what I learned last week

So, you know how sometimes you’ll go to the store to get beer and you’ll see six packs that are missing a few bottles? Somebody has bought a mixed six pack (and inevitably they’ve bought half the bottles from the last six pack of the beer you wanted). I always wondered if there was any etiquette behind that, and last weekend I got to ask a nice shopkeeper about it. He explained that in his store you can mix six packs as much as you want but they’ll charge you a single-bottle price for each bottle in the pack, meaning, for example, instead of $8 you could pay $12 for a mixed pack. Taking a few bottles out of a last six-pack is rude, but for all the swapper knows there is more in the back. If the beer you came for is victim of missing bottles you can negotiate a normal six-pack price with replacements.

· comments [14] · 06-6-2007 · categories:drink · links ·

• 1 Donna // Jun 6, 2007 at 8:01 am

There were several liquor stores I used to patronize because they would allow you to mix beers and they carried an amazing variety. But it was much more expensize and something I only did for a treat. Trader Joe’s however (at least the one by us) does not charge more for a mixed pack. Most of their six packs are around 6.00 so single beers are around 1.00. It’s nice when you want to try something new but don’t want to commit to the whole six pack

• 2 megan // Jun 6, 2007 at 8:20 am

That is great to know, thanks.

• 3 Vanessa // Jun 6, 2007 at 8:27 am

I’ve actually done this before with different flavored beers of the same brand (Red Hook, Mirror Pond, Full Sail, etc). It works well if you only want *a couple* Amber or something, or if you want to try a new flavor from a brewery you love.

• 4 Wende // Jun 6, 2007 at 8:32 am

I always wondered about this. What I learned last week? Also Beer related: Stout and Chocolate Ice Cream together make great “milk”shakes. :D

• 5 Elise // Jun 6, 2007 at 8:54 am

Swoon, pyramid beer….

I never have noticed paying more for a mixed pack, though a few times I have seen that I pick up a six pack and get home and have a few different beers in it. It’s usually a nice surprise.

• 6 Hanna // Jun 6, 2007 at 10:12 am

My boyfriend works at a Hyvee in West Des Moines, IA, and they have a special shelf of single beers specifically for mixing. They have a stack of fold out carboard carriers right next to them. I believe that because they don’t carry most of these beers in 6 packs, its actually cheaper to mix and match them then buying them as singles (aka buy more for less).

• 7 Blonde Justice // Jun 6, 2007 at 5:48 pm

Wow, great info, and something I’ve wondered about too. Thanks!

• 8 Deb // Jun 6, 2007 at 6:26 pm

the Stop & Shop in Hingham, MA does this too! The first time I saw this I had to buy a 6 pack all for myself with full of girly beers! (OK, I know I didn’t have to drink them ALL in one night! but I had fun!)

• 9 Maura // Jun 6, 2007 at 7:38 pm

My SuperTarget has single beers for mixing and cardboard carriers.

• 10 megan // Jun 6, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Thanks for the updates for different stores! I’ll have to check and see if there are six-pack holders in my favorite beer places.

• 11 Abbey // Jun 7, 2007 at 4:16 am

Why don’t we have this? Love this idea! It reminds me of getting wine 6-packs in the grocery store in CA… and if you got a 6-pack, you got 10% off!

• 12 Anna // Jun 7, 2007 at 5:15 am

Wow, I always thought this was kind of a no-no (but I do it anyway, of course). Good to know I really don’t need to feel bad about it anymore!

• 13 Julie // Jun 7, 2007 at 1:38 pm

i **tHINK** most Super Stop & Shops do it, Also TOPS that are owned by the same copmany as Stop & Shop. =)

• 14 kiita // Jun 7, 2007 at 10:51 pm

You can mix single beer bottles at World Market, too.