strong, like woman, follow up

There has been a continuing discussion on my previous post about Secret Clinical Strength, and from that sampling it doesn’t appear that anybody is really impressed. I’ve been using it for about two weeks and I can say it’s made a difference, but I didn’t start seeing one until the second week. Secret Clinical Strength is a soft solid that is pushed out of the tube using a clicking wheel at the bottom. I applied two clicks at night (as the instructions recommend) and one click in the morning. I can say my underarms have stayed drier and nicer smelling and that I’m feeling pretty confident about it. However, the effectiveness isn’t miraculous, and that’s where I suspect Secret might have set themselves up for a little grumbling.

Secret Clinical Strength contains the same active ingredient found in most anti-perspirants, aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex gly, but at a slightly higher amount of 20% whereas most anti-perspirants are between 12 and 18%*. Other anti-perspirant options come in the for of the possibly but not necessarily stingy, over the counter Certain Dri which has the active ingedient Aluminum Chloride 12%. The prescription Drysol has aluminum chloride hexahydrate at 25%. Some commenters in the previous post mention that Certain Dri works better for them than Secret Clinical Strength.

Side note: I’ve heard from a few places that Mitchum works better than other anti-perspirants. I did a little researching an it appears that they changed the active ingredient to the common aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex a few years back. Interestingly, my tube of Lady Mitchum Gel contains 20% aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex, the same amount as Secret Clinical Strength, but I cannot get the Mitchum Gel to dry and I end up with sticky underarms all day. However, the other day I came across this Mitchum cream with the active ingredient Aluminum Dichlorohydrate 15%, which appears to be the Mitchum people who have been using it for 30 years know and love. I do not know if it is more effective.

Back to Secret Clinical Strength. In my opinion the special thing with Secret Clinical Strength is that they instruct you to apply it before you go to bed, which is how Certain Dri and Drysol are supposed to be applied. However, according to the International Hyperhidrosis Society, applying regular anti-perspirants in the evening is a proven technique:

“A recent study funded by Procter & Gamble Beauty, the makers of Secret Platinum, found that applying over-the-counter antiperspirants in the morning and evening, or just in the evening, was significantly more effective than applying them in the morning alone.

If you’re not sure you want to, or can’t find the time to apply your antiperspirant more than once a day, you can still improve its efficacy, say the researchers. Just change the time of day that you apply it. Studies show that applying an antiperspirant just in the evening, as opposed to just in the morning, gives better results.”

So there you go, in my opinion Secret Clinical Strength is simply a good normal anti-perspirant but the marketing and nighttime application technique make it seem special and mysterious. However, it is expensive, so when my tube runs out I’m going to buy a regular soft solid and apply it with the same schedule (before bed, and a little in the mornings) to see how it compares. I’ll report back.

update: In Episode 57 the girls at Lipgloss and Laptops give Secret Clinical Strength a thumbs up.

* I am not a doctor, nor a studied person in these things at all. I came across this number by pulling a bunch of anti-perspirants samples I’ve been gathering out of my bathroom closet and looking at the ingredients. My Dove Ulitmate Clear says 14.8%, Dove Invisible Solid 18.5%, Lady Speed Stick 16.1%, Mitchum for Women Gel 20%.

· comments [79] · 04-17-2007 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 Josie // Apr 17, 2007 at 8:09 am

This post is very interesting to me. The aluminum in most commercial deodorants has been linked to many many illnesses and other such things.

The body is made to sweat so it cools itself down. There are plenty of deodorants out there available that control smell, yet allow the body to do what it naturally does.

• 2 Austin // Apr 17, 2007 at 8:36 am

Josie, I agree with you. I don’t want anything to do with aluminum in my armpits.
    I’m a man. A stinky man at that. There, I said it. Since I’m a stinky man, I wanted something that was aluminum-free, yet would keep me from knocking out my girlfriend from 20-yards. I’ve tried lots of natural deodorants and none of them would last the day. I’d still come home smelly.
    However, recently I started using Tom’s of Maine long-lasting deodorant and it works like a charm. No aluminum. here if you’re interested

• 3 Megan // Apr 17, 2007 at 8:50 am

I haven’t tried Secret Clinical Strength, but I do like Certain Dri. At first when I used it every night, it made my underarms very itchy (my skin is pretty sensitive), but once I started using it every two or three nights I had no problem with itching and it’s kept me dry very well. I tried men’s Mitchum gel and it worked for about a week. I guess it all depends on how you sweat and what your body responds to.

• 4 rose // Apr 17, 2007 at 9:04 am

How does this interact with your showering schedule? I shower in the morning, so applying the antiperspirant then seems reasonable.

• 5 megan // Apr 17, 2007 at 10:12 am

Rose – The first few nights I washed under my arms, after that I got awfully busy and just applied it. I shower in the morning. It seemed to work out fine.

• 6 Ana // Apr 17, 2007 at 10:48 am

I’m slightly suspicious of a study funded by the anti-perspirant companies that suggests more effectiveness in using twice a day. There may be truth to it, but the underlying effect is to use (and buy) twice as much anti-perspirant. That being said, I might still give it a try.

• 7 erin // Apr 17, 2007 at 12:57 pm

I signed up for the Secret Clinical Trial, but haven’t received my sample yet.

