for the home

New Marimekko fabrics, at Charles & Marie.

Where can I find these planters? at AT:NYC.

FiberFloor by Tarkett that simply lays over existing hard floor surfaces, perfect for renters. AT:NYC.

Do anti-fatigue kitchen mats work? at Shelteriffic. I remember that mats like this were required by OSHA when I worked in costume shops (you mostly work standing at the work table).

Painting next to exposed brick, I like the lime green in the last picture. AT:NYC.

Apartment Therapy’s Home Tech Finalist #1, I love the set up they have created here, it’s very close to what I pictured needing for our own cramped television watching area. AT:Home Tech.

Rainbow wall shelves, at AT:LA. Seems easy enough to recreate as well.

Call 811 before you dig, at Modern Roost. I’ll need to remember this for when we go to plant that tree.

Droog Peep wallpaper, at AT:SF. This is so amazing and strange.

Magically Magnetic for all sorts of magnet things. AT:NY.

About Homasote fiberboard, I didn’t know it is a green material. At AT:NY.

Hanging bare bulbs prettily at AT:NYC. We are (still) planning something like this, soonish.

Z-Box, a private bedroom for your ginormous ultra cool loft. AT:NYC.

A $1400 Ikea kitchen makeover, I so hope to lose my stuck-in-the-80s kitchen cabinets and not-good-for-coffee-making white formica counters in a few years. AT:SF.

A good mop at Modern Roost.

Ikea BestA storage is really tall. Want your own library ladder? At Product Dose.

Poison free ant and roach spray, at Cool Tools.

· comments [9] · 05-21-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Erin // May 21, 2007 at 10:35 am

Snap! Can you fix that last link? Every spring we get some gross big black ants that want to hang out in the kitchen – I’ve been searching for poison free spray…It currently links to the Ikea storage link directly above it.

• 2 megan // May 21, 2007 at 10:48 am

Oops, fixed now. Sorry about that.

• 3 denise // May 21, 2007 at 11:40 am

at:ny’s comments aren’t working for me, but i’ve seen similar planters in office furniture catalogs.

• 4 Theresa // May 21, 2007 at 12:35 pm

I adore you, Megan! You find the COOLEST things! :-)

• 5 Brianna // May 21, 2007 at 6:02 pm

I have the ant and roach spray and while I cannot speak for ants or roaches the water beetles we have in NYC laugh at my hippy ass whenever I spray it at them.

• 6 Kim // May 22, 2007 at 11:47 am

Please, do not get any cabinetry from Ikea. When we bought our house 2 years ago they had just replaced the bathroom and kitchen cabinets with Ikea stuff. It looked spiffy. Two years later it needs to be replaced soon. The moist air here has made the pulpwood expand and it’s a mess. :(

• 7 charlie // May 23, 2007 at 11:19 am

Terro Ant Killer works wonders and is based with Borax which is harmless to humans. This is a great product and has worked for us.

• 8 Cinnamon // May 23, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Thank you for the homasote link. This helps me immensely with a project I have in my mind. The recycled nature of it is a huge plus, too.

And it won’t do much for carpenter ants (the big black kind) but sugar ants die instantly when squirted with Simple Green. And since SG is a grease cutter it eliminates the trails they leave to direct everyone to follow them. We get them every year in the spring and fall. One day of dripping SG in the cracks they crawl out of and they leave us alone for six months.

• 9 Michelle // May 24, 2007 at 6:49 am

My local Ace Hardware store has that mint oil ant and roach spray. It’s great for the medium sized black ants we get here in south Florida that aren’t sugar ants or carpenter ants, but they’re everywhere. We can never wipe them out completely, but I can keep them from swarming everywhere indoors with this stuff.