strong, like woman

This is a follow-up to some previous talk about prescription strength deodorants, Secret is releasing something called Clinical Strength (non-prescription). You can get a free sample if you take a quiz and give up your address and some personal information. update: But apparently, only if you answer the questions a certain way, see the comments on this post. Apparently Secret Clinical Strength will be a bit more expensive than regular deodorants, so one of the quiz questions has to do with whether you’re a cheapskate or not.

· comments [103] · 03-13-2007 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 Heather // Mar 13, 2007 at 7:33 am

I’ve been using Certain Dri for a couple of weeks now. It’s still hard to remember to put it on at night, I’ve had to take a lot of epsom soaks for my sore muscles lately which means I CAN’T put it on right after, and it’s difficult to tell how much is enough (since it’s the viscosity of water). I do think it’s helping, though. At the end of the day, I’m not stinking like I used to. I certainly didn’t experience an increase in face-sweat like that one lady on drugstore.com, though. