links: beauty, clothing, shopping

Very expensive but possibly worth it mascara recommendations: Yves Saint Laurent Faux Cils at A Grrls Wrrld, and Shiseido Advanced Volume Mascara at Lip Gloss and Laptops.

Four types of wrinkles and how to get rid of them at The Beauty Brains.

Favorite cheap beauty tricks at Faking Good Breeding. Lots in the comments too.

What to do about too-low cleavage? at Sundry Buzz.

Sorta sad story about the I’m Not A Plastic Bag bags, at Making Things.

Capsule Letters, small pill shaped plastic cases for secret messages, at Cool Hunting.

Voting is open for Fred Flare’s Next Big Thing contest.

The Germinatrix recommends Le Labo’s Rose 31 perfume, it sounds wonderful.

· comments [8] · 06-26-2007 · categories:beauty · shopping ·

• 1 Meg // Jun 26, 2007 at 6:33 am

Thanks for the link, Megan!

• 2 dingbat // Jun 26, 2007 at 6:38 am

I can’t recommend the cheap-o Maybelline Great Lash mascara enough. I got in the habit several years ago of looking for ever-more-expensive mascara in the hopes that cost equaled quality, and then finally heeded the wisdom of goodness knows how many stylists quoted in Glamour, InStyle, etc. and went for the $3.79 tube of Maybelline Great Lash. There’s nothing special going on with the brush, the wand is the perfect length, and the mascara itself never seems to clump (unless it gets really old, at which point you should replace it anyway). I’ll never buy expensive again, or any other mascara for that matter (as long as they keep the same formula).

• 3 Alison // Jun 26, 2007 at 11:08 am

Thanks for the link to the capsules–that sounds like fun!

• 4 Kristi // Jun 26, 2007 at 1:13 pm

I’ve never liked the Maybelline mascara it just does nothing for me. I prefer the L’Oreal brand. But everyone is different. I enjoyed checking out these sites there where lots of good tips.

• 5 Eliza // Jun 26, 2007 at 2:02 pm

I second Maybeline Great Lash, but an even better alternative is getting your lashes dyed. I go to Wax On Spa on 15th and they’ll color your lashes (takes about 10 minutes) and then you have nice dark lashes for a good month or two without needing any makeup at all. Love it.

• 6 Shannon // Jun 26, 2007 at 4:03 pm

If you’re willing to splurge on mascara, but think 42 is too much (and I do), you have got to try Dior Show. It’s at Sephora for $23 and it’s amaaaazing. Probably the only Dior I’ll ever own.

• 7 becky // Jun 26, 2007 at 4:47 pm

the Not a Plastic Bag is so silly. There are millions of perfectly good tote bags clogging the thrift stores of the world.

• 8 Anne // Jul 1, 2007 at 10:55 am

There are also seems to be questions about the labor that was used to make the bags.

But I have to admit, they are cute.