truly, deeply fried

Trial by Fryer, wherein George Duran deep fries stuff. The eggs look ok, but the gummy worms? Yikes. via The Food Section.

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, wherein an intern at The Stranger deep fries cheese filled hot dogs that have been wrapped in bacon.

· comments [8] · 03-20-2007 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Jason Truesdell // Mar 20, 2007 at 9:51 am

I was truly impressed by “tamago-tempura” (egg tempura) I tried at some izakaya in Tokyo… I don’t know how they pulled it off; the centers were still soft, the whites had a pleasant texture and the outside was crisp and light with no signs of mini-explosions.

Here in Seattle, I’d have to experiment on my own, since it’s not one of those items you could just ask for a chef to improvise… even with my sturdy deep fryer it seems like doing an egg tempura would be tempting fate. But maybe it’s safer and easier than it would seem?

• 2 Wendy Dorrel // Mar 20, 2007 at 11:01 am

I can’t decide if the hotdogs are too gross to even contemplate or if I want to run to the store and pick up the necessary ingredients. Must know!

Good stuff! :)

• 3 Miss Sassy // Mar 20, 2007 at 1:57 pm

The Wisconsin State Fair sells deep fried cheese curds every August. I always wonder how many heart attacks are caused by them. I didn’t think it could get much worse until I saw you mention the deep-fried cheese hotdogs. Yikes!

• 4 Erin // Mar 20, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Even better: split a hot dog almost in half lengthwise so that it forms a V (like a hot dog bun.) Fill the V with chunky peanut butter. Wrap the whole thing with a strip of bacon. Make more. Pop them into the oven until the bacon is crisp and browned to your taste. Enjoy until you keel over.

• 5 girlrobot // Mar 20, 2007 at 3:07 pm

i tried the deep fried twinkie once at home and i was pretty disgusted…i love fried food though but this was too much!

• 6 Abby // Mar 20, 2007 at 4:30 pm

I can’t do it. I just can’t read it all. I mean, I’m Southern, and I like deep-fried candy bars. But gummy worms? And CHEESE FROM A CAN?

Egads.

I just can’t read it to the end!

• 7 Jennifer // Mar 22, 2007 at 9:55 am

Sounds interesting. I love deep fried anything! However, it’s definitely not on my diet!

Strangely enough, I liked Erin’s idea of a hot dog stuffed with peanut butter wrapped in bacon. However, it sounds like pregnant-lady food :-P

• 8 Cinnamon // Mar 25, 2007 at 7:35 pm

This hot-dog-concoction of which you speak is available on many, if not most, diner menus in the Chicago area. We like to call it a Francheezie. I had one once. It wasn’t bad. But I felt my chest seize after eating it and all my french fries, so never again.