the perfect thing

I’d been looking for a Tubtrug for a while, I just didn’t know it.

Exhibit A: When Scott and I planted some bushes in front of our house the instruction sheet that came with them said to dig a hole and mix that soil with some planting soil and fertilizer. We dug the hole and quickly figured out we had nothing in which we could mix a few cubic feet of soil with other stuff. (The laundry basket lined with garbage bags? An old moving box?) We settled for layering soil and fertilizer, I hope that is not going to kill our plants.

Exhibit B: I regularly trim back ivy and blackberry that grows through our fence. When collecting this I usually put the leafy waste into a paper shopping bag which fills up too quickly, or into a large yard waste tote which refuses to stay open. Frustrating.

After encountering the above I read about Tubtrugs at both Da*xiang and Cool Tools. I went back to the nursery where we bought our shrubs today and bought myself a shiny extra-large one in red. Here it is on our deck:

I love it already. It’s flexible enough that you can pull both handles together and carry it like a tote, a feature that also allows you to pour things from it. It’s strong and keeps it’s shape and, obviously, to wash it you can just spray it with a hose.

The Tubtrug website has a bunch of uses: laundry basket, ice bucket for a picnic, washing your car, and for potting plants (you can pinch it and pour soil into pots). It comes in 14 bright colors and 5 sizes, including a wide but shallow one. The smallest size works just like a bucket, only one you can tote around. The medium and large size are great for recycling containers or laundry. The larger sizes can be used to mix batches of plaster or cement — if it hardens you can pull it out (think: silicone bakeware) and the tub is fine. I’m really pleased, this is one of those simple things that will be able to do so many useful things.

· comments [13] · 07-13-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Emira // Jul 13, 2007 at 4:57 pm

I have one of these and love it too. In fact I have the very same one. I’m kind of amazed by just how much I like it, it’s one of those simple but oh-so-useful things isn’t it?

• 2 Erica // Jul 13, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Oh wow those are cool! – I have to get one!

• 3 Nia // Jul 13, 2007 at 6:53 pm

Oh I have a trubtug and its perfect for amending soil. For deadheading, leaves etc, we use Ikea shopping bags andthese poly bins called Dimpa, that we really like because they’re lightweight and reuseable. We have to take what doesn’t fit/belong in the compost heap to the county yard waste site.

• 4 Carrie // Jul 14, 2007 at 7:31 am

Wow, those seem really handy. I’ll have to keep my eye out for one. I’ve always just used a paper grocery bag for any type of soil mixing, which is an imperfect solution…

• 5 meredith // Jul 14, 2007 at 1:26 pm

i bought 2 from the apartment therapy store… i think they are the large & medium sizes, but i have found tons of uses for them already.

• 6 Vic // Jul 14, 2007 at 2:25 pm

We bought four to fill with ice and keep beer cool at a party we’re throwing soon.

• 7 Red Zinnia // Jul 16, 2007 at 2:31 am

I was thinking the same thing about it doing double duty for beer! And it would be awesome for deadheading & minor weeding in the garden. Much easier than dragging out the wheelbarrow. . .

• 8 Lynn // Jul 16, 2007 at 6:09 am

I have two and find them immensely useful and I don’t garden or give big parties. L.L.Bean sells something similiar — search for the “Go-Anyehere Flexible Tote” in the Garden & Backyard section of Outdoor Accessories. I don’t know if they are true Tubtrugs or a knock-off.

• 9 megan // Jul 16, 2007 at 8:37 am

Lynn – the ones at LLBean look exactly like Tubtrugs, they have the same handles and everything. It looks like they only offer one size though – ?

• 10 erika // Jul 16, 2007 at 8:49 am

We use ours as my daughter’s laundry basket. I can pre-soak her clothes in it, easily dump the water and throw everything in the washing machine. I got mine at our local farmer’s supply coop.

• 11 Ann // Jul 16, 2007 at 10:42 am

That is one classy bucket. As for mixing soil stuff — when we mix soil and compost, we just toss it in the hole, alternating parts (think baking) and mix it right in there with the shovel.

• 12 sprizee // Jul 16, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Wow, I LOVE this find. My house is in Ballard built up off the street and hauling mulch from the street to the backyard is a pain in the arse. This will come in handy. Thanks!

• 13 Lady S // Jul 23, 2007 at 12:07 pm

I saw these in our Gardener’s Supply Company catalogue. They only have one size though, so I may have to buy them from the company.