I had a SERIOUS underarm moisture issue for several years. I tried everything – even a trip to the dermatologist. He told me I could get Botox injections to help it stop. No thanks. It was so bad I would soak through three shirts and a wool sweater. Ick. No idea why it happened, I only weigh about 110 lbs, and don’t sweat anywhere else.

I started using Certain Dri (note: read directions). After using it incorrectly for awhile, I started applying it at night as directed. Don’t use it after shaving. It is a miracle.

I applied it once a day for a week, then every other day for several months, then maybe once a week, and now I haven’t had to apply it in 8 months. I don’t typically wear anyt deoderant or anti perspirant now, and I’m not stinky or sticky in the underarm area.

I am a little nervous about the aluminum, but it was so horrible that I was ruining shirts left and right, and had dark rings down my shirts daily. Embarrassing!

• 8 Abby // Apr 17, 2007 at 2:00 pm

I had this problem when I was in college, and I went to the doctor about it. I was told to use Mitchum – it’s what med students use, too, so I was told. I did not use the gel, however, because it felt too wet. It worked. I grew out of the problem, thankfully. Or I think that the problem was stress, and on one December day in 2001, I was FREE. (Of college, that is.)

• 9 Abby // Apr 17, 2007 at 2:02 pm

ALSO. Have you seen the deoderant made of mineral salts and water … or something like that. It’s just … water. But it works! My MIL, who had part of her breast removed, uses it because it has nothing harmful in it. You can buy it at Target – that’s the only place we get it. It might not get you through the gym, but it gets us through the work day.

• 10 Kathy // Apr 17, 2007 at 4:22 pm

I started using deoderant vs antiperspirant a few years back, and was surprised at one thing: after a few weeks I actually wasn’t sweating as much. I didn’t have as much underarm sweat, but also found I didn’t get as sweaty all over (and I’m the sort that doesn’t “glow” – I sweat). Makes sense, though – cutting off the main avenue for sweat (the underarms) means your body has to get rid of stuff somewhere else, so you sweat more overall. I’m dryer now with just an deoderant than I was when I used an antiperspirant!

• 11 Iportion // Apr 17, 2007 at 4:48 pm

I will buy off brand deodorants but of name brand I like is Degree

• 12 Jackie // Apr 17, 2007 at 5:06 pm

I have tried the new Secret Deodorant. I love it! I have used it since April 14th. I use it at night and it fights wetness extremely well. Other anti-perspirants have never conrolled the wetness this well. I have tried Certain-Dri, in the past, but found it irritating and did not help with the odor. Also (if I am remembering correctly) it advised not using right after shaving or bathing. For me this was a deal breaker becuase it caused the odor to start while I waited to apply. Others I have tried that have failed me are Degree, Lady Speed Stick, regular Secret, Mitchum, Ban, Arrid, and Arm & Hammer. I was getting to the point I thought I would never find one that would work or that I would have to resort to getting a man’s deodorant and smelling like mens cologne. I wish I had this Secret on my wedding day; i would have been fresh and dry all day! As for using twice a day, I live in FL and have only used it at night. What is amazing, is it will survive the morning shower and if you absolutely feel like using more after the shower just for extra scent then go ahead. I may do the double application when the 90 degree temperatures show up. The loss of damp stains on my clothes is well worth the price. This Secret is definately for those who have issues with traditional anti-perspirants not being strong enough and ultimately it’s probably your body chemistry that determines whuch will work for you. Also check out snopes.com for the truth on the aluminum link and illness.

• 13 Jen // Apr 17, 2007 at 5:19 pm

Josie and Austin, please go read a little on hyperhydrosis before you start telling people that they don’t need antiperspirant.

• 14 Hanna // Apr 17, 2007 at 6:49 pm

I have been using Sauve 24 hr protection which has 20% aluminum chlorohydrate and I can’t see how this secret could be any better, especially when suave has a less greasy feel than most of the secret i’ve ever used. (just my 2 cents :P )

• 15 Jennifer // Apr 17, 2007 at 7:08 pm

If you want the sweat to stop, use Odaban. You can get it at http://www.odaban.com. Apply it at night. I still like to use deodorant the next day to make absolutely sure there is no smell, but it really does stop the sweaty underarm problem.

• 16 meme // Apr 17, 2007 at 7:22 pm

I’ve been using Dove, but it hasn’t helped me with underarm perspiration. I’ve used mineral salts too, but the don’t work either. I think I’ll try the Mitchum cream though. Thank you for all the info!

• 17 Kammy // Apr 18, 2007 at 6:26 am

I’ve been following this topic with interest… so far, none of the OTC brands mentioned works better than my standby — Mitchum Men — UNSCENTED, Roll-On. (OK, maybe the scented versions work as well…but most scents are too strong for my taste). The roll-on often lasts 2 days – as claimed and doesn’t leave marks on my clothes. Mitchum Stick/Gel are OK, but do not last nearly as long as the roll-on version. I’ve never had luck with Mitchum’s brands for women.

Something else, I’ve seen mentioned — stinky pits are an different problem – caused by bacteria, not sweat. If you apply diluted or full-strength bleach or hydrogen peroxide (bleach is faster) a few times a week, you will kill the bacteria – and soon – the stinky problem will disappear. (works for stinky feet too, if there are no other fungal problems and your shoes are not carriers).

