Edward Scissorhands, on stage?

The 5th Avenue Theatre here in Seattle has a special offer for their production of Edward Scissorhands, Young Professional’s Night:

Attend Young Professionals’ Night at the 5th Avenue Theatre on Friday, April 27 at 8 PM and see the new stage adaptation of “Edward Scissorhands”

Buy your advance tickets for this special event using promotional code: TOPIARY. This code will get you the best seats available (a regular $68 value) for only $40. You must be 39 or under to take advantage of the offer. Please have your ID ready as you enter the theater.

To buy your tickets, simply go to http://www.5thavenue.org, call 206-625-1900, or stop by the 5th Avenue Theatre Box Office in-person. Don’t forget to use the promotional code TOPIARY when ordering your tickets.

For more information, visit the 5th Avenue Theatre Website.

I’ve been encountering bits about this show and the work of the choreographer Matthew Bourne, story in Time and a bit on NPR, and I’m curious to see this production.

· comments [10] · 04-20-2007 · categories:events · seattle ·

• 1 Amy // Apr 20, 2007 at 8:53 am

It was here in St Louis a month or so ago. Although I did not make it a few friends did, and the reviews were very mixed. It is a ballet so be prepared for that if you are not a ballet fan… I believe the friends who did not enjoy were not fans of ballet.

• 2 Shana // Apr 20, 2007 at 10:26 am

The show was just here in Toronto. It was the first time one of Bourne’s shows got to Toronto – there have been failed attempts to bring his all male Swan Lake and Car Man here but they were cancelled at the last minute for various reasons. I really enjoyed it. However we were sitting quite close and at the venue it was in here in TO you had to be sitting up close to get the emotion from Edward’s face as it’s a giant old 1960′s roadhouse style theatre. Even my hubbie enjoyed it and to be honest he thought it was a musical and didn’t know about the no speaking until we were at the theatre – I kinda glossed over that when buying the tickets. Bourne was interviewed for one of the papers here and he had a good point apparently Johnny Depp only spoke 165 words in the entire film so it wasn’t a big stretch to go with none.

• 3 Mymsie // Apr 20, 2007 at 11:02 am

Hi! I enjoy reading your blog and thought I’d tell you about a new feature on my blog called Courting Predicament. I present dating conundrums and hope for lots of feedback on the matter. I’d love to hear from your readers!

• 4 Katy B // Apr 20, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Hi Megan,

A friend and I went to see this production in Charlotte, NC in January. We both absolutely loved it. She is a dance instructor and called the choreography “unique” even though she thought that a couple of the lead dancers weren’t as strong as they should be. As a non-dancer, I couldn’t tell. It’s not strictly a ballet, as it incorporates many different styles, but you have to be able to appreciate dance or you may be bored. The set design and production are beautiful and the music is haunting and quirky, like it was in the movie. I’d see it again if I had the opportunity.

• 5 Michelle // Apr 20, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Yes, Edward Scissorhands is going to the theater, but so is…Spiderman… oy.

• 6 Anjali // Apr 21, 2007 at 1:54 am

I saw Edward Scissorhands when it was in LA, and I also saw Play Without Words (another Bourne musical) a couple years ago. While I really enjoyed Play Without Words, I was a little disappointed with Edward Scissorhands. It was enjoyable, but mostly it made me want to watch the movie again. It seemed to be missing some of the haunting quality the movie has.

I think this is my first time commenting in about 5 years! (Though I’ve been reading all along.) The last time was when I painted the ugly mirrored closet in my house with your beer-and-epsom-salt technique. Thanks for all the great, informative posts!

• 7 Samantha // Apr 22, 2007 at 7:54 am

Oddly enough, I saw this production in Denver the same night you posted… For us, it was a can’t go wrong deal as the local art center put tickets on sale buy-one-get-one-free, which left us with $12.50 per ticket price (for our very high up cheap seats…) It was quite enjoyable- the choreography was lively, clever, and humorous, and overall, it was just fun to watch. I did leave thinking that I love the movie much much more, but i’m glad I went.

• 8 paola // Apr 23, 2007 at 3:09 am

I’ve seen and adored all Matthew Bourne’s other stuff in London, so am definitely going to try and get to this.

If his Swan Lake or The Car Man ever come to town kill to get tickets – they’re amazing

• 9 Delica // Apr 23, 2007 at 4:24 pm

I saw the production at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was engrossed the whole time and didn’t realize an hour had passed by the time for intermission. There were only two dances that I thought were a big too long, but the costumes and sets are stunning. I would totally see it again. Hope you get to see it.

• 10 TheJerseyTomato // Apr 27, 2007 at 2:42 pm

The poster reminds me of one of the delightful children’s tales I read as a child…

PS: Batboy the Musical is being made into a movie. I guess to balance the playing field now that ES has crossed over.