another crock pot

Less than a week after buying my thrift store crock pot I found a another one. This new one has a removable interior which is so much easier to wash. It was more expensive but I happened to find it on 50% off day, and it has pictures of herbs on the outside. I’m smitten. I made a batch of eight hour oatmeal in it and it didn’t scorch the oatmeal* or burn down the house.

* In the previous crock pot entry Quackyduck mentioned that newer slow cookers cook at higher temperatures (to prevent food-borne illness or some silliness) so they might not work for some recipes. As the comments on Alton Brown’s recipe for Overnight Oatmeal reveal, the newer cookers might just be the cause of burnt oatmeal… or it might be a glitch on some recalled Rival cookers over heating control problems.

· comments [14] · 06-25-2007 · categories:food ·

• 1 Magpie Ima // Jun 25, 2007 at 8:20 am

I have had the very same model of crockpot for years. Enjoy!

• 2 Marlena // Jun 25, 2007 at 8:21 am

I also heard that about the temp of new crock pots… after I had burned about five meals and despaired of ever having something edible come out of mine. I believe that if you put something on the “warm” setting, it equals the old “low,” and the current “low” equals the old “high.” I think I’m just going to find a crock at the thrift store though. Food borne illness, my eye!

• 3 Aimee // Jun 25, 2007 at 9:05 am

that is awesome! i have two crock pots, both of which i got as gifts. the best thing i have found ever is “slow cooker liners” from renolds wrap. they are usually by the tin foil. they make cleaning up so much easier.

• 4 anna // Jun 25, 2007 at 9:36 am

My parents have had that same crockpot for a few decades. It’s great for slow cooking roast (especially grass-fed, which needs to be cooked at a low heat for longer).

I’ve been thinking about trying to bake bread in it.

• 5 Anne // Jun 25, 2007 at 12:01 pm

Does it actually say “Crock Watcher” above the dial? Now that’s fabulous!

• 6 Kung Foodie Kat // Jun 25, 2007 at 1:20 pm

not sure what’s in my head but the subject title for this reads as “another crack pot”…sigh, maybe i need a vacation.

• 7 angelina // Jun 25, 2007 at 1:51 pm

What is steel cut oats? Interested in trying this but unsure what steel cut oats are.

• 8 Kat // Jun 25, 2007 at 2:34 pm

Pomagranate pancakes. I instantly thought of you1

• 9 Donna // Jun 25, 2007 at 4:32 pm

My mom has the same crock pot, and it’s lasted at least 20 years!

• 10 Jane // Jun 26, 2007 at 5:41 am

That would explain why I burn things that my mother doesn’t!

• 11 jjzach // Jun 26, 2007 at 9:21 am

I have the same crock pot from when I was a kid. I had an opportunity for a free upgrade, but I couldn’t part with the herb design.

• 12 lu2 // Jun 26, 2007 at 1:51 pm

My mom actually uses her rice cooker to do this. We tried it on ours and it boiled over but if you use an old-school one (Like the ones you can get in the Chinese stores that also steam buns) it works wonderfully.

• 13 cindy // Jun 30, 2007 at 10:59 am

My parents have that same crock pot. Isn’t it huge?! I used it this past winter to make Everyday Food’s Beef Stew. Delicious. If you find any more good slow cooker recipes please share!

• 14 Talia // Jul 3, 2007 at 10:13 am

i tried the overnight oatmeal in my new crockpot and it scorced, just as everything has in my crockpot. any advice? do i need to use grease or something?