for the home

Glidden ceiling paint goes on pink, dries white, at Cool Tools.

How to paint a rug at Craft.

How to make a homasote bulletin board, at Craft.

Shelterrific recommends the book The Virgin Homeowner : The Essential Guide to Owning, Maintaining, and Surviving Your Home, I need this.

Small candle sconce at Product Dose.

at various Apartment Therapy sites:

Urban Outfitters Greenhouse concept looks interesting, too bad I’m needing to buy greenhouse-y stuff right now.

Mounting a flower box on a crazy sill, that looks like my old SF apartment view.

Deck the walls, I like this hook system.

Imitating Orla Kiely style, pretty pretty.

Do microfiber cleaning cloths work?

Two bin recycling center. I’ve seen this a few times and kinda like it. If we cannot manage to fit our recycling under the sink I’ll get this.

Stainless Steel picture ledge by Hivemind. Expensive but you can get it really long, or cut to size. We use stainless picture ledges from Pottery Barn in our kitchen but those come in two pieces and probably aren’t as sturdy.

I really like the three armed hooks shown here, they look sweet.

Love for the magic eraser, but listen to the warning to use gently on painted walls, it will rub the paint right off.

I keep seeing Parkhaus everywhere, but these felt boxes are so nice looking.

· comments [7] · 06-6-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 maryse // Jun 6, 2007 at 9:41 am

i have a glass top electric stove which is a bitch to clean. you normally have to use this special gritless product to get it clean and still it’s a pain. but the magic eraser has proven to be a wonderful alternative. it gets almost everything off without having to use the “scrub” and with a fraction of the elbow grease. once i’ve wiped the top down with the eraser, i then just rinse it with water.

• 2 Kris // Jun 6, 2007 at 11:02 am

Watch out! While the Magic Eraser is definately magical, one some surfaces (interior doors, cupboards, anything with a slight sheen to it) it leaves teeny little scratch marks on it. You can tell where I’ve used it on doors and cabinets in the right light. But sometimes thats better than big, old dirty fingerprints….

• 3 Melissa // Jun 6, 2007 at 6:37 pm

I used the Glidden pink to white paint on all the ceilings of our new-to-us house – I liked that I could tell where I’d been and the rectangular “roller-ready” container really saved time.

However, when we put up trim which we’d painted a Behr brand base white, the Glidden paint looks like it has a grey tinge to it – didn’t notice it against colored walls, but it’s quite noticeable against the brighter, truer white. Lesson learned: paint the ceiling and walls the same brand of white.

• 4 megan // Jun 6, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Melissa – Bummer, thanks for the note.

• 5 Joy // Jun 7, 2007 at 4:28 am

I’ve read the Virgin Homeowner, and was very disappointed. I thought it would have more DIY-type of information, but a big portion of it was dedicated to how to find the right financing avoiding extra fees, and knowing how to evaluate a home to purchase (things to watch out for like out-dated electrical systems). Once you’re in the house, I didn’t find it so useful…

• 6 megan // Jun 7, 2007 at 7:05 am

Joy – Ah, so it’s more like the Virgin Homebuyer. Thanks for letting me know.

• 7 Melissa // Jun 7, 2007 at 11:56 am

In my earlier post about the Glidden paint: my lesson learned was to paint the ceiling and TRIM the same shade of white.

I still think it’s a good product, though, and I don’t know how I would’ve been able to put up a 2nd coat of paint on the ceiling without the helpful pinkness.