up to

watching:
The Princess Bride
This one just doesn’t get old for me.

reading:
Bamboo for Gardens
From the back sleeve: “Ted Jordan Meredith first discovered bamboo while looking for a rapidly growing evergreen screen to block out the housing construction next to his home.” This is exactly the bamboo book I was looking for, the author even lives in Washington state. While a lot of the book is filled with descriptions of various bamboos there is all the information one needs to plant, grow and care for bamboo.

visiting:
Leavenworth, WA
This town is Bavarian themed, so much so that McDonald’s, the Chinese restaurant and the car wash all use Bavarian fonts. It’s spooky and delightful at the same time. From Wikipedia: “Leavenworth’s Oktoberfest celebration is one of the most attended outside Munich, Germany.”

eating:
Kinder Happy Hippos
Bought in Leavenworth, a place of happy food shops and many, many tourist traps.

trying:
self tanner
Inspired by this episode of Lip Gloss and Laptops (#62), I need to banish some nearly blue-white skin in preparation to wear a new dress to an outdoor wedding.

· comments [21] · 06-11-2007 · categories:up to ·

• 1 Kate // Jun 11, 2007 at 7:26 am

The Prncess Bride is the ONLY movie, in my experience, that is better than the book. Well, maybe have to add the Shawshank Redemption. But Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was a novella.

• 2 Auberne' // Jun 11, 2007 at 7:40 am

I love The Princess Bride! It is one of my favorite movies. I have some good friends who live in Cashmere, which is by Leavenworth. I love to visit there, especially at Christmas time. Auberne’

• 3 Austin // Jun 11, 2007 at 8:35 am

We went to Leavenworth a few weeks ago and felt the same way. Did you hit up Munchen Haus, the biergarten with the kick-ass sausages and 10+ different types of mustard? Thats the only reason I can see myself trekking back there during the non-skiing season (not that I know how to ski)

• 4 Monique // Jun 11, 2007 at 9:13 am

‘No more rhyming and I mean it’
    ‘Anyone want a peanut?’

• 5 megan // Jun 11, 2007 at 9:14 am

Kate – I just looked it up and I didn’t know the book came out so long before the movie. I’m glad they had the author do the screenplay.

Austin – I’m afraid we were wimps and didn’t actually eat any sausages in Leavenworth.

• 6 Matt Haughey // Jun 11, 2007 at 10:43 am

megan, I don’t know if I ever directly told you about the wonders of bamboodirect.com but we ordered all our bamboo from them and they were great. They stock tons of weird varieties that do well in the colder climates and don’t run crazy all over your yard.

Here’s the page of mountain varieties:

• 7 Chelsea // Jun 11, 2007 at 10:47 am

I have been meaning to watch The Princess Bride again. My copy has been sitting on the shelf for too long without being watched. We were quoting it at work last week.

• 8 Amber // Jun 11, 2007 at 11:26 am

I just recently stumbled upon your wicked-awesome website (awesome because it had soo many cool things and wicked-awesome because I live in WA too and I can find all the cool local stuff your talking about!)

• 9 Amber // Jun 11, 2007 at 11:28 am

(somehow I hit “submit comment” before I wanted too)……anyway, thanks for having a great place to share your cool ideas! :)

• 10 Andi // Jun 11, 2007 at 1:17 pm

The Princess Bride is the best movie ever!!

• 11 Vanessa // Jun 11, 2007 at 1:55 pm

The Princess Bride is playing at my house right now! As I type! My 5 and 6 year old are hooked.

• 12 Ellen // Jun 11, 2007 at 4:44 pm

I love Leavenworth! I visited there when I lived out west several years ago and thought it was so cute. And the Happy Hippos- I tried them in Mexico I think it was and ended up buying a whole box! Yum!

• 13 megan // Jun 11, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Matt – Thanks so much, I’m learning a lot about the various varieties and I think I’m narrowing it down.

Ellen – The hippos are proving to be quite addictive, the proportions are even great for taking three bites.

• 14 christine // Jun 11, 2007 at 4:51 pm

did you ever go to Frankenmuth when you were a kid? (It’s in Michigan). It’s the same kind of thing, little faux-Bavarian village, lots of sausages….

• 15 lindsey // Jun 11, 2007 at 4:53 pm

i adore happy hippos! we bought some in europe after seeing them on tv all the time.. i mean, it has nutella inside, there’s no way you can go wrong!

• 16 rachel m // Jun 12, 2007 at 4:24 am

i totally agree on princess bride- i watched it again last week and i think that i actually enjoy it more and more every time i watch!! it just gets better.

• 17 Tracy Compton // Jun 12, 2007 at 4:53 am

Make sure you CONTAIN your bamboo! My lovely neighbors planted bamboo without digging the proper containment ditches. Now, everyone has bamboo — everywhere. Let me tell you — not easy to remove!

• 18 megan // Jun 12, 2007 at 8:01 am

Tracy – Thanks, I’m all too aware what bamboo is capable of. We rented a house that had a little bamboo planted along one side, with in a year bamboo had broken up through the center of the cement driveway. Also, we had some friends who bought a house that already had bamboo planted in the back, they had to regrade their lawn and have containment ditches dug. It’s not pretty. For the time being I’m planning on growing in very large containers.

• 19 michelle // Jun 12, 2007 at 9:02 am

I love me some of that kinder chocolate. I first had it in Germany, along with the Ritter Sport bars. So good! I need to back to Leavenworth to get some…maybe in the Fall though.

• 20 Vanda // Jun 13, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Jeez, tell me they didn’t have Kinders because of the German connection…they’re actually Italian! (from Ferrero)

• 21 megan // Jun 13, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Nope, it was a European-y food imports store.