• 18 Kelsey // Apr 18, 2007 at 11:35 am

I don’t think anyone could really say that one deodorant is absolutely better than another, and we’re all just going to have to try them out for ourselves.

A lot of people talk very highly about Mitchum. I bought a stick of Mitchum Men about a month or so ago and, even after applying it at night and in the morning, I still get giant wet marks. I’ve even tried applying the Mitchum Men, a secret solid, and a secret gel at once during the nighttime and I still get the marks.

I’m waiting for a sample of the Secret Clinical Strength in the mail (for those of you who don’t know, if you go on the Secret website and fill out a survey for the clinical strength, answering that you sweat a lot and are willing to pay a high price for your deodorant, they’ll send you a free sample in the mail.) If that doesn’t work, I’m going to try Certain Dri. If that doesn’t work, I think I’ll try Odoban.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a trend between deodorants. For example, Mitchum and Certain Dri tend to work for some people and generally if Mitchum doesn’t work than Certain Dri won’t? Just a theory, and not necessarily with those 2 deodorants.

Right now, the only things saving me from embarassment are sweat shield – you apply them to the armpit of your shirt and they absorb the sweat without letting it leak onto the shirt. However, you can really feel the moisture that they’ve absorbed and it can be highly uncomfortable.

• 19 Kristin S // Apr 19, 2007 at 3:38 am

I just started using clinical strength at night, but I haven’t noticed anything yet. I do work in nights in a physically demanding (read: sweaty) job, but it hasn’t helped with general, sitting around in my room underarm perspiration. I’m giving it a two week trial to see how I feel about it.

I generally apply it before bedtime and then apply dove after I shower like normal. I’ll keep you posted.

• 20 Kate // Apr 19, 2007 at 6:03 pm

I’ve been using the Secret Clinical Strength for a few weeks now as well, and I have to disagree with you, Megan: I’ve found the results miraculous!

I’ve always had more of an odor problem than a sweat problem, and I usually apply my regular deodorant at night and in the morning (and sometimes once or twice again during the day), because I read all the same things you read about how it was supposed to help. Nah. Not much.

But this stuff, for me, has been damn near life-changing. I put on two clicks at night and sometimes one click, or maybe a swipe of regular deodorant in the morning (mostly out of habit). I’ve forgotten the morning coat a few times, and have had absolutely no odor problem whatsoever. Thrilling!

So thank you, because I first learned about this stuff from your blog, and for anyone else out there considering this experiment, I say try it yourself before discounting it– your experience might be like mine!

Good luck!

• 21 Abby // Apr 21, 2007 at 5:43 am

So I got the trial version (thank you for the suggestion). And I really like it, i’ve definately noticed less of a smell and less wetness. I’ll be buying it. I’ve always struggled with being sweaty and finding a good deodorant for me, and it really varies, this stuff is pretty close to perfect (for me, at least).

• 22 Elizabeth K // Apr 21, 2007 at 11:51 am

I don’t have serious sweat issues, but lately none of the anti-persperiants seems to be working very well so I decided to give this stuff a try. So far so good. I don’t apply at night though.

• 23 liloo // Apr 22, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Kiss My Face natural deoderant is very nice, but Tom’s has a great recycling program! If one doesn’t have “hyperhydrosis,” natural deoderant is a healthier more environmentally sound choice. I’d choose being a little bit, or even quite sweaty over increased risk of breast cancer anyday.

• 24 Kristen // Apr 22, 2007 at 10:43 pm

I found the deoderant itself smelled way to strong… I washed it off within minutes. Very “old lady”. My husband agreed, we even washed the sheets thanks to the linguring scent.

• 25 Erika // Apr 23, 2007 at 6:37 am

well, crap, I didn’t even think to read the directions on the Secret, and just threw away the $9.99 because it made me smell worse! I wonder if I had used it at night, it would have worked differently. I find I have to change anti-p. every so often to maintain the effectiveness. I’m using Soft N Dry right now and it works pretty well. I will definitely have to try the night thing though. And to think, I always laugh at my husband for putting on DO at night.

• 26 Erin // Apr 23, 2007 at 12:36 pm

I tried it – and it doesn’t work. At all. I should have stuck with the Certain Dri. I’ve had a sweating issue for a few years, which I honestly think was triggered by using too much antiperspirant. Yuck.

