for the home

Home-made detergent at Modern Cottage

Dyson slim, at Uncrate. Oh Dyson, if only you had retracting cords.

Pro Ven Di soap hooks, interesting, at Apartment Therapy.

Resevoir wicking pots at Cool Tools. Not as pretty as the Eva Solo Self-watering pots, but cheaper.

The Overboard, a large cutting board, at Uncrate.

Sporadic wall panel for wine, on AT. I hope it’s still around when I’ve saved enough to buy it.

Coat Check, I forget where I found this – Design*Sponge?

Reel mowers at Smallist.

Nice wall mounted magnetic knife rack on Instructables.

Gardenseed Matchbooks at Shelterrific. I see housewarming presents.

Framed frosted glass dry erase board at Uncrate.

I love top-down window coverings. I think they should be standard in all places, especially that one office building I worked in back when we lived in San Francisco. Anyhow, this person asks about top-down roller shades over at Apartment Therapy, and while I’m pretty sure there isn’t such a thing, the comment by Pilgrim is interesting. They used two Ikea shades to create their own top-down solution. I have more to say about window shades and my recent foray into buying some, but that will come in a little bit.

· comments [10] · 03-29-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 rose // Mar 29, 2007 at 8:56 am

I’ve tried this with Zote laundry soap bar instead of the Fals Naptha (found it for a dollar at the dollar store) and liked it. Gave some to my neighbor to try and she loved it too.

• 2 becky // Mar 29, 2007 at 10:21 am

That frosted glass “white board” looks like something you could make up pretty easily at home. I’d try to find tempered glass or use very very strong fasteners.

Thanks for that knifeblock link. It’s pretty awesome. My knifeblock always falls over when I take knives out.

• 3 Mike // Mar 29, 2007 at 11:05 am

I really like the overboard and want to get one after I move into a new place.

I bought a wall mounted magnet for my knives at target- it’s a bit smaller but works really well. I’ll have to get one for my new place as well since I’ll probably just leave this one here.

• 4 Beth // Mar 29, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Try Urban Outfitters for the tree coat rack… Although I think I saw it on Design*Sponge too.

• 5 Meegan // Mar 29, 2007 at 1:54 pm

I was going to go ahead and order an Overboard, but then got to the checkout and the shipping cost came out to $26.87-more than half the cost of the board itself. I wonder if there’s another way to get a hold of one of these.

• 6 Miss Sassy // Mar 29, 2007 at 5:31 pm

I make a similar laundry detergent but use boiling water on the grated soap and then add the washing soda and borax so it is a gel laundry soap. I use 1/2 Fels Naptha and 1/2 Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap bar, too. I also do the vinegar rinse. My clothes smell great as I add Lavender Essential oil to it. You don’t smell the vinegar at all.

I love that whiteboard! Really neat!

• 7 Ty // Mar 30, 2007 at 5:50 am

I have a reel mower! Came with my house! :) The previous owners asked if I would like it, and since it is a zero-lotline house (meaning very small yard), I said sure! It’s great except when, as the commentors said in that link, the grass is too long. Or if you run over a stick. The stick gets stuck and jars you to a stop. But it’s sort of fun to use just because you know it’s so eco and noise friendly.

• 8 Alison // Mar 30, 2007 at 8:50 am

I have a wall-mounted magnetic knife rack that I found at a kitchen store. It fits a ton more knives than that one and I love it. People comment on it all the time, so I think it’s the kind of thing that makes a great housewarming gift for someone who spends time in the kitchen.

• 9 funessa // Apr 2, 2007 at 9:29 am

You could totally make that wine rack!!!

• 10 Valerie // Apr 2, 2007 at 6:32 pm

I tore that “Overboard” picture out of a Pottery Barn catalog a few months ago because I was sure I could do it myself with a plain picture frame and some Armor Etch. Assuming it works, I would guess a regular dry-erase marker wouldn’t be the best choice … I thought maybe a regular washable marker, but I’m not sure …??