weekend seekers

We spent this weekend searching for things and among what we found was this nicely sized and perfectly clean crock pot from Goodwill for $5! It’s only missing a dial for the handle. Right now it’s cooking Overnight Oatmeal. (I was sort of afraid to leave an unfamiliar appliance on overnight, so I’m technically cooking Daytime Oatmeal, for dinner.)

I did not find any Riedel-quality stemware at Goodwill this time around, I think this will particular search will quickly become a new obsession.

We also found some nice shrubs to plant in front of our house and got to peek at lots of deck planter options (we’ve decided to, sigh, make our own which means there will be no plants waving merrily in the breeze next weekend). We went to two nurseries this weekend, Swanson’s Nursery where I found this fairy door and Rosso’s Nursery in Georgetown (thanks for the tip Stef!). Rosso’s had lots of plants I’ll go back for, but when it came to looking for something specific I deeply appreciated all the information that Swanson’s includes with their plants as I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing. I picked up a bunch of the how-to fliers as well, so hopefully our plants have a chance at survival.

· comments [17] · 06-18-2007 · categories:mumbling · seattle ·

• 1 Joyful Abode // Jun 18, 2007 at 11:34 am

I’m not normally an oatmeal fan, but that sounds GREAT with the berries and figs. mmmm…

And I love love love the fairy door.

• 2 Juggling Frogs // Jun 18, 2007 at 12:36 pm

We have been regular crockpot users for the past two decades. I currently have 3 in constant use. The dial cover on a new crockpot has never lasted more than a month and a half for us.

I keep a wrench in the kitchen for changing the crockpot setting.

Enjoy your new find!

• 3 Mary-Lynn // Jun 18, 2007 at 12:44 pm

For the last few months I’ve been eating crockpot oatmeal for breakfast at least twice a week. YUMMY.

I don’t make it with the figs or cranberries but when I’m about to put it into a container to take to work, I will put raisins or, now, blueberries in the bottom. By the time I get to work they’ve plumped and warmed up and are so good.

• 4 Amy // Jun 18, 2007 at 12:59 pm

That oatmeal sounds great… I wonder if my 2 year old would notice the dried cranberries & figs!

• 5 kristie // Jun 18, 2007 at 3:35 pm

I have the same crockpot! We got it 19 years ago for a wedding present. So far it’s been a steady friend for spicy foods. Maybe it’s time to try some oaty goodness!

• 6 Quackyduck // Jun 18, 2007 at 6:20 pm

I have been making Overnight Oatmeal for 15 years, and I even called it that, so I wonder if Alton stole the name and idea from me! I like to add an apple, cut into largish pieces and let it cook with the oatmeal.

I put frozen berries (straw, blue, or rasp) in my oatmeal when I serve it – the hot oatmeal thaws them. Other add-ins: walnuts, almonds, candied ginger bits, dried fruit, cinnamon, maple syrup, honey, plain yogurt. Sometimes I take an insulated container of the oatmeal with me as I dash off to work.

I have lots of crockpots from Goodwill, and here are some suggestions for what to look for:

~a crockpot with a removable liner. This is so much easier for cleanup – you can even put it in a dishwasher.

~I like the lid to be plastic instead of glass – so much lighter weight and less likelihood of breaking it.

~The older crockpots cook at a lower temperature so they may be better for some recipes. (The new ones are designed more to prevent food-borne illness so they heat the food hotter.)

~ A one quart crockpot is a nice size to make 1 baked potato, or a smaller portion of oatmeal.

~A two cup or one cup size CP is perfect for one baked apple.

• 7 medea // Jun 18, 2007 at 10:59 pm

You could try getting some acrylic putty and mix it, stick it to the crock pot nubbin, smoosh it and make yourself a knob.

• 8 A different Megan // Jun 19, 2007 at 5:02 am

I wanted to thank Quackyduck for confirming that I was not crazy. I use a lot of crock pots (not all mine) and I am annoyed at how hot the new ones get! Even on low I feel like stuff is getting way over cooked.

• 9 Nicole // Jun 19, 2007 at 8:06 am

I don’t know if you eat meat but Alton Brown’s swiss steak recipe in the crockpot is divine. I cook it on high for 3.5 hours after I do the front end work in a skillet work.

• 10 Sharyn // Jun 19, 2007 at 11:05 am

I heart AB – but one thing about that recipe always cracks me up, every time I use it. “This method works best if started before you go to bed.” Awww, but I like cooking in my sleep…

• 11 megan // Jun 19, 2007 at 11:27 am

Thanks so much for the information about the newer slow cookers cooking hotter. It sort of makes me want to hoard old slow cookers now! Though, if I feel like I’m getting serious about using the slow cooker I think I would seek one with an insert, this one is a slightly bit tricky to clean.

Nicole – Thanks for the tip!

• 12 Molly // Jun 19, 2007 at 1:15 pm

I love good thrift store finds. :)

• 13 janet // Jun 19, 2007 at 5:00 pm

We got a small round crockpot at Walmart for about $9. It does the overnight oatmeal really nice, tho still working on the proportions.

BTW, I discovered that the extra oatmeal reheats quite nice in the microwave.

• 14 emily // Jun 21, 2007 at 7:22 am

We make overnight oatmeal every night, and we love it! We use dried granny smith apples and dried cranberries. It’s the best.

• 15 Laurel // Jun 21, 2007 at 3:01 pm

try to plan your next to trip to georgetown to include brunch or lunch at the newish Hangar Cafe– its cool, sweet and tasty.

• 16 Kristin // Jun 25, 2007 at 11:11 am

You can use a wine cork to replace the dial. Just drink a bottle of wine and then press the cork on the little nubbin thingy.

• 17 Robert // Jul 4, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Can I use a rice maker to make oatmeal? Is there any special appliance that will make homemade oatmeal besides a crock pot? Thanks.