beauty and clothing

I love this new-to-me site: The Beauty Brains, two professional cosmetic chemists talk about what is really up with all those products.

A few weeks back Lip Gloss and Laptops (podcast) talked about there being a small frenzy over a Boots product, the Protect and Perfect Beauty Serum, because it had been proven to actually work. Does anybody know if this is available in Target stores here in the Boots aisle?

Recommendations for sunless tanners at SundryBuzz.

Thread on anti-perspirants at Ask Metafilter. Certain Dri and Odaban are recommended.

Tell me about your underwear (seriously), at Friday Style. I have been looking for good basic (I’m talking jeans, pajamas, 3-pack type undies here) ones as well and am finding the Gillian & O’Malley Basic Bikini to be pretty good. (Don’t click on that if you’re at work.) The waist and legs are edged in that nice smooth spandex stuff, and they stretch nicely so they won’t give you a wedgie.

Help me rediscover a fashion sense, at Ask Metafilter.

· comments [12] · 06-8-2007 · categories:beauty · shopping ·

• 1 TheBon // Jun 8, 2007 at 6:45 am

I found the protect and perfect serum in the Target in Springfield, Oregon. It’s not particularly huge or super classy [but it's way closer to my house than the nice target in Eugene]. So, I suspect it is available elsewhere. And as of Tuesday night Boots stuff was 10% off.

• 2 megan // Jun 8, 2007 at 7:35 am

Thanks!

• 3 Kristin // Jun 8, 2007 at 8:15 am

I got my Boots serum at the Target here in beautiful Somerville, MA and love it.

• 4 megan // Jun 8, 2007 at 8:34 am

I’m reading online that the Protect and Perfect serum is called Restore and Renew here in the US. What name did you two find it under?

• 5 J // Jun 8, 2007 at 10:43 am

I ran out and checked my local Target after reading this — it’s 10% off and under the name Restore & Renew – not Protect & Perfect.

• 6 megan // Jun 8, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Thanks J! I also found myself near a Target today and there happened to be a Boots employee in the aisle. She told me that the Restore & Renew serum is indeed the US name for Protect & Perfect. She said it’s been selling out quickly, but there are two other Boots products that are similar. The Refine & Rewind serum is meant for older skin and has some firming ingredients as well as what is in the Restore & Renew. She also gave me a sample of something from the Botanics line that she likes, the Radiance Renewal Night Serum.

I bought a few other No.7 products while I was there. Lifting & Firming eye cream, radiant glow under eye concealer, Perfect Light pressed powder compact (it has a mirror!) and the High Shine lip gloss in Flirt. I’ll report back if I find any of them to be exceptional.

• 7 Jen // Jun 9, 2007 at 7:17 am

I am all over my American Apparel flat bottomed bikinis (dunno why they’re called that.)

Not sure if they count as “basic” 3 pack, but they’re certainly *way*way* more durable than comparably priced Jockey’s nevermind being more comfortable. And they come in so many colours!

I don’t get them from the AA store, but at a lingerie boutique that gives a dicount for buying multiple pairs.

• 8 Lindsay // Jun 9, 2007 at 9:09 am

I’m very pleased with the underwear by American Eagle, oddly enough. They have some new(?) line of women’s underwear called Aerie. Not sure if it’s in stores, but it’s definitely online and almost always on a sale of some sort. The skinny bikinis are nicely low rise, but with enough room/stretch in the.. uh… “bottom area” so as not to leave a big crease where there should not be one (if you know what I mean). They used to come in much better colors than they do now, but whatever…

• 9 Kelsey // Jun 10, 2007 at 6:33 am

I really like the gap’s cotton hipster brief, although they’re a bit spendy (I think 3 for $20?). They just fit really well, I don’t get wedgies from them & I wear them all the time & they seem to be holding up pretty well. I have not had the same experience with gap hipsters with lace on them, be warned!

• 10 Lynn in Tucson // Jun 20, 2007 at 11:48 am

No wonder I couldn’t find the Protect and Perfect! They did have the Restore and Renew, though (one out of two Targets that I looked at in Tucson).

I bought the No. 7 Intensive Moisture face mask and I really like it. It tingled a bit the first time, more than I would expect from a “moisture” mask and it’s more scented (tea rose) than I usually care for, but the results are impressive.

• 11 Rebecca // Apr 8, 2008 at 9:48 am

Did you ever end up trying the Boots Restore and Renew serum? Did you end up liking it? Thanks!

• 12 megan // Apr 8, 2008 at 10:53 am

Rebecca – I did try it, and it was nice and light but caused me to break out just enough that I gave up on it. I have breakout prone skin, though, so I don’t mind trying stuff out to see if it’ll work.