food stuff

Mighty Girl on her menu planning. I’ve been trying to get a handle on having good food ready to go around this lately, so far it involves making things to keep in the freezer.

Erica Mulherin on her current sources for recipes.

The best way to reheat a chicken, the roasted chickens from our local natural market come refrigerated. We resort to roasted chickens about once a week.

Jejune has trouble finding Dutch-process cocoa lately, and so have I. An episode of America’s Test Kitchen recently rated Hershey Dutch Process cocoa high in a taste test but I cannot find it anywhere. I know I saw some around last December. update: Annie (thanks Annie!) commented to let me know Hershey’s replaced their Dutched cocoa with Special Dark, which Cook’s Illustrated reports does not taste as good. Droste was CI’s pick for dutch cocoa available in grocery stores.

These pink shortbread cookies made by Jek In The Box are charming.

Amusing footage from a video camera going around the conveyer belt at a Tokyo sushi bar, all the way back into the kitchen too. Via Serious Eats.

A Cabbage Salad (mis)Named Cole Slaw at Seattest.

Omigosh, Dori Greenspan has a blog, and she likes the Furi knife sharpener which is good news because I’m desperately in need of something to sharpen my knives.

Must make: Chocolate and peanut granola from Nigella Feasts.

· comments [25] · 05-31-2007 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 fillyjonk // May 31, 2007 at 8:23 am

At least where I live, a lot of the “specialty” baking stuff (like Dutch Process cocoa, which I’m not sure I’d consider “specialty” – it’s pretty common in recipes) tends to appear around November and disappear after Christmas.

It’s sort of frustrating. I’m considering buying a bunch of the cocoa the next time it’s available and storing it in the freezer so I have a supply for the rest of the year.

• 2 michelle // May 31, 2007 at 8:48 am

I saw some Droste at Safeway the other day. Isn’t that Dutch process?

• 3 megan // May 31, 2007 at 8:54 am

Droste is Dutch process, yes. In some stores they shelve it slightly away from the other cocoas, I’m not sure why. In my case I wanted to compare the Hershey Dutch Process to Droste, but in looking for the Hershey I’ve noticed I cannot find any other Dutch cocoa.

I think Fillyjonk is right, I’m just looking for it in the wrong season.

• 4 Annie // May 31, 2007 at 9:44 am

ATK’s test results were updated in in the January 2005 issue of Cook’s Illustrated (same people) because Hershey has stopped making their “European Style” cocoa and replaced with “Special Dark,” which is also Dutch processed. Unfortunately, they also rated the new style overdutched and no longer good.

Sure enough, in a blind tasting of Chocolate Butter Cookies made with the original Hershey’s European Style and the new Hershey’s Special Dark, comments focused on the latter’s dry, “hollow” texture, off-putting “black mud” color, and “chalky Oreo” flavor. Tasters much preferred the versions made with the moderately alkalized Callebaut cocoa (our mail-order favorite) and Droste, a widely available brand that is now our top-rated supermarket cocoa.

• 5 Jennie // May 31, 2007 at 9:53 am

I watched that ep of Nigella over the weekend. Need to try that, and the cheesecakelets.

• 6 megan // May 31, 2007 at 9:54 am

Annie – Thanks so much, in the taste test I viewed the Droste wasn’t even mentioned. It’s good to know they do like it as a second choice.

• 7 Bubbles // May 31, 2007 at 10:07 am

Hmm.. odd. I know I’ve gotten Dutch process (hershey brand) cocoa in the “off” season before. I’ll have to look for it the next time I hit my grocery store.

• 8 Jamie // May 31, 2007 at 10:07 am

On the first Saturday of every month, City People’s on Sand Point Way has knife sharpening for $2 per knife. They do a really good job. My mom has had hers for years and took them in… they’re just like new!

• 9 megan // May 31, 2007 at 10:12 am

Jamie – Thanks, this will be a great reason to check out City People’s.

• 10 Miss Sassy // May 31, 2007 at 10:29 am

I’ll look for some Hershey’s Dutch Process next time I shop. That Granola has me drooling. I can’t wait to try it!