• 27 Kelsey // Apr 23, 2007 at 12:58 pm

“The Aluminium Myth…
    Scare stories relating to antiperspirants causing cancer and Alzheimer’s have been circulating the Internet for some years now. The reasoning behind this suggestion is without evidence and based on a flawed understanding of how and what role sweating plays in regulating our body’s physiology.
    Antiperspirants are accused of blocking the sweat ducts and thus preventing the excretion of toxins that eventually find their way into the lymph glands causing a mutation of cancer cells. This is biologically incorrect science. Toxins in the body are excreted mainly via the liver, with the kidneys and lungs also playing a part. Furthermore, the lymph glands are not connected to the sweat ducts and no toxin deposits have ever been detected in them.
    The Aluminium content of antiperspirants, along with their other chemicals, has also been charged with causing long-term harmful effects. However, such is the widespread use of antiperspirants, governments worldwide have conducted extensive research into the safety of these products and they have been declared absolutely safe.” – Odaban website

For more info:

• 28 Debbi // Apr 23, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I have been using the new Secret Clinical for a week now, with pretty good results. I have always had a perspiration problem and nothing really worked for me except Ban roll-on. Well, I got tired of waiting long periods of time for the roll-on to dry, being as I had to apply it twice in order for it to work. I tried some Gel deodorants, but they took just as long to dry, and didn’t work as well. Anyway, I did experiments with Secret Clinical under one arm, and other various anti-perspirants under the other, such as Lady Mitchum, Ban solid, Degree, and even regular Secret. Lady Mitchum came close. But, even though the Lady Mitchum had the same amount of active ingredient as Secret Clinical, and actually went on drier…I later felt sticky all day. The Secret Clinical feels as if it goes on dry, but retains a slightly moist velvety feel to me. It appears to work pretty good. I apply it at night, then again in the morning. I don’t notice any odor problem, and it is very effective with wetness. Not perfect, of course, but good. The scent is activated with perspiration all day. It’s just so nice to be able to put on this product…get dressed…and go, without having to wait for a roll-on or gel to dry!

• 29 LaTonya // Apr 28, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Apply the Antiperspirant with the highest amount of “Aluminum Chloride Hexahydrate” to your under arms at night just prior to going to bed. Make sure that you clean the area well and then make sure that it’s completely dry. Apply aluminum chloride hexahydrate, wait for a few minutes and then wrap your under arms in saran wrap and then put on a very tight fitting Tee Shirt thats tight under the arms. It’s best if you crop the Tee so that it fits tightly just below the armpits. Next morning remove, and wash the area and let it dry before getting dressed!

• 30 Christine // May 3, 2007 at 6:20 am

I agree- to make antiperspirants work their best for you: apply at night before bed; apply to a totally dry underarm; use a SOFT SOLID–no matter what brand you like, this form is the most effective. You can apply in the morning again if you want an extra boost.

Try checking out this website for more information about hyperhidrosis:

Here you can order FREE brochures and subscribe to a FREE e-newsletter.

Good Luck to you all!

• 31 Lainy // May 9, 2007 at 12:33 am

WAIT ONE DARN MINUTE!!!

Does P&G think we’re all stupid? I have a tube of Lady Speed Stick 24/7 in front of me right now with 22% Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Glycine…yes that’s TWENTY TWO PERCENT!!!

So what is so special about Secret Clinical if it only has 20% of the exact same ingredient? It has to have something to do with the instructions to apply it at night. It just HAS to! Otherwise, there is nothing special about it.

Now, I’m in Canada, and a couple of comments lead me to believe that perhaps our products contain higher percentages of AZTG, so maybe the Speed Stick in the USA is less than 20%, making the Secret stronger (thus allowing them to call it ‘Clinical Strengh’). That might also be why it doesn’t seem that I can get the sample to a Canadian address…maybe the product for the Canadian market will be different.

The Lady Speed Stick did work for a while, but that was after my Certain Dri ran out…I think the effects way outlasted the bottle. I’m going to try it at night to see if that makes a difference, but will pick up another bottle of Certain Dri (I would have by now, but not everyone carries it.)

When I first heard about Secret Clinical I figured it must have Aluminum Chloride like the Certain Dri and that it might be nice because of the skin conditioners, but I’m glad I’ve read up on it now. I’ll stay with certain dry and just get some Dove if I want skin conditioners.

• 32 megan // May 9, 2007 at 7:42 am

Lainy – Yes, in Canada products can contain a higher percentage of AZTG.

• 33 Lainy // May 10, 2007 at 12:37 am

Thanks for confirming that, Megan. I don’t know what the maximun allowable is here in Canada, but the highest I could find was 22%

Secret Platinum Clear Gel is available here in Canada with 22% AZTG, so I’ll be very interested to see what P&G comes up with for the Canadian market.

• 34 tanya // May 11, 2007 at 10:07 am

I’ve been using Secret Clinical strength for 3 nights now with not much of an improvement, and I think it may be because I actually sweat at NIGHT as well. It says to apply to dry under arma ( they are dry when i go to bed, but for one reason or another I wake up and they’re a little damp)

And wrapping my under arms in saran wrap? No thanks…The heat that would be trapped in that would cause a waterfall.

The only thing that did work for me at one point was Drysol, but after i ran out and i waited a few months to get another prescription, same thing would happen. I would wake up and feel wet and it wouldn’t work.

Odd!!

• 35 Lainy // May 11, 2007 at 4:40 pm

I decided to try my Lady Speed Stick at night, which has 22% aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex, compared to the 20% in Secret Clinical. I figured if it worked, then that would be the gimmick behind the Secret Clinical.

Well, it only made a slight difference…not enough to keep me from driving to half a dozen places today to find Certain Dri.

