food stuff

a bit late for St. Patrick’s Day on my part:

fried cabbage and potato cakes at The Kitchen

blasphemous (soda) bread at Smitten Kitchen

traditional Irish soda bread at Bakingsheet

a little early for Easter:

making your own peeps at Chow

drinks:

wine in juice boxes at Serious Eats (cute though, right?) and pre-filled and sealed (think bubble tea) plastic wine glasses at Chow

savory:

broccoli rabe dumplings at Sunday Undies

rolls of delight, part II at Pip In the City

Marcella Hazen’s Bolognese Sauce, recommended by Michelle (thanks Michelle!)

sweet:

the best chocolate cake, expletive-free at Smitten Kitchen

strawberry lime stuffed cupcakes at 52 Cupcakes – I’d want to serve these already cut in half

sugar ants, with detailed pictures of doing some awfully tiny piping, via Boing Boing

· comments [11] · 03-28-2007 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 Miss Sassy // Mar 28, 2007 at 10:00 am

Hey, Megan – I made Irish Soda Bread for St Pats and it was delicious. No frou-frou ingredients – it was from an Irish cookbook. The recipe I used and a picture are here:

Wow – those cupcakes are huge! Did you ever buy the large Wilton muffin pan?

Thanks again for the fun links!

Sarah

• 2 Minna // Mar 28, 2007 at 1:11 pm

I loved Irish soda bread when I last ate it, in Ireland, but I’ve never tried making it (I’d like to, though). Is it complicated to make?

• 3 Miss Sassy // Mar 28, 2007 at 3:21 pm

Minna – it was very easy to make the Irish Soda Bread with the recipe I had. The only tricky part is not over mixing and not using too much buttermilk. Your hands get pretty sticky, too!

• 4 *Terramia* // Mar 28, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Wow.. thanks for the yummy linkages!

• 5 Molly // Mar 29, 2007 at 4:54 am

Since you were speaking of wine juice boxes have you seen these? http://www.sofiamini.com/site.php

The cans are so tiny and the attached straw is telescoping. The champagne ain’t so bad either!

• 6 Erica // Mar 29, 2007 at 2:59 pm

ooh! I love those sugar ants!

• 7 mar // Mar 29, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Soda bread – yum! As long as you realize that yes, the dough is really supposed to be that sticky, you’ll be fine! It freezes great too – I slice it first, then freeze it, and then we can take out a slice or 2 as we want it!

Pretty cupcakes – oh, unrelated, but did you see the origami wantons?
    Very cute!

• 8 crystal // Mar 29, 2007 at 7:31 pm

i made that soda bread from smitten kitchen’s site for st. pat’s day and it has made me irresistibly popular :)

• 9 claudine // Mar 30, 2007 at 12:12 pm

my sister-in-law told me abomut the modified Irish Soda Bread recipe in the NY Times. I made it for St. Paddy’s Day this year, and served it w/Cashel (an Irish blue cheese) and aged Irish cheddar and Pippin apples.

It was gone in a matter of minutes. A total crowd pleaser. I used a cup of currants than 1 1/2 cups, and it could’ve had even a little less.

• 10 network » food stuff // Apr 1, 2007 at 12:19 pm

[...] unknown wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerpta bit late for St. Patrick’s Day on my part: fried cabbage and potato cakes at The Kitchen blasphemous (soda) bread at Smitten Kitchen traditional Irish soda bread at Bakingsheet a little early for Easter: making your own peeps at Chow … [...]

• 11 Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories // Apr 4, 2007 at 12:57 am

Saffron Meringue Chicks…

Marshmallow Peeps have an amazing cult following, and it’s no wonder why: they are cute, abstract, colorful, ubiquitous, and sugary….