links: the home

I love the underside of this porch that has been painted blue. I think this is common in the South – ? I want to do this to the underside of our front porch as you can see it through the windows in the front door as you come up the stairs, it might make a nice illusion of blue skies when we’re having cloudy days. At AT:NY.

Slimline Keysafe, holds a house key but you need a code to open it. I have a knack for forgetting or misplacing keys, I need one of these before I lock myself out of my own house. Via AT:NY.

Drainbo Natural Drain Cleaner, at AT:LA.

Ooh Le Beanock Hammock, big enough for two, at Modern Roost.

I love this – hanging copper gutter planters to create privacy on a deck. Picture put up by Stef, I think she grabbed it from a Martha Stewart Living.

How to use milk mixed with water as a tomato disease preventative, by Gayla at You Grown Girl. Via AT: Chicago.

Green by Omission, Apartment Therapy interviews the creators of YOLO Colorhouse (which I spoke about a bit when I painted my doors).

Using fabric markers to color black and white Ikea textiles, at Ikea Hacker.

Herman Miller’s C2, a tiny personal heating and air filtering device for your cube at work.

I like the branch sculpture (scroll down a bit) that Happy Mundane created for a relative’s living room. They glued wooden leaf shapes onto a found branch and spray painted the whole thing. This gives me ideas.

· comments [12] · 06-22-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 charli // Jun 22, 2007 at 5:31 am

in case you were curious, us southerners paint the underside of porches blue to keep wasps and dirt dobbers (wasps that don’t sting) from building nests up there. I guess the bugs get fooled into thinking it’s sky. suckers.

awesome branch art. I think i might have to do the biscuit thing myself.

• 2 Anna // Jun 22, 2007 at 5:33 am

Painting the ceiling of your porch roof sky blue is traditionally Victorian, apparently. I think I read that in an article on beadboard porch ceilings from This Old House a while back. It’s a gorgeous look, and we’re definitely going to do it on our Victorian rowhouse…once we get the beadboard up, that is!! Surely it will be a vast improvement over the unpainted builders-grade plywood that’s currently up there. We’re not following Victorian color schemes anywhere else in (or out of) the house, but I do love the idea of a sky blue ceiling. :)

• 3 Kim // Jun 22, 2007 at 5:57 am

If you take a historic tour of Charleston, SC, they explain about the porch ceiling colors. See here for a version:

• 4 Jennifer // Jun 22, 2007 at 5:58 am

Yes, I think it’s used for something like keeping things a little cooler. Ane yes, it is a really neat look…

• 5 Lorigami // Jun 22, 2007 at 6:40 am

The blue ceiling thing is an old southern trick for keeping spiders from building webs up there, as well as keeping bees from building nests. It really works, but it does have to be a pretty specific shade of blue. Mine is “porch ceiling blue” from Martha Stewart paints.

• 6 megan // Jun 22, 2007 at 8:40 am

Thanks everybody for the information on the blue porch. I’m not surprised to find out Martha Stewart paints has a specific color.

Kim – I heard this story on the radio last year! I had heard the blue porch thing a few other places but I think this was my first encounter with it.

• 7 becky // Jun 22, 2007 at 10:24 am

We have a lockbox at our house. It’s nice to have if you’re going to have people do work on your house or your roommate is prone to locking herself out!

• 8 Molly // Jun 22, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Love that blue porch! I’d love o see how it works out at your own place… :)

• 9 alison // Jun 22, 2007 at 3:00 pm

When I was growing up in New England, my best friends house had a blue porch ceiling. It was a funky old white victorian house with a painted beadboard porch ceiling.

• 10 Beth // Jun 25, 2007 at 7:41 am

Yes, blue porch ceilings are common in the South, particularly in the lowcountry coastal towns. You might like looking into “haint blue,” which is a specific color often used. It was said to keep away evil spirits, and you can still see it in a lot of historic homes. In some towns (Savannah, Georgia, for instance, where I used to live), you can still find it in local paint stores. It’s kind of a neat historic story to know about. :)

• 11 minnie // Jun 25, 2007 at 10:10 am

I just use boiling water to unclog my drains; VERY natural and also FREE! I just put a pot on each burner and go to town. Do it religiously (once a month maybe?) to prevent clogs, although I never do it unless my drain is slow.

• 12 minnie // Jun 25, 2007 at 10:11 am

Oops I don’t mean I leave water on the stove and LEAVE THE HOUSE to “go to town”…I just mean, keep on boiling until your drain is clear. LOL