• 36 Amanda // May 15, 2007 at 11:11 am

I have been using Secret Clinical Strength for about 4 weeks now and I’ve noticed a great difference. I no longer “sweat like a pig” when it’s merely hot outside or if I’m doing anything strenuous.
    Other deoderants (i.e. Dove) worked somewhat with the sweating but I still had the smell issue. After a little while, I would have to keep my arms down by my side. Secret Clinical Strength has completely taken care of this problem, as well as the sweating.
    I have noticed no ill side effects from using this product. Other parts of your body sweat, and the small portion from your underarms that Secret takes care of hasn’t made a difference in how my body temperature is.
    I use it right before I go to bed, or if I forget then I use a click or two in the morning upon awakening. It hasn’t affected my showering schedule or anything. I think this is one of the best products I have ever tried. A little on the pricey side, but for me, it works GREAT! I’d reccommend it to anyone in my situation.

• 37 Shari // May 15, 2007 at 9:51 pm

I haven’t tried the Secret Clinical Strength but came to this site to see the comments. Certain Dri is not available in my area. I have tried Odaban and it really works! There is some irratation associated with this product but if you are having serious underarm sweating and staining, I found this product to work very well. It takes about 1 week to see results.

• 38 emily // May 16, 2007 at 7:09 am

i have a bad underarm sweat but i do not have any odor on the side i have used dove.ladyspeedstick.ban.regularsecret.degree
    i sweat through anything, large sweaters. if would want to wear a tshirt i would where something under it to soak up the wetness before it got to my top tshirt. i always carry an extra sweater in my bag incase if terrible wetspots. no matter what my acivity level is i am always sweating no anti-persperant will work. even with the aluminum in secret clinical strength i think i will give it a try just so i dont have to be embarassed when i go out to lunch with the girls or my boyfriend taking off my jacket and i look i just came from the pool. i dont care if it stops persperation in the under-arm the are many other places the sweat can get out and cool my body
    -just some of my opinions

• 39 stacey // May 16, 2007 at 8:03 am

Hey there. Megan, next time you’re in Vancouver, you can get Drysol by asking at the pharmacist counter (I got mine at Shopper’s Drug Mart.) Last Thursday I asked for “an extra-strenght anti-perspirant” and they gave me a teeny bottle of Drysol that costs about $30 CAD… but I haven’t had a drop of sweat since Saturday. You apply it at night on dry pits (it’s liquid) for a couple of nights. I did three nights, but I probably only needed two. Then you reapply weekly, or as needed. I haven’t been using any other “backup” product.

Holy crap, I haven’t had pits this dry for about fifteen years. My sweating is of the “excessive anti-depressant” variety, and I’d always just accepted that this is what I would have to live with for the rest of my life (including the caked-on gunk in my t-shirt armpits). I was seriously thinking of Botox for this summer, that’s how bad it was. And actually, I hadn’t even known that these products existed until I read about them here!

• 40 Crystal // May 20, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Hello all,
    I received Secret Clinical Strength almost 2 weeks ago and have used it daily. My only mistake was using it in the morning after my shower. I WILL now place it on at night however I have found that it stays on till the next day now. Even when I go to wash it off the beautiful smell is still there. The wetness has lessened howver it is not completely GONE. So I will purchase the product and use it correctly next week and report back. I’ve tried Degree, Arrid, Suave, Dove (All of them). This has been the best so far.

• 41 Helen // May 24, 2007 at 8:54 am

Drysol, is this available throughout Canada? I haven’t heard of it, but will ask at the pharmacist counter if no prescription is needed.

I saw the Secret Clinical ad on a US tv station, and have been trying to find out where to buy it ever since. The % of active ingredient did make me wonder, as I had been using Mitchum with an active ingredient > 20% (which doesn’t work half bad) up until recently when I switched to Dove (smells great, love the conditioners, but just isn’t strong enough for wetness protection!). Perhaps I will stick to Mitchum, Drysol, and Certain Dri instead – and apply them at night as recommended.

As much as I would love to use a more environmentally responsible product, and one without aluminum, my hyperhydrosis affects every facet of my life. My wardrobe consists of grey or black clothing year-round (and looks very depressing come spring time!) to hide the big sweat marks that develop as soon as I step out of the house. I’ve tried so many different antiperspirants to try and curb the problem, but nothing seems to eliminate it.

Does anyone else wonder if Secret employees are on here raving about their new product? A couple reviews have sounded eerily similar to information on the Secret website…

• 42 megan // May 24, 2007 at 9:04 am

Helen – According to the Lipgloss and Laptops Ladies you can get Certain Dri (or maybe it was Drysol, I cannot remember) by asking the pharamcist in Canada. You can get it without a prescription but for some reason it’s not stocked on the shelves.

In Canada anti-perspirants can have a higher degree of active ingredient, which is why you are finding >20% AZTG on your shelves. Here in the US 20% is as high as we can generally get. However (and I’m planning on writing about this) Secret Platinum soft solid has 19%, and I’m finding it just as effective as Clinical Strength when I follow the routine of applying it at night.

I think Clinical Strength is a very good product, but it’s too expensive for it being not that much stronger than normal offerings. The marketing hype is impressive.

• 43 Helen // May 25, 2007 at 6:32 am

Megan – thanks for the info!

This morning I picked up a stick of Ban (invisible solid), it has 24% AZTG – and is not even being marketed as “extra strength”! I found the Certain Dri on the shelf (luckily our PharmaPlus carries it), but will wait and see if the Ban does the trick.

