seattle things

Poutine is on the menu at the Steelhead Diner, at Seattlest.

Latin markets in Seattle, for the Mexican Coca-cola search. Though, if you haven’t heard, Costco is selling Mexican Coke now.

Oregon coast trip at Seattlest.

I Heart Fabric recommends the Lucious Skin Spa on Phinney, and offers 20% off coupons in her store, The Frock Shop (which is well worth a visit even without the promise of coupons).

Seattlest on bad times at Seattle libraries. That’s nothing, I once has a Wallingford branch librarian be so inexpicably nasty (how DARE I want to check a book out!) to both the little old lady in front of me and myself that I cried on my walk home. Then I started going to a different library and avoiding Seattle librarians whenever I can, as they continue to prove themselves a very unhappy group of people. Why?

· comments [14] · 05-24-2007 · categories:seattle ·

• 1 christina // May 24, 2007 at 9:23 am

Poutine in Seattle?? I had no idea. I was looking forward to trying some on an upcoming trip to Montreal, but now I don’t know if I can wait.

• 2 Sarah // May 24, 2007 at 10:30 am

First of all, I’m sorry that you have had bad experience at libraries. I work at the circulation desk at a Canadian Library and you should know that we are not librarians, we are library assistants (clerks). We don’t have a professional degree, please don’t complain about librarians. That said, there is no reason for unpleasantness, and really I’m sorry that it happens. If you have ideas or comments about your library or the service that you receive there, let your library know. Fill out a comment sheet. Don’t stop visiting your library, help make it better.

• 3 megan // May 24, 2007 at 11:02 am

Sarah – Thanks, I did let the library know. The branches here are very small, usually only a few people working there so it’s easy enough to distinguish between the librarians and assistants.

• 4 Lisa // May 24, 2007 at 11:49 am

Yes, Sarah is correct, the people at the circ desk are not technically librarians. I am a professional librarian (with a MLIS degree), and I would encourage you to speak with the library director or branch manager about the issue. Customer service should be a priority at public libraries!

• 5 KC // May 24, 2007 at 12:42 pm

I’ve noticed that about the people at the Seattle library circulation desks as well. The central library has the self check outs and then a grouchy clerk will come over unasked, grab the books to “help” and act really bothered by it. It’s very odd. Let’s encourage literacy, people!

• 6 Annette // May 24, 2007 at 1:16 pm

I always get so sad when I hear about bad service in libraries. I’ve worked at various circulation desks for the past 7 years and am currently in the process of getting my MLIS degree, and the one thing that I’ve learned from every library I’ve been employed at and every class I’ve taken is that we work for the patron. Our job is to make the patron happy and keep them encouraged to visit their library! I’ve seen instances where patrons made librarians/clerks cry, but never the other way around. I’m glad you let the librarians at Seattle public library know, because if they loose you as a patron, they should definately loose that clerk as an employee. I’m sure Seattle has great librarians (just one bad clerk)… see http://www.nancypearl.com

• 7 Silvia // May 24, 2007 at 2:28 pm

I’m sad to hear of your less-than-pleasant experiences with our librarians! Perhaps I’ve just been lucky, but my trips to the library have always been fantastic. Don’t give up!

• 8 Daphne // May 24, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Wow. I’ve never had negative experiences with the Seattle Public Library staff, though I’ve never liked the hole-in-the-wall that is the Wallingford branch. The staff at the Queen Anne branch are my favorites; I used to interact with Jasmine and a guy whose name I don’t know there a lot and they were my library friends. Then I moved to Wallingford and the branch was one of the many down sides to Wallingford. Ugh.

I’ve also never had Poutine so I’m going to see about changing that.

• 9 marielle // May 24, 2007 at 4:34 pm

As a recent MLIS grad, I would be thrilled beyond belief to be hired by the Seattle PL, so much so that I could never be grouchy toward a patron! Yet Wallingford Nasty McGrumperson has a job there, and I don’t. Hrrmph.

• 10 michelle // May 25, 2007 at 8:15 am

I live out in the burbs, so it’s the King County Library for me. They’ve all been really nice, but I hardly ever talk to any of the staff. I just take full advantage of the online book holds and they have an automated self-checkout system. Sorry to hear abour your unfortunate run-in with a person who shouldn’t be working with people.

• 11 Sarah // May 25, 2007 at 8:48 pm

I thought of you at the circ. desk today and I was extra nice to everyone. Even the patrons with shifty eyes!

• 12 FranciePants // May 27, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Sadly, I know yer pain at the wallingford branch. I used to live a block from it. Twas my source for email checking while my husband and I were still long distance. It was no surprise when budget cuts demanded that branch close for weeks at a time. I figured it was only a matter of time before the little place closed for good.

• 13 megan // May 27, 2007 at 4:01 pm

Francie – It’s only closed while they move the collection around for expansion into a larger space.

• 14 mjoe // May 31, 2007 at 1:42 pm

I’ve had nothing but good interactions with SPL staff. Go to the Douglass-Truth or Columbia City branches every week or two, and it’s nothin but love. Sorry you had a bad one!