simple lighting solutions

We’re starting to plan some lighting in our house and when I ran across this plug to socket cord at Ikea the other day I started wondering how we could use it. It seems to breathtakingly useful for those who rent and don’t plan on staying so long. It immediately makes me of the suspended mirrored bulbs in the first issue of Budget Living, and this cluster of bulbs (your may need to scroll a wee bit) that Evany snapped (made by a tall, blond, gorgeous Megan so obviously it’s not me).

Recently Apartment Therapy showed off this neat light socket adaptor that will allow you to plug a lamp to an exisiting socket, they use the Ikea Knappa lamp as an example.

· comments [14] · 03-26-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Kelly // Mar 26, 2007 at 10:48 am

Thanks for the mention! I am a long time notmartha reader and love your site. I recently moved to Seattle and regularly check out your archives to help us adjust and find new things to check out.

If you need any tips for installing your light, let me know. I’ve done it in several apartments now, so I’m sort of an old hat at making it work. :)

Thanks again!

• 2 Me // Mar 26, 2007 at 10:55 am

Although I love Ikea, the light socket adaptor is available at your local hardware store. They are often found in large bins around Christmas because this is an inexpensive solution to get AC outside for Christmas lights.

• 3 Rebecca Beagle // Mar 26, 2007 at 11:00 am

Not exactly seasonal, but… the socket-to-plug adaptors are great for outdoor Christmas lights. Just replace a flood light with an adaptor, plug the Christmas lights in, and never again have to run out in the cold to plug in or unplug the lights. A must if you don’t even have outdoor outlets, like me.

• 4 Heather // Mar 26, 2007 at 11:31 am

I can’t help but think that plug-in socket would be great for something like Brandy’s awesome wall art.

• 5 Hellen // Mar 26, 2007 at 3:00 pm

I really enjoy reading your blog. You always have great ideas and content. I always love reading how to make stuff.

• 6 Michelle // Mar 26, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Is this an appropriate place to comment on what you’re up to over on the right, specifically bolognese sauce? While I worship Mark Bittman (I have a batch of no-knead bread dough on my counter right now), his bolognese isn’t quite as good as Marcella Hazan’s (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2002983420_bolognese10.html). Just had some for dinner tonight in fact, leftover sauce from the freezer. Since I’ve been making Marcella’s bolognese sauce I haven’t even tried any other recipe.

Oh, and I love your blog! I stumbled upon it a few months ago when I googled for knitting patterns for hats and found your funny hat. I made tons of them this winter for my nieces and nephews. I love that tubular cast on. Thanks!

• 7 Kate // Mar 26, 2007 at 5:41 pm

I used one of those adaptors (from the hardware store) to replace a godawful overhead light with a chinese lantern in my first NYC apartment. I also got the guys at the hardware store to make me a cord for the lamp the length I wanted, since otherwise I’d have a lot coiled up extension cord hanging there. They can cut a few inches or a foot of cord, or whatever you need, and then wire the plugs onto it.

• 8 Anna // Mar 26, 2007 at 6:15 pm

not on this topic, but i found a great amount of sucrose coke-a-cola at my nearby target. they only had 2 liter bottles but it seemed all of them were sugar-filled :)
    found them in Paramus, NJ

• 9 megan // Mar 26, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Anna – Did the bottles have yellow caps? If so they might be the annual run of Kosher Coca-cola.

• 10 Laura GF // Mar 26, 2007 at 6:38 pm

Wouldn’t those plug to socket things be useful to help install this light?

I love it so much.

• 11 Austin // Mar 27, 2007 at 8:22 am

Laura,
    The tord lamp you linked to doesn’t come with the cord and socket. If you got a cord that plugs into a standard, non-grounded socket, then you could easily use the socket adapter that was mentioned earlier.

• 12 Andy Baird // Mar 28, 2007 at 9:48 am

Just a note of caution: with the lamp-socket-to-wall-socket adapter pictured at left, the entire weight of your light fixture will be hanging from the two little prongs of the power plug–nothing but friction keeping it there. With a super-lightweight paper lamp you can probably get away with this, but trying to do it with a brass ‘n’ glass fixture is asking for trouble. And it goes without saying that anything with a pull-cord switch is out of the question–you’d pull the whole thing down before long, because the AC plug will pop right out of the adapter’s socket if you tug on it.

• 13 McAuliflower // Apr 6, 2007 at 4:49 pm

With a move looming in my future- this helps out with the first of my “New Place Rules”:
    1) don’t put up with ugly lights

excellent find

btw: Certain Dri kicked ass on my Hawaii vacation. I have honestly always been a *sweaty* girl till now!

• 14 megan // Apr 6, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Ooh ooh, keep tuned in, at the end of this month I hope to have a good lighting source. I’m waiting to receive my lamp before I recommend it though.