useful tech stuff

Slate talks about Google Office Suite but no mention of Open Office, which I use for the very few times I need to create a document at home

use Photoshop’s background eraser tool at swissmiss

Adobe Labs color palette picker, at Craftzine

Microsoft ladies laptop totes, at Popgadget, reminds me of the interesting but ultimately boring Microsoft Lifestyle Store

to buy: Bitter Films on DVD

Fontifier, at Cool Hunting

cord identification made easy, at Popgadget, looks easy to DIY as well

how to photograph your home at Apartment Therapy LA

· comments [13] · 04-10-2007 · categories:technology ·

• 1 Dr. B. // Apr 10, 2007 at 8:45 am

Thanks for these great links! I’ve bookmarked about half of them.

There are also very styling (but pricey) laptop bags I’ve had my eye on at Lin and Leo (http://www.linandleo.com/lapbag.cfm#) for a while. No affiliation, just an admirer.

• 2 Miss Sassy // Apr 10, 2007 at 8:58 am

I wish my home were as neat and organized as the one shown on Apartment Therapy. Here’s hoping they have a room full of clutter that they keep closed when guests arrive.

• 3 Jennie // Apr 10, 2007 at 9:10 am

Bitter Films! DVD! Hoorah! Hoorah!

• 4 Patti // Apr 10, 2007 at 9:15 am

My work requires I have a pdf on one side of the screen and my indexing software on the other, so my laptop has a 17″ screen – it was HARD to find a bag for it. I finally went with Tom Bihn – they have an outlet in the SODO area.

• 5 Chelsea // Apr 10, 2007 at 9:58 am

I remember watching Bitter Films stuff in college, but I never knew where it was from. Thanks!

• 6 Carrie // Apr 10, 2007 at 12:15 pm

The laptop tote that I got for free through work is almost more exciting than those Microsoft bags :) At least it has a bright green interior!

• 7 Rebecca // Apr 10, 2007 at 1:00 pm

I love the cord identification though I do think I will stick with my labelmaking ways for now.

• 8 janet // Apr 10, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the link about the eraser tool. I never knew it could do this. I need to check out the rest of those tools that are in the back of the default ones to see what they will do. Thanks. This will be a time saver!!!

• 9 Devon // Apr 10, 2007 at 3:55 pm

I love Open Office. I haven’t used Windows at home for almost 6 years. It feels great. I love your site!!

• 10 Lisa K // Apr 11, 2007 at 4:01 am

Y’all, what’s the deal with laptop totes marketed to women? How come they have nasty, skinny little straps that dig painfully into your shoulders on the shortest trip to the coffee shop or across campus? Shall I pose the age-old question: are good looks AND comfort too much to ask for at once??

• 11 Aran // Apr 11, 2007 at 7:22 am

Open Office is great. I’ve been using it for a long time too, and it keeps getting better every year.

• 12 Miss Sassy // Apr 11, 2007 at 7:30 am

Saw you are watching Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth. AWESOME! I own it and just watched it again over Christmas. On a snowy, spring day, it sounds like it is worth watching again today.

• 13 Vincci // Apr 11, 2007 at 4:37 pm

Ugh! I downloaded Open Office once and just couldn’t navigate it (too much Microsoft Office for me, I guess). I’m glad someone out there’s taking advantage of it though!