I read the back of two antiperspirants (Dove and Ban), and neither say ANYTHING about applying the product at night. Not that I’m doubting the practice, I would just love to know how people found out about this? It’s the first I’ve ever heard of it, as everyone I know religiously applies the stuff in the morning.

• 44 megan // May 25, 2007 at 8:11 am

Helen – Canada does has different guidelines on anti-perspirant products and they are stronger off the shelf. I wonder if Secret Clinical will be offered there, and if so at what percentage? I wonder what the highest allowed in CA is?

The “apply it at night” thing is part of the instructions with the Secret Clinical, at first I thought it might be a gimmick to make it seem more serious — both Certain Dri and Drysol, which use a different active ingredient, are applied before bed. But when I did a little reading I found pointers to research on the International Hyperhydrosis Society site (here) that applying any anti-perspirant before bed makes it more effective for the 24 or so hour stretch that it stays on.

• 45 Debbie // May 30, 2007 at 11:46 am

Clinical did nothing for me after a month of using it at night and in the morning. So I have ordered Odaban from their website. I’ll report back. My problem is not only underarm sweat and odor but hand sweating too… I’m a singer and when I perform the sweat runs down my hand and onto the microphone… very embarrasing!!!
    Obadan says it will work anywhere in your body including hands, feet,face etc…. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that this is IT.

• 46 megan // May 30, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Debbie – Thanks for the report, I hope the Odaban is better for you, please do let us know if it works out!

• 47 Debbie // Jun 2, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Thanks Megan! When I receive it and use it a few days, I will let you know how it works. I’m optimistic.. and I hope that it solves my sweat problem :)

• 48 Helen // Jun 3, 2007 at 5:53 pm

If Odoban is anything like Certain Dri, you will see quick results.

After trying at least a half a dozen different antiperspirants (most recently it was Ban, at 24% AZTG, which worked for about an hour and then quit on me), I picked up Certain Dri, and two days later, it’s still working (and their claim is true, it IS still effective after bathing!)… the first product of it’s kind that’s ever had any effect. My fiance couldn’t understand why I was so giddy over it…

I highly recommend it.

• 49 Isabel // Jun 4, 2007 at 7:09 pm

I have used certain dri and loved it. It continued to work after the bottle ran out. I also tried Hydrosal Gel and it caused so much pain after only using it once. I continued to use it and it drove me to tears. I was wondering how odaban is with the pain? Does it cause any pain or is it irritating at all? I don’t mind a little rash because it’s worth it in the long run, but i won’t go through the pain again.
    Thanks

• 50 Elaine // Jun 9, 2007 at 8:21 pm

I used Certain Dri for about a month and a half and it REALLY worked but after a week or two I got a rash. It’s been two weeks now(I stopped using it) and now my rash is all over my upper body. I’ve been to the doctor but it’s only getting worse. Has anyone heard of anyone else having this problem? I’m so upset because it was really working.

• 51 Stacey // Jun 15, 2007 at 11:26 am

I want to say I am a different Stacey than the post on 5/16/07, but completely agree…Holy Crap is right I have never, ever, EVER been able to lift my arm due to sweaty armpits. In the morning my coworkers used to not look me in the eye but look at my pit stains thinking God knows what? I got a perscription from my doctor which lasts one year for Drysol. I found it’s only $1.80 on my perscription plan with my $20 copay I am still saving more than the darn (&*%$##!!) Clinical Secret I bought for $8 that does not work. Along with the XXXtra dry that has 19% al.in it. I LOVE Drysol and it can be used on other body parts, hands, feet etc.
    Without a perscription I would follow the other Stacey’s advice.
    As far as odor I still have a bit of that but I have been using some powder.I found though that some of my work shirts still have a nasty odor and pit ring of old deodorant. Any ideas on how to get that out??
    Thanks gals and guys and good luck staying DRY!

• 52 Helen // Jun 15, 2007 at 11:52 am

As far as odour goes, try using a tiny bit of antiperspirant on top of the prescription stuff.

I like the Dove because it smells great, and has moisturizers in it.

Certain Dri every 2nd night, and Dove every morning. Works wonders.

• 53 Debbie // Jun 28, 2007 at 8:21 pm

Well, I’ve been using Odaban for about a week and a half and I’m happy to report the perspiration has gone down by about 75%. I have even been using it on my hands and it’s working great there too.

I’m hoping that after about a month of using it, I will no longer be sweaty under my arms or palms.

It works better than anything I’ve ever used including Drysol and Certain Dry.

I’ll report later results.. :-)

Happy “unsweaty” camper,
    Debbie

• 54 Debbie // Jun 28, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Oh.. yeah Isabel, I forgot to mention…. Obadan has caused me no pain. I put powder on immediately after applying it and it is fine. It burns a little if I’ve shaved right before, but nothing like the way Certain Dry felt on newly shaved skin.

• 55 megan // Jun 29, 2007 at 8:50 am

Thank you Debbie!

• 56 kelci // Jul 5, 2007 at 11:44 pm

I tried Secret Clinical… it didn’t help with perspiration but it helped with odor. I’m sticking to my Certain Dri!

