seattle related

Seattle has a store for frozen dinners made from locally sourced foods – Eat Local. I’m looking forward to trying some of these out since my energy for cooking has been relegated to the weekends lately.

Ask Metafilter – What are the little gems of Seattle?

Waking Up On the Wrong Side Of the Country asks: Why are potato wedges called Jo-jos here? I encountered Jo-jos for the first time last week and am wondering this myself.

Links for keeping up with the Mount Rainier park restoration at GirlHacker.

Seattlest declares that the Spacecraft graffiti has jumped the shark. During the first year we lived here I spotted these off of I-5. It was all over a door that leads to a utility shed in the median, and the stencil was done over and over in a metallic paint. The first glimpse I had created the effect that it was a grandly carved gilt door (it made me think of cathedral doors) right there in the middle of urban nowhere. It was neat for the moment, like a stage craft effect.

· comments [9] · 04-4-2007 · categories:seattle ·

• 1 Jackie // Apr 4, 2007 at 9:42 am

There was this place by my house growing up that called wedge fries “Jo-Jo Potatoes”. I think it’s a brand, actually.

That place has long since closed down. I haven’t heard them called that in more than 20 years.

• 2 Kim // Apr 4, 2007 at 10:19 am

Another good Seattle tip is the new fabric store in Ballard just west of Archie McPhee’s. It’s called the Quilting Loft and if you’re driving towards the Locks it’s on the left. They have some great fabrics and they’re still growing. Definitely worth a look. :)

• 3 Happy Zombie // Apr 4, 2007 at 11:27 am

That is too funny about the jojos. I TOO have wondered about this unique name for a steak fry and no one up here seems to know the origin of it’s name. I’m a Californian (shhhhh) now living in Astoria, Oregon. I had never heard potato wedges (or streak fries) called jojos until I moved up here. I think it’s odd, but if I’m going stay stealth… I must conform.

• 4 Mat // Apr 4, 2007 at 3:12 pm

I post this on your referenced link too, but here is a replacement for Jo Jo’s if you’re looking for something a little more racist :)

I felt conflicted eating them being part Irish and all…

(Oh and a Jo-Jo’s are the best :) )

• 5 Kelly // Apr 4, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Hey, you’ve been in Seattle a lot longer than me and you’ve just seen them? It feels like they are everywhere! Even our corner market calls them that. It’s apparently not contained to the Northwest, but the South has them too. Now I am really curious who this Jo-Jo is and why he got a potato-style named after him…

• 6 k a t // Apr 4, 2007 at 6:17 pm

When you try Eat Local I recommend picking up the cheesy greens. Yummy!

Tell Eric, Kat the yarn girl, sent you. (We’re enjoying having them right around the corner from Hilltop Yarn.)

• 7 Josie // Apr 5, 2007 at 10:57 am

If you go to Eat Local, can you give us a report? Looks great! I’m moving to Seattle in August and your site always makes me itchy to get there.

• 8 marielle // Apr 5, 2007 at 6:14 pm

What’s really weird is that, after living my entire life in Seattle and California, I have never, until this moment, encountered the term “jojo potato.”

But I do recall the old Shakey’s chain selling something called “mojo potatoes.”

• 9 fillyjonk // Apr 6, 2007 at 5:27 am

I grew up in Ohio, and on the school lunch menus, those wedge fries were always called Jo Jo Potatoes.

It’s possible it was once a more widespread thing (I grew up in the 70s). I suppose it’s also possible the school lunch cook originally came from the Seattle area.

I had not thought of the term “jo jo potatoes” for years! (Sometimes it was printed as Ho Jo Potatoes…maybe it was originally a dish served by Howard Johnson’s?)