the home, outdoors

Most of these are links to Apartment Therapy sites, I’m finding their focus on the outdoors this month to be incredibly helpful.

Impressively big planters! at Sundry Mourning. A friend of mine also has some of these, they are available at farm supply stores, but since I started noticing them I see them holding produce just outside the doors at grocery stores.

Oh I love the Planet Orb hanging planter.

Top 10 market umbrellas, also see terrace mates umbrellas for small apartment balcony sized spaces.

A modern rain barrel over at Domicile. I wonder if we have room for one of these?

Products for a balcony. I went to Ikea in search of these rail boxes last week and they were completely sold out.

Top 10 wooden deck tiles, these make me wish I have a roof instead of a deck

Flower box awards, with examples of flowerboxes on deck railings. Also see this impressive porch garden.

Something I’ve had my eye on for a while: shade sails.

This is very cool: Walden a sort of hyper efficient out door space thingy.

Rail planters! Last week I also started considering these deck rail planters which I saw at a local Fred Meyer store, the Loden color didn’t look too bad.

· comments [9] · 06-15-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Lindsay // Jun 15, 2007 at 9:18 am

Oh my gosh! That half-umbrella!! Why did I not know about that two years ago? I’ll be moving soon, so now is not the time for a new balcony-related purchase, but boy I’ve bookmarked that site for future reference. Thanks!

• 2 Abby // Jun 15, 2007 at 9:50 am

JUST last NIGHT I told Brad we needed a rain barrel. Hmmmm. I found them in Gardeners Supply (http://www.gardeners.com/) – have you seen these> (http://www.gardeners.com/Self-Watering-Trellis-Planters/default/StandardCatalog.PatioPlanters_Cat.36-507RS.cpd) – they’re big but you could probably do some DIY.

Sorry I have no clue how to make these links into pretty lil’ words. Don’t hate me!

• 3 Lindsay // Jun 15, 2007 at 3:56 pm

Overstock.com has the shade sails quite often. I got my smaller triangular one last year for about $50.

• 4 megan // Jun 15, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Lindsay – The special sized umbrella seems like it makes a lot of sense since but before this I hadn’t seen anything like it.

Thanks for the tip Lindsay!

• 5 stef // Jun 15, 2007 at 9:50 pm

i am looking for a good raised “bed” option and those cattle troughs at Sundry Morning looks like they would work. Now I need to find them around here.

• 6 Dame Wendy // Jun 17, 2007 at 10:04 am

Living in NYC, the thing I’ve missed the most is having plants around me and without a balcony or terrace it’s even harder.

Thanks for the links!! I think some of the balcony products would work great in our large window sill. :) Hurray for a new project! :)

• 7 Lizzy // Jun 17, 2007 at 2:41 pm

If you’re not sold on the colors for the “saddle” planters, you could spray them with the plastic-specific spray paint – it works like a champion!

• 8 fiveten // Jun 18, 2007 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for featuring my porch garden. I reguarly read your blog and it was exciting to see your mention.

• 9 megan // Jun 19, 2007 at 11:33 am

Fiveten – You’ve made me want to grow a bunch of herbs and tomatoes in pots! We have a southern exposure in the front of our house so I think I’ll have to have one of the crazy-lady potted plant collections.