• 57 Tux // Jul 6, 2007 at 12:50 pm

I’m going to have to try Secret Clinical and Certain Dry. Like Helen, I wear black shirts almost all of the time, because light gray, or pink, or celery green is totally out of the question. I can perspire when I first wake up in the morning in the middle of winter. And in the summer, it’s ridiculous- I have a soccer ball sized ring under my arms. I’ll keep you posted.

• 58 kelsea // Jul 7, 2007 at 5:02 pm

i have tried secret clinical strength and it did not work any better then a regular deoderant. I cant believe i paid 7 bucks for a deoderant

• 59 Kelsey // Jul 10, 2007 at 5:38 am

I finally got myself a bottle of Certain Dri while I was at the drugstore (looking for secret clinical, actually (: ) I’ve been using it ever since, and it’s been absolutely amazing. I’m done with the uncomfortable sweat shields and embarrassing sweat rings.

In the beginning I applied once a night, then every other night, and now I’m only putting it on a couple times a month. Sure, its more expensive than other deodorants, but its use is stretched over more time. For me, it’s definitely worth it.

I’ve never really experienced the burning, in the beginning it would just itch. Considering I have very sensitive skin, I was pleasantly surprised.

When my bottle runs out, I may try Odoban.

• 60 Alexis // Jul 12, 2007 at 10:24 am

Hey, i *just bought the new Secret Clinical Strength stuff last night, so i dont even know ifit works or not. allo i know, is that i didnt sweat a bit in my pits, but only a lil bit behind my neck. That was something new. Im really really hoping this stuff is gonna work, im 14, and have to go through emarassing sweat pits and stuff. not fun!

• 61 Kassie // Jul 23, 2007 at 7:47 am

I have been using Secret Clinical for 3 months. I am 34, use to stink more than sweat, had gone to using my husbands deoderant, mens works better than what i had been using and I have tried them all, Secret Clinical has done wonders and it is a great product. Even when I take a shower in the am and apply clinical, I still get great results, and I dont worry about stinking anymore and it is hot here in Texas.

• 62 Brandee // Jul 26, 2007 at 6:24 pm

I have suffered this problem for years. I have tried all types of anti-perspirants. Years ago I began using Mitchum roll on (for ladies), it works well but periodically I find that I’ll sweat a little more. Not only do I sweat, but I smell. My doctor has prescribed aluminum chloride in the past, when I use it, it works. The problem is it really irritates my underarms.

Those that have used Certain Dri..was it too strong? Did it irritate or burn? For those that the new secret has worked for, did you have a serious problem before? I’m afraid it won’t work for me and I’ll end up embarassed. Any insite is appreciated.

• 63 Sweaty // Aug 7, 2007 at 11:39 pm

wow i would trade sweaty palms for sweaty arm pits anyday. Ya sweaty palms are really bad to grow up with, trust me I had them since i can remmber. I’m currently using Hydrosal Gel on my palms and i find that its stops to work around 3 in the afternoon. Maybe its because i only used it for 4 days but ill continue till the bottle is finished then i can see if it worked or not but if anyone else knows something better for palmar hydrosis please post!!

• 64 danielle // Aug 9, 2007 at 1:58 pm

i’m 23 and have been sweating since i was in 7th grade. i never have told anyone about my problem and found many ways to cover up my sweat stains (black shirts, loose tops, jackets, ect) 6 months ago i bought certain dri and gave it a try. i read the directions and applied it at night before going to sleep for a week straight. i would shower in the morning and apply my degree 24 and within 2 days i was wearing light grey tee shirts with no worries. it can be itchy at times after i fist apply it at nite but it’s something i have no problem with. i now use certain dri one nite a week and i’m still dry. i stand by this product b/c it has helped my life so much.

• 65 Kelly // Aug 21, 2007 at 6:49 pm

Secret Clinical Strength is a rip-off…it costs almost 8$ for a SMALL amount. It has not helped for wetness protection at all!! Everyone i talked to about it agreed with me. I’ll stick with certain dry or drysol

• 66 Laurie // Sep 28, 2007 at 8:15 am

I used Secret Clinical Strength only one time and broke out in hives over my entire body. It has been three days now and my Doctor prescribed the steriod methyprednisone and benedryl. I am so itchy and the hives are still spreading. I have never had a reaction like this to any product and would caution anyone considering this product.

• 67 lysh // Oct 9, 2007 at 4:28 pm

I have tried every over-the-counter anti-perspirant and deodorant that my drugstore and Wal-Mart have. I’ve tried applying them all at night, and none of them have worked. I even tried PerdpireX, but that burned like hell and didnt even work. Does anyone know what Secret Clinical Strength will be available in Canada?

• 68 Lainy // Oct 20, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Well, it seems Secret Clinical Strength is now available in Canada. I’m not convinced it’s worth it though.

For those of you who want to try it but have been using Certain Dri, you have to consider the long term effectivenes of the Certain Dry before determining if Secret Clinical is really working for you.

The last time I ran out of Certain Dri, it was literally months before I replaced it, during that time I used other products with the highest percentage of active ingredients I could find. They seemed to work, but eventually, and gradually, my underarm wetness got really bad again, leading me to believe that the Certain Dri really has some long term effects.