• 11 megan // May 31, 2007 at 10:36 am

Bubble and Miss Sassy – See Annie’s comment above regarding the Hershey’s cocoa, they’ve replaced it with a not as good cocoa.

• 12 Angela // May 31, 2007 at 12:17 pm

I make the Nigella granola without the peanuts and cocoa, the recipe is in her cookbook, Feast. My husband likes it best of all my granola attempts. Excellent with yogurt. I also use white corn syrup instead of rice syrup because that’s what I usually have on hand.

• 13 Clover // May 31, 2007 at 1:37 pm

The pink shortbread are so cute!!

• 14 rachel // May 31, 2007 at 2:24 pm

I contacted Hershey and they said that it isn’t true that they replaced the dutch process with the special dark cocoa. Apparently one might just be easier to find than the other depending on your market.

• 15 amy // May 31, 2007 at 2:27 pm

the special darj cocoa isn’t that great. and it is so dark that when i used it for frosting it looked almost black.

droste is my favorite although a bit more $$ than hersheys.

• 16 amy // May 31, 2007 at 2:27 pm

i meant dark cocoa of course, doh!

• 17 nazilam // May 31, 2007 at 3:24 pm

I did not like the special dark cocoa. I was totally intrigued by it when I first bought it.

I made three things that you should make with cocoa.

1. brownies
    2. tapioca
    3. pudding

The brownies were okay. The tapioca and the pudding both had a strange metallic taste.

I’m all for dutched cocoa but recently am using regular cocoa. The TJ’s cocoa isn’t too bad.

Peets makes a great dutched cocoa.

nm

• 18 nataline // May 31, 2007 at 9:34 pm

Great video from the sushi bar! Thanks for the link.

• 19 zannestar // Jun 1, 2007 at 4:13 am

OMG – LOVE this list. Making my grocery list RIGHT NOW!!! Thanks!

• 20 whitney // Jun 1, 2007 at 9:14 am

I was searching for dutch process cocoa last weekend and couldn’t find it anywhere. I’d seen it at Trader Joe’s before, but they said it was a seasonal product. My local Nob Hill, Whole Foods, and Draegers didn’t have it either. I ended up going with non dutch processed Dagoba organic cocoa, which seemed to have no adverse affects on the final product. However, after my cookie dough was already made, I did find this page about chocolate substitutions.

• 21 Katie // Jun 1, 2007 at 11:44 am

Thanks for rallying the troops around the dutch process question — it’s puzzling to me that it’s considered a seasonal item, but if people aren’t buying much of it (or aware of the difference between it and the standard stuff) I can see how stores might devote the shelf space for something else. I’ll just hope that I’m within an arm’s reach of a Penzey’s from now on.

• 22 chronicler // Jun 1, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Megan, I didn’t read through the rest of the comments, so I may duplicate an answer.
    I just got back from a two hour drive today to buy dutched cocoa. The. Best. Ever! I love Penzeys dutched cocoa, (the Penzeys store is a drive but toward the coast so not bad). It has such a rich deep dark flavor. I made some frosting for cupcakes for my husbands work two weeks ago. A lady asked him today when they’d get more.

Penzeys.com should have it too.

• 23 Val Ann C // Jun 1, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Another vote for penzeys. They have very good dutch process and other types of cocoa at a good price.
    I’ve been using penzeys.com mail order for years.

• 24 Patti // Jun 1, 2007 at 9:03 pm

I love Scharfenberger cocoa, but I can’t find it around anymore. I think Trader Joe’s has Droste.

• 25 sarah // Jun 2, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Just had to weight in on the meal-planning – it’s our Saturday morning tradition! It’s how we get the best use out of the groceries we buy and lets us see what we’ll need for the week so that we can cook seasonally. It’s also how we save money by avoiding buying things we won’t need.

I’ve also found that taking the time to plan meals keeps cooking (and eating!) interesting, and lets us accomodate busy nights with quick meals. Of course, we always build one or two “blank” nights into the schedule to use up leftovers, or for those irresistable desires for take-out thai.