links: seattle

It was 98 here yesterday! Most days I’m slightly embarrassed that the “lower level” of our house is a finished basement, but yesterday it was like having a treasure cave of cold that also has a couch and a television in it. Also, the New York Times ran a story about basements as primary living spaces, and it starts with profiling some homeowners here in Seattle — The Basement Steps Out Into the Light.

The Amateur Gourmet on places to eat on the Olympic Peninsula.

To keep in mind: Second Use, via Da*xiang.

South Seattle Blows Shit Up, yup, that is what it’s like on the fourth in our neighborhood. I was really glad to own a hose this year, I was convinced our house was going to burn down last time.

· comments [6] · 07-12-2007 · categories:seattle ·

• 1 Eviedee // Jul 12, 2007 at 1:38 pm

I happened to be in Seattle in the fourth and based on what I saw I totally thought the fireworks were legal there. I have never seen anything like it!

• 2 Jennifer // Jul 12, 2007 at 2:42 pm

I live in Orlando, and you know, I keep forgetting that it’s just as hot in the rest of the country as it is here in the summer! We don’t have the change of seasons that other regions have, but at least we can tan in the winters….

• 3 girlrobot // Jul 12, 2007 at 6:00 pm

i was just in vegas this past weekend and it was over 110. pure torture.

• 4 c // Jul 12, 2007 at 7:43 pm

I LOVE Second Use. We got a free door for our detached garage there. I esp. love that they have old highschool cabinets and bleachers for sale there.

• 5 Aimee // Jul 13, 2007 at 2:38 pm

finished basements rock! why were you embarrased by it? they are the best places to spend the summer. :)

• 6 megan // Jul 13, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Eviedee – I think because we live in an area that gets plenty of rain the police don’t crack down on amateur fireworks the same way they would in, say, Oklahoma or Indiana — where I spent a summers as a child and saw many fields on fire. But here in South Seattle it can get a little scary, the neighbor kids setting off loud fireworks is way more dangerous than my uncle showing me how to handle a Roman Candle.

Aimee – I, uh, don’t know actually. In descriptions our house sounds great, but in person it’s strange as our living room is downstairs but our kitchen is upstairs. This is why we could afford it, and why I’m bracing myself for trying to sell it.