up to

testing:
L’Oreal Sublime Glow for fair skin tones. I had read a lot about how self tanners smell, but this wasn’t too bad. I smelled faintly of beef jerky, which yes, ew, but I was expecting worse. After two days I have some color that doesn’t look fake on my very pale skin.

playing:
Knytt, which is completely addicting. Also, I seem to be stuck somewhere underground.

reading:
The latest Blueprint magazine

wishing:
for a really good camera, sigh

buying:
3×3 magnetic strips for the kitchen.

· comments [15] · 07-16-2007 · categories:up to ·

• 1 Anna // Jul 16, 2007 at 5:56 am

Did you use the self-tanner on your face, or just your body? Was there a lot of prep work involved to prevent streaks, or did you pretty much just apply it like moisturizer?

I’m terrified of self-tanners, but I want a little color…

• 2 cat // Jul 16, 2007 at 6:18 am

i am a self proclaiming self tanning guru. i love the stuff and love trying them all out. i have used jergens, light and dark and no matter what it stinks. my advice is that you apply any&all self tanners at night before you go to bed, that way you’re unconscience for most of the “tanning” time/smelling time. jergens has a tendency to streak and orange your skin and scratch off as well. if you’re planning on wearing anything white, beware, jergens may stain clothing. i have used neutrogena’s spray and it is nice and smelly too and leaves a sticky film on your bathroom floor, lay a dingy towel down before application. already this year i have begun using aveeno’s self tanner. i love it!!! nearly no hardcore smell, doesn’t rub off as badly and leaves a really nice even spread, no streaks. i always shave my legs prior to applying any self tanner. i never ever use any of it on my face, unless otherwise instructed for specific use. i do use it everywhere else though. i would say this too. if you’ve got stretch marks it’s really difficult to cover them, but several applications will mosdef help. sorry so long. i just enjoy this little aspect of non-cancer causing summer:)

• 3 michelle // Jul 16, 2007 at 6:24 am

I’m with you on the camera sighs.

• 4 Mindy // Jul 16, 2007 at 6:24 am

I won a really good Nikon camera recently. Trust me….it would be worth the money. Check out the pics on my blog and you will see SUCH an improvement….and it was not because I all of the sudden got talented.

• 5 Shana // Jul 16, 2007 at 6:28 am

I love the sublime glow. I apply it in the morning after my shower on my arms, legs and chest – I use a loofah in the shower for dry patches on my knees and elbows – and wash my hands really well afterwards – pay close attention to your around your nails and between your fingers.

If I’m feeling especially worried I put hand cream on before so it won’t soak into my palms. It takes me about 4-5 days of use to see a big difference so I’ve never had major problems.

Also I never use it on my face – for some reason all self tanners make me get little bumps across my cheeks – no bumps on my body however – so I just use a powdered bronzer from Cargo on my face.

• 6 kelly nolan // Jul 16, 2007 at 6:59 am

I just got a Lumix DMc FX-07. love it! It seems to take good photos no matter how poorly I shoot them.

• 7 Cyn // Jul 16, 2007 at 8:00 am

The sublime glow is absolutely the way to go. Because it is such a gradual change built by layering over days, streaks are almost impossible. After 4 days I have a lovely tan colour – better than any I ever had naturally since I always hated laying in the sun. Then I just apply it every so often to maintain the colour.

I have noticed the added benefit of much softer skin since I am moisturizing parts of me I don’t regularly do! Plus, I have never had a problem with discoloured hands – just a quick wash with soap and water after every application.

• 8 megan // Jul 16, 2007 at 8:35 am

Anna – The Sublime Glow is unlike a regular self tanner, it’s moisturizing lotion with a little bit of tanner in it. It’s meant to add color to your skin very gradually – three days to a week. It still has a smell but it wasn’t apparent unless I sniffed my arm.

Because it’s gradual you avoid the streaking problems you read about with other products, and you are less likely to overdo it on rough spots like elbows.

I’m assuming it’s also a great way to self tan without showing up somewhere and having good friends notice that you went from pasty one day to tan the next.

I would look silly with a dark tan so I decided to go with a gradual product – there are a few other brands that offer gradual tanner and they are usually called “glow” products. If you want it to go a little faster you can get one for medium skin tones.

I wouldn’t recommend putting it on before work though, I still felt a little sticky (I did put it on sort of thick, though). I would try it out when you have most of a weekend day where you don’t have to wear any particularly beloved clothing. On your legs under jeans though, no problem — my legs are the most glaringly white part about me and I’ve got to wear a dress to a wedding which is outdoors so panty hose are out of the question.

The product reviews at Makeup Alley (free registration) are great for sorting out how people really feel about the various self tanner.

Good luck!

• 9 Shana // Jul 16, 2007 at 11:06 am

Aveeno is also fantastic I agree – I’m flip flopping between the 2 brands – the jergen’s brand wrecked 2 of my white bras – dyed the straps brown……..cursed Jergens!

• 10 Lisa // Jul 16, 2007 at 12:11 pm

I bought the Neutrogena version of daily tanner (fair skin also), only to realize once I got home that I’d meant to get the Loreal one. The Neutrogena one doesn’t smell great, so I only apply it before going to bed, but it seems to be doing a decent job. My legs aren’t glaringly white anymore, but they’re not turning orange either.

Something I’ve always wondered, that perhaps someone here might know…why does all sunblock basically smell the same? I’d be much more likely to wear sunblock daily if I could get it at Bath and Body Works in a yummy smell, lame as that may sound…

• 11 nazilam // Jul 16, 2007 at 1:53 pm

I agree on the jergens, I’m about to get rid of my tube as I have nice orange streaks on my bras.

I understand windex might work to get them out, but someone else can check that. I’m afraid of dissolving my bra straps.

Megan, as for the camera, go play with them first.

I have a d50 which I love to death, but once I put on the macro lens, its a bear to carry around all day.I wouldn’t trade it in for a d80 or d200 even if it was free. I need a camera that works with my life. I have friends who buy overblown cameras and then you never see them take a picture.

I just bought at canon sd800 IS and I love its tininess as well.

Guess I’m going to bartells on the way home from work.

nazila

• 12 jonah // Jul 16, 2007 at 3:44 pm

i had my heart set on the d80 until i started comparing prices. after a few months in waiting to see if the price would go down i settled on a canon rebel xti. i am very happy with the canon because the nikon is so much heavier and the price is waaaay much more than the canon. i have a tip for you – best buy (southcenter) will bargain. i bought my camera last month with 2 lenses, bag, filter and extra battery for under $870, tax included. great blog by the way!

• 13 megan // Jul 16, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Jonah – thanks for the tips!

Nazila – Thanks! I need it for product shots, I’d keep my current one for carrying around with me.

I should add that I wore old black clothing while my L’Oreal Glow was on so I didn’t notice it staining anything. It says it will dry but I didn’t quite trust it.

• 14 FranciePants // Jul 16, 2007 at 5:19 pm

How excited was I to walk into the gym at my new office and found that some kind soul had donated the newest Blueprint to the magazine rack!!!!! God bless you workout room angel! The 20 minutes of sweat flew by as I flipped through counting all the projects i ‘simply must try’. I got a free sample of Dove’s energy glow self tanner. Tryin it out as we speak.

• 15 michmg // Jul 16, 2007 at 5:34 pm

I have the Nikon D80 and love it. You will find there is a great debate between the Canon and Nikon folks. I didn’t have a preference going into it, but ended up with the Nikon. The clarity in the D80 is amazing. I always missed the quality of pictures from an SLR camera when I switched to digital, so I finally broke down and bought one. I did a lot of comparison shopping online and found a decent price with a nice kit of accessories.