Seattle related

Store I hadn’t heard of: Basic Green Box sells home and garden stuff, I completely forgot where I found this.

I heard this interview about micro-vacations with Crai Bower on The Beat last week. As a vacation challenged individual a few of the places sounded heavenly. While I’d love to travel to the Purcell Mountain Lodge (the only access is via a helicopter, which is factored into the rate) I think a trip to Stehekin sounds more our speed.

Should I be worried about Mt. Rainier erupting? via Ask Metafilter. (All I have to add is that after reading A Short History of Nearly Everything, nothing equals my fear of the Yellowstone caldera.)

How to rent a boat at the Center for Wooden Boats, via Orangette.

After mentioning my dull knives Jamie (thanks Jamie!) mentioned that City People’s Market has knife sharpening on the first Saturday of every month. I took my knife out last weekend and had it sharpened for only $2, and had a nice browse through the plants and kitchen gadgets. The man doing the sharpening had little yellow fliers advertising which dates he’d be back. Later that week I was in a craft store and noticed more little yellow fliers, he goes there on a Thursday of every month. So I looked up the website, Northwest Sharpening, and turns out he hops around all over the city to a new place every other day or so. So, if you need a knife or some scissors sharpened, here’s your guy.

· comments [11] · 06-7-2007 · categories:seattle ·

• 1 Stephanie // Jun 7, 2007 at 8:13 am

I’m totally with you on the Yellowstone Caldera. I loved “Short History;” it was actually part of my inspiration to go back to school to study biology; but I have nightmares about the supervolcano.

• 2 sirjorge // Jun 7, 2007 at 11:34 am

Yay, Seattle related…i too was considering a seattle related post…

• 3 rubycakes // Jun 7, 2007 at 1:48 pm

I would highly recommend a trip to Stehekin! I lived up near there (Holden Village) for a few years and the area just amazing. Stehekin (and surrounds) is just gorgeous and the community is full of lovely, interesting folks.

• 4 Noah // Jun 7, 2007 at 1:53 pm

re: knife sharpening. QFC will sharpen knives for free for their customers “while you shop”. ymmv, yada yada.

• 5 Kristel // Jun 7, 2007 at 3:23 pm

I just got to disk three in the SHORT HISTORY OF NEARLY EVERYTHING CD-set I bought for a long drive.

a) I didn’t think Bill Bryson would sound like that.
    b) I’m not sure if I want to visit Yellowstone now.

• 6 megan // Jun 7, 2007 at 3:54 pm

rubycakes – I’m jealous, living around there sounds lovely.

Noah – Thanks, do their butchers do it?

Kristel – He does have a composite accent. Is it a good listen? (Sometimes a bad narrator can be irritating, and an author narrator is always iffy.) The memory of what you know about Yellowstone will never fade, I read the book when it just first came out and I’m still afraid.

• 7 FranciePants // Jun 7, 2007 at 4:17 pm

My brother spent his honeymoon up in Stehekin and was so taken by the place, they debated a move. Though I’m now relocated in Wisconsin….. I tempt my husband with ideas of a trip out to Holden Village since he could get financial aid being a youth minister and all.

• 8 Pieces // Jun 7, 2007 at 7:37 pm

You are on fire for me tonight! I also have on my list to get my shears and pinkers sharpened but didn’t know when to go where. Thanks again.

• 9 megan // Jun 7, 2007 at 8:26 pm

FranciePants – Now I really want to get up there and see it.

Pieces – You are welcome, I was really pleased to find that he turns up places I’m likely to want to visit anyhow.

• 10 Courtney // Jun 9, 2007 at 5:16 pm

So glad you mentioned “A Short History”. It was such a wonderful book; I highly recommend it, and other books of Bill Bryson’s, to anyone who loves to read.

• 11 Kristel // Jun 12, 2007 at 10:24 pm

His accent IS composite. Trouble with his read, I think, are the pauses. Too forced. When I read Bill Bryson’s books, part of what makes them amazing is the text flow. And whether or not it was his editor or him that put in the lengthy pauses, they distrupt the streaming consciousness of the text. To me, it was sadness hearing it, but a truly amazing read.