) It was amplified from down there and sort of made it seem like the whole floor was letting me know someone was phoning me.

I ran downstairs to get some tools and mostly jabbed at the bottom of the cabinet before I figured out the kickboard wasn’t too difficult to pry off. But then I had to reach under the cabinet and into the open vent that I couldn’t see into and pray my phone was there. First I came up with a very dusty toothbrush, yeech. I took a moment to gather my courage and reached back in. And there was my phone! Mostly unscathed! Out of town people were reached and all was saved, except for the slightly marred edge of the kickboard.

Secretly I was hoping my phone had fallen irretrievably into the midst of our heating system — which would mean I really did need to go get an iPhone.

· comments [17] · 07-17-2007 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 chronicler // Jul 17, 2007 at 7:02 am

hehehehehe! This kind of stuff happens to me all. the. time! I am glad it worked out and sad in a way that no new phone could be had from the episode. sigh. There’s always tomorrow! ;-)

• 2 julie. // Jul 17, 2007 at 8:55 am

hahaha. Well this is a good cautionary tale to help convince me to keep my land line.

• 3 hello insomnia // Jul 17, 2007 at 8:58 am

You should reward yourself with an iPhone anyway.

• 4 courtney // Jul 17, 2007 at 9:30 am

Yes that’s us too. Of course it would start violently thundering as soon as we had pulled off our back door + frame (mind you it was gorgeously sunny when we started) and then we would find that the opening wasn’t square, and not be able to get the door all the way in.

We too have been hoping and not hoping that our phones would die. We both hate them, but our contract is up in Nov. so we want to wait so we can get the discount, and not feel tied to verizon.

• 5 jennie // Jul 17, 2007 at 10:11 am

in a similar situation, i dropped my phone into the toilet (which had luckily be scrubbed about a half hour prior). This practically coincided with my ipod’s death a few weeks ago and resulted in plenty of excuses for an iphone. Yay!

• 6 fillyjonk // Jul 17, 2007 at 11:55 am

That’s why, when I bought my house, I also bought a staple gun and some aluminum screen (like window screen). I just screened off those kinds of openings…knowing my propensity for dropping stuff and its propensity for bouncing in odd ways.

• 7 Haven // Jul 17, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Wow, you sure you weren’t watching “a day in the life of Me”? Trust me, you’re not the only one. =)

• 8 Aimee // Jul 17, 2007 at 2:37 pm

It totaly happens, my boyfriend was showing me the memory card on the camera and pushed the button to take it out, It popped up in to the air and then almost fell into the air vent, and just as we thought it would be ok our 6 month old golden retriever decided to try and retrieve… we grabbed the memory card just in time to prevent bite marks.

• 9 Shani the Simple Shoe Intern // Jul 17, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Girlfriend, you live life right up our street.
    Fantastic website! Our product developer guru, Cielo, introduced me to it and now, you’ll never get rid of me! Have a great day!

• 10 Debbie // Jul 17, 2007 at 5:30 pm

May I make a suggestion for your heat vent. We had a similar situation under our kitchen sink. We added flexible ducting from the vent and installed a white plastic cover on the base kick plate. It sure helped direct the heat into the room and was much better during the cold winter months!

• 11 megan // Jul 17, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Debbie – Thanks!

• 12 Aimee // Jul 17, 2007 at 9:14 pm

yes! those things happen to me too… more often than i want to admit.

and an iphone would be great! i wish i could “lose” my phone too. :)

• 13 MC // Jul 18, 2007 at 4:58 am

I’m thankful you didn’t lose your phone to avoid getting the iphone. ;)

Also, I’m always terrified of reaching into dark, cramp areas because I think I’ll pull out a bug like a cockroach or soemthing. Egh!

• 14 J. // Jul 18, 2007 at 8:29 am

I was thinking of this post when last night I was all excited about the new foam mattress pad that I bought for my boyfriend’s bed and as soon as I put it on, his sick cat peed all over it. Then we were trying to corral his dogs so we could all go to my house to sleep on a non-peed-on bed and while we were both trying to keep the sick cat from escaping out the door we smashed our heads together, painfully.

It’s important to laugh about these things, I guess.

• 15 Lady S // Jul 23, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Yes. All the time. We have vent covers on all our heat ducts, but we have lost coins, pens, and other little things into them. My issue is tripping over the power cord for my iBook and knocking it to the floor. No new laptop for me though, they could fix it for less than $200.

Sucks that you aren’t getting a new phone though.

• 16 Soleil // Jul 23, 2007 at 1:23 pm

I lost a hamster in there once, and I couldn’t reach him, so I just had to wait for him to come out. I thought he was going to die in there and stink up the bathroom. He came out after about an hour, though; he probably got bored.

• 17 jodee // Jul 31, 2007 at 12:18 pm

What a funny, *that is so something that would totally happen to me*, story! I’m glad you got your phone back! And you can always pretend to lose your phone, still keep your contacts… and get the iphone anyway :)