lookie

My homemade sun jar made it into the latest ReadyMade magazine, issue 28. It looks pretty and glowy in the magazine, giving no hint of it’s freezing cold origins. The sun jars we made that you see on my page had all been given away as gifts when ReadyMade contacted me. In order to get a jar to them in time to have it photographed I found myself standing in the snow on my back deck spray painting and hoping that it wouldn’t start snowing again. Luckily, everything worked out.

· comments [17] · 04-6-2007 · categories:craft ·

• 1 karen // Apr 6, 2007 at 8:04 am

Hi Megan,
    You and your sun jar tutorial got a mention here too:

kudos!

• 2 Erica // Apr 6, 2007 at 8:19 am

I just got this issue of ReadyMade and saw your fabulous jars. Congratulations! I am totally going to try to make some of these this year.

• 3 Carrie // Apr 6, 2007 at 8:55 am

I never noticed these on here before, and I think they’re brilliant! We were just looking at solar powered lights last weekend for our back deck/yard that lacks lighting and electrical outlets, but my husband worried that they wouldn’t get powered b/c our yard’s very shady. This solves that problem! And is portable. Woohoo!

Oooh, I can’t wait to make these now…

• 4 anne // Apr 6, 2007 at 9:06 am

What’s funny about this sun jar, is that the current-ish issue of Outside magazine (with the Governator on the cover) has a pick of an almost identical jar, but made by a designer-type, so has designer-type prices attached. Sorry I don’t have a scan, but I’ll try to send one to you this weekend. I was really struck by how similar the two were in design. Of course, ReadyMade’s is cheaper. and DIY. :)

BTW: You linked a few weeks ago to this, but the crafter who got the ApartmenttherapyLA’s pick (then yours) has more Firefly jars for sale. I got one, and it’s amazing!

• 5 megan // Apr 6, 2007 at 9:25 am

The page on how to make these links to the original Sun Jar designed by Tobias Wong. I do not doubt that the original jar is brighter, lasts longer, and nicer looking than the DIY version.

Carrie – Be aware these jars aren’t all that bright, it’s more of a decoration than a functional source of light.

• 6 Chelsea // Apr 6, 2007 at 10:20 am

My BF works at Lowe’s so I may be able to get some slightly cheaper lights to make my own! I would love one or two in the living room. By the way, your sidebar kindly introduced me to Terry Pratchett. I am a fan of children’s fantasy and am now reading The Wee Free Men. Thanks!

• 7 notsocrafty.com // Apr 6, 2007 at 1:13 pm

Congratulations that’s great!

• 8 Melinda // Apr 6, 2007 at 1:15 pm

How cool! I want to try this…

• 9 Wendy Dorrel // Apr 6, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Wonderful!! Congrats. :)

• 10 McAuliflower // Apr 6, 2007 at 4:44 pm

yea! Glad they got you in print!

• 11 Miss Sassy // Apr 6, 2007 at 6:55 pm

You rule! I really loved your tutorial on this.

• 12 apachet828 // Apr 6, 2007 at 8:04 pm

I just got this issue the other day and saw these! I really love your site and read it often!

• 13 Carrie // Apr 7, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Thanks – Good to know. Still, it may be better than sitting outside by candlelight, as my lazy ass did last summer…

• 14 artindulgence // Apr 7, 2007 at 5:24 pm

I just showed those to my husband over breakfast! We’re totally going to make them! You rock!

• 15 Shelley Noble // Apr 8, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Kewl! I didn’t know that was you!

• 16 Farah // Apr 11, 2007 at 11:30 am

Ok, first of all – these jars are adorable! I have found all the necessary supplies except the jar. We don’t have an IKEA store here in Greenville, SC. Have you found or heard of any other jars that work just as well? I bought everything in hopes of making a few lights for my mom’s birthday this weekend. I thought for sure I’d find something that would work at the craft store. AC Moore had the perfect design jars – just not in the right size. Arg! I really want to make these cute jars. Thanks for your help!

• 17 megan // Apr 11, 2007 at 12:37 pm

Farah – I’ve seen similar jars at Fred Meyer, in the section with kitchen food storage. You might be able to find jars with large enough openings at Target, perhaps.