So don’t be deceived by anything new you try! Certain Dri is more expensive than regular anti-perspirants ($7.99 here in Canada) but I only need to apply it 2 – 3 times a week, so a bottle lasts me ages, making it more economical than anything else out there. I still use a ‘regular’ anti-persirant in the morning…but that’s mostly out of habit. It seems I’m not properly dressed if I don’t have a bit of powdery scented stuff under my arms!

The only reason I might be interested in Secret Clinical Strength is for the skin conditioners…but there are less expensive products on the market (Dove, for one) that will accomplish the same thing!

• 69 SweatyPitSue // Jan 4, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I developed a problem of sweaty armpits in my 20s. I am not sure if it is work stress, a weight gain, or drinking too much coffee. It is the worst in the morning. I soak through multiple shirts … it is tough to look professional with giant pit stains. It ruins clothes.

I bought Drysol and CertainDry off the internet at http://www.buydrysol.com

It is nice to purchase the products here in Canada over the internet. I have always been too embarrassed to ask a pharmacist.

Can’t wait to try it out. I really hope this works. I will keep you all posted.

• 70 Cindy // Jan 6, 2008 at 7:47 pm

I rlly love secret clinical strength its the only thing that has ever worked for me. and i just ran out! Now im back to regular secret and dove. Im not sweating as much as before and its feels great now to have to think about pit stains all the time. The only thing i was disapointed with was that its not the cheapest deoderant on the market and by applying day and night you will run out sooner that other products.

• 71 Gina // Jan 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I have tried almost all of the OTC antiperspirants (up to 20% Aluminum Zirc. Tetra.) but nothing worked for me. When my pits sweat (even in the winter time when outside temperature can get as low as -20 Celcius), I can get a shirt really wet just from wiping my pits for few hours (stopped using tissue for wiping bec. it makes so much garbage). My family doctor told me to try Drysol. I remembered how tears came from my eyes when I came across a product that actually worked for me. I have been using it for > 2 years now and applies it once or twice a month. The price is about CAN$23 but one small bottle lasted me about a year.

My sister developed the same problem and I made her try Drysol. She was extremely happy with the result.

• 72 Liz // Mar 15, 2008 at 4:27 pm

I use clinical strength and it works like a charm.
    and the best part about it is that because you sweat less, your armpit hair doesnt grow as fast.cool eh?

• 73 suzie // Apr 8, 2008 at 6:26 pm

i have used hydrosal for a month now and it worked with my sweaty pits but not the hands. unfortunately, rashes are starting to develop in my underarms and going down to my elbow and breast area… although it was a relief to have dry pits, i don’t know if the itchiness is worth it…

• 74 Alyson // Apr 28, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Hello everyone. I’m writing to you from the makers of Certain Dri, as we see this post has received numerous responses…sweating is surely a passionate topic and one we are very familiar with. We are glad many of you are having success with our product. It is dermatologist-recommended for excessive perspiration, and we get many emails about how it has changed people’s lives. To clear up the itching/stinging issue, it is advised to use Certain Dri Anti-Perspirant per the directions, which is sparingly a few times per week. It should not be applied after shaving or on irritated skin. We look forward to your continued success with our brand and please visit our site for more information (www.certaindri.com), including our newest product offerings for foot perspiration and odor – Certain Dri Feet (www.certaindrifeet.com).

• 75 nadesh // May 21, 2008 at 2:15 am

I think that Mitchum works very well. I tend to sweat and also have odour problems. I m using mitchim clear stick and it works. However, the body tends to get used to the antipers./deo and in some time it will not work. so what one can do is actually to alternate with another antip/deo so it will be less likely that the body gets used to it. and i use mitchum on very important occasions and when i ll know that i ll be tense and sweat alot. bye nadesh

• 76 Kelly // Jun 1, 2008 at 7:21 am

I have had the underarm sweating problem all my life. It is soooo embarrassing and I only wear black or white because of it. I have tried EVERYTHING that they have offered to stop it and nothing worked, including the Secret. I found my savior. It is the DOVE CLINICAL PROTECTION. It is a life savior. Now, I can wear any shirt I want and not have to worry about having a large wet mark under my underarm. Thanks Dove!!!

• 77 Shawna // Jul 3, 2008 at 11:28 pm

I bought the Secret Clinical on Monday, as it was +35 here & humid. I’ve only been using it since Tuesday night (today is night 3) & I have to say I have noticed a difference. I usually work from 7 AM to around 6 PM & by the end of the day I was avoiding people because I sure didn’t feel like my deodorant was working. I agree with the other posters that it’s got to be the night application thing. I had the 24/7 Lady Speedstick, applied in the morning, and it didn’t work as good as the Clinical. I’m going to try using the 24/7 at night when I run out of the clinical to see if I notice a difference.

As for the Drysol, you can buy it online at feelbest.com for about $20.99 cdn. I didn’t get too far into the website to see about it getting shipped to the states, Rx, etc but I remember my parents having a bottle of it in the medicine cabinet when I was a kid-my mom used it on her palms.

• 78 justine // Mar 12, 2009 at 5:39 pm

I’ve used this deorderant. and it does not work. is their anything stronger?

• 79 Vivian // Nov 5, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Lavilin is the best one out there..hands down.