tapestry

I’m considering getting the Marimekko Hetkia wall hanging from CB2 for my house, and I have a quesiton about the hanging system that CB2 carries. I’d be putting the hanging in a spot at the top of the stairs which we walk by many times a day and I wonder if the hanging system would be heavy enough to keep it from blowing out from the wall and banging back as we sweep past, I can see that would drive me a bit crazy. The hanging rails that CB2 sells look like the kind used for retail display and are fairly inexpensive. The other option I can find at around 60″ wide is the Posterhanger. Does anybody happen to know if one of these would provide more weight and stability than the other?

I’m pleased that there are a few wide hanging options these days as I find myself wanting to simply hang fabric panels as art. The Posterhanger also comes in a 50″ width which would work for the standard 45″ wide fabric. To note: the Posterhanger is the system that Textile Arts sells to hang fabric panels.

· comments [12] · 03-13-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 anh-minh // Mar 13, 2007 at 11:59 am

I hung a poster in my office using the Posterhanger system. It is pretty lightweight, but I think simply walking past it won’t be a problem. (If you have a window open near it, that might be.) And if you find that it is moving, maybe you could weigh down the tube a little more by putting something heavier inside of it?

• 2 Erin // Mar 13, 2007 at 1:03 pm

If you’re looking for something more stable, I definitely recommend looking at the following website — http://www.hangups.com/SigntrakSystems.html

I have used the same company for a gallery art system in my house and can only say positive things about the buying experience and the product line. Just a suggestion …

• 3 megan // Mar 13, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Thanks Erin and Anh-minh!

• 4 megan // Mar 13, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Hm, looking again at the Posterhanger I don’t think it would work all that well for fabric. There are plastic clips that grab the top and bottom of the fabric panel at either end and the middle, I bet that would create some wrinkles since it isn’t a constant tension across the entire widthd.

• 5 Andrea Katz // Mar 13, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Might be worth checking out “reFRAME”:http://www.54dean.com/Product/reframe.html on 54Dean.com. The trim pieces are a nice weight.

• 6 Andrea Katz // Mar 13, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Just worth a mention that reFRAME uses magnents to secure the print/fabric so maybe it wouldn’t pucker or pull like Megan mentioned above.

• 7 splatgirl // Mar 13, 2007 at 6:55 pm

I was just going to say that… I don’t think the posterhanger would work all that well for fabric without a little messing around. I think you’d need to figure out a way to stiffen the edge enough to make the clips put-onable, and that you’d need to glue them on or something to make them stay.
    I hung the vinyl panels in my bathroom using posterhanger, and I ended up having to silicone the clips to the vinly because they kept sliding off and the whole thing would fall apart.
    FYI, you could very easily trim the aluminium rail part of the posterhanger to whatever exact length you need with hacksaw.
    I totally HEART that marimekko panel. I was thinking I needed one myself.

• 8 megan // Mar 13, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Andrea and splatgirl. If I get it I’ll buy the hanger that CB2 offers and report back on it.

• 9 Leslie // Mar 15, 2007 at 10:22 am

I used Posterhanger to hang an Etsuko Echino panel of fabric and you’re right, the plastic clips don’t create an even tension. It’s not bad but you’re better off using something the CB2 hanger or maybe the ReFRAME to hang fabric.

• 10 megan // Mar 15, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Thank you Leslie!

• 11 julie // Mar 16, 2007 at 4:05 pm

I used Kvartal from ikea for a whopping 5 bucks and change. It’s only about 23″ wide so I hung two panels of Amy Butler fabric next to each other. If you are really interested, I’ll send you a photo.

• 12 Ysha // Mar 18, 2007 at 6:10 am

We’ve got a rather large piece of fabric hanging in our foyer. My pop just used a couple of small pieces of wood to hang it – maybe 3/4″ x 1/4″?

We looped the fabric around the wood and sewed a quick rod pocket on each end. The top piece of wood is maybe 2-3 inches longer than the width or the fabric. Then he mounted the wood directly into the wall with small nails. On the bottom, he put a couple of nails through the fabric then mum made a trim for the bottom of the piece which covers the nails. The whole thing looks very nice and was super cheap to do.

That’s just a thought for you.