maker faire

If you’re headed to the Maker Faire next weekend there are a few things you might like to check out.

Lotta Jansdotter will be on the main stage on Saturday, and afterwards she’ll be signing her book Simple Sewing at the Chronicle Books booth.

Shannon Okey and Cecily Kim will be holding workshops at the Lion Brand Booth. (Has anybody tried the new Cotton-Ease yarn? Do you like it?)

Fred Flare will have a booth at the Bazaar Bizarre inside the Maker Faire.

Craft will have several areas including a corner where you can hang out, two demo areas, and a booth.

Much more information, schedules and times can be found at Craft.

added:
Susan Beal will be holding two jewelry making workshops and she’ll also be selling small kits of beads and jewelry findings with instructions.

– Bonnie Burton will be holding a few workshops on how to make your own Yoda doll (adorable).

– Seek out the Glamscience booth, Daria will be have these amazingly sparkly belt buckles for sale, along with droolworthy glitter jewelry.

· comments [10] · 05-15-2007 · categories:craft · events ·

• 1 Lois // May 15, 2007 at 10:26 am

I used the LionBrand Cotton Ease (2 strands held together throughout) for the Yee Haw Lady Cowboy Hat in the Happy Hooker book. It knits and crochets very nicely, but I was attempting to crochet the hat from the pattern prior to the errata being published, so i was very unhappy with the end result. It felt and looked lovely, but I frogged it and have yet to wrestle with the changes and make it a second time.

• 2 Libby // May 15, 2007 at 11:40 am

I really like the new Cotton Ease by Lion. I was a big fan of this yarn before it was “discontinued” but didn’t love the colors. The new CE colors are much better and it knits up very nicely.

• 3 Jenn // May 15, 2007 at 12:11 pm

I only recently found the new Cotton Ease in stores around here (why the delay? I’m 10 minutes outside a city!) and the colors are so much better than the old ones. I still have 40ish skeins that I squirreled away when it was discontinued, so I keep telling myself that I should use it first. Still, that green-appley color is awfully tempting…

• 4 Mary // May 15, 2007 at 12:32 pm

I just made a cardigan from the new Cotton Ease. I really like it — no splitting, the acrylic content makes it much lighter than 100% cotton. I haven’t washed it yet, but I have a hoodie I made from the old Cotton Ease and it has worn and washed well.

• 5 natalie // May 15, 2007 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for the props Megan! I hope you can come to Maker Faire in Austin or the Bay Area one next year. Looking forward to meeting you someday in person!

• 6 Ellen // May 15, 2007 at 5:15 pm

I am making the Collared Tank Top from Knit Simple – Spring/Summer 2007 Issue. I love it so far, especially for the price. It is almost as nice as Rowan Calmer (but not quite) and much nicer than Sugar ‘n Cream.

• 7 hag // May 15, 2007 at 6:46 pm

How cool! I want a maker faire in my area! Why is all the cool stuff always in the states?!

• 8 mariko // May 16, 2007 at 7:26 am

thanks so much for mentioning us, megan! fredflare.com hearts not martha!! xxoo mariko

• 9 claudine // May 16, 2007 at 9:12 am

We’re taking our cupcake cars to the Maker’s Faire this weekend :D

• 10 Bonnie // Jun 11, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Thanks for posting about my Yoda Felt Doll craft!
    Here are the photos from the event: