links: the home

Blocking out exterior noise and how to soundproof your apartment at AT:LA and AT:Home Tech.

How to light and outdoor party, hassle free, at AT:SF.

Oooh, fire lanterns that lift themselves up by their own heat. At Oh Happy Day.

The saga of reupholstering an ottoman at Home By Sunset. I must remember this, I’m sure some reupholstering is in my future.

In the category of Best Blog I Somehow Never Knew About: Making It Lovley, Nicole kept track of everything she did with her first house. I’m keeping the before and after kitchen pictures in mind because I hate our wood kitchen cabinets yet fear changing them (we’re not going to be in this house forever so the phrase resale value haunts me.)

Decor8 is doing a month of orange and I love this collection of interiors using orange.

· comments [6] · 06-28-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Ryan // Jun 28, 2007 at 7:28 am

wow! really excellent job on that ottoman

• 2 Ryan // Jun 28, 2007 at 7:31 am

and so much cool orange.

Is that an oxymoron?

• 3 shayna // Jun 28, 2007 at 10:45 am

oh man, that’s an inspiring home re-do blog…thanks for the link.

• 4 becky // Jun 28, 2007 at 2:06 pm

those lights are such a good idea. The last wedding I went to the bride caused the ceremony to start late which caused dinner to start late and we ended up eating dinner in the dark.

It was so dark that the best man couldn’t see that his salad contained sunflower seeds which he is allergic to! (thankfully he carries an epi-pen!)

• 5 amanda // Jun 28, 2007 at 5:53 pm

This lanterns are amazing. I went looking for info and found this YouTube video of hundreds being set loose. I also found warnings not to set these free near airports/powerlines, etc. This sounds like a pretty magical thing to do out in the country.

• 6 miranda // Jul 6, 2007 at 11:43 pm

Orange isn’t played-out yet?

I’m not saying it is! Just thought that maybe ppl who are paying attention might think so. It seemed like everyone I knew who got a new place or posted on AT like 1.5-2 years ago had an “orange accent wall.”

This is like how that semi-scandalous NYT article about the Renegade Craft Fair suggested that birds are played out and cephalopods are up next, and I was thinking, “No, I’ve been seeing octopus motifs for a couple of years. I’m thinking it’ll be big game jungle animals next – elephants, giraffes, zebras.”