the home

I spent some time looking for basic coat hooks that had the right amount of grip and would fit into small spots in my house. I wanted some Vippa hooks from Ikea but apparently they are out of stock all over the world, so I settled on these simple stainless steel hook racks from The Container Store. You can almost see them on the wall in the first picture on this page. They are nicely compact, the only downside is that they are too small to hold the handle of an umbrella.

Stencil pattern on cement, nice. AT:LA.

Peel and stick chalkboard decals, at Consume.

Curing a crooked picture with rubber feet at Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories.

Updated grandfather clock at Modern Roost. I think I want one of these.

Impressiveness: my friend the wire rope at Modern in MN. She gives detailed information on how to use them to hang curtains, pictures and use as railings and what tools you’ll need.

Folding sliding doors come to the US! AT:SF.

Dish doctor, I think I need this. AT:SF.

I love everything about this house at AT:LA.

Small Herman Miller climate controller, expensive but small and efficient. AT:Home Tech.

Apartment Therapy offers two examples of using mirrors to enhance windows: thin mirror inside a deep window frame and mimicing corner windows to appear like other windows in the room. AT:NY and LA.

Nice big wall stickers at Ferm Living, at Charles & Marie.

Adam Frank on his breathtakingly cool Reveal at the Apartment Therapy Design Meetup.

· comments [9] · 06-14-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Beth in TX // Jun 14, 2007 at 5:45 am

Just a thought…maybe a hang strap could be added to the handle of the umbrella? The hooks look like they are wide enough for a strap.

• 2 Jen // Jun 14, 2007 at 6:58 am

Back when I was living in Boston, there was a cute little shop in Cambridge called “Bowl & Board” (http://bowlandboard.com/) that had these unfinished wooden pegs with a long nail at end of the flat, beveled edge. They were called “bang ‘n hang” and supposedly were made by veterans. Very cute, very cheap (~$1-$3 depending on the size), and probably could have been painted or finished. Haven’t been able to find them online, but were nice for setting your own width between, etc.

• 3 Abby // Jun 14, 2007 at 7:58 am

I’ve been leaning toward the wire rope idea for my looong hallway for awhile. Thanks for linking to instruction on how-to! I love the idea of a nice straight line but being able to easily change the pictures and make it like a gallery (for all my traveling photos.) FUN.

• 4 heidi // Jun 14, 2007 at 8:16 am

Thanks for the pointer to the AT “My First House” flickr set. Every photo makes me swoon!

• 5 megan // Jun 14, 2007 at 8:23 am

Beth – Sure, it’s a traditional hook handle though so to attach a loop I’d have to drill a hole, which I’m just unwilling to do since the umbrella is lovely.

• 6 Katy B // Jun 14, 2007 at 9:55 am

Megan – I fell in love the peel and stick chalkboard panels and just ordered a set. There happens to be a sale going on today and tomorrow at Wallies. 25% – the discount is reflect when you go to check out. Thanks for the tip.

• 7 Katy B // Jun 14, 2007 at 9:56 am

Please excuse my typos!

• 8 Kristi // Jun 14, 2007 at 11:23 am

The photos of “my first house” are fantastic. What great style and color.

• 9 Miss Sassy // Jun 14, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Megan – you might want to check eBay for the Ikea hooks. I did a quick search for Vippa and didn’t find any but someone may just put them under “Ikea hook” or “Ikea hooks.” I don’t know what they look like so I couldn’t tell but there are a lot available in the eBay stores. Of course, you may have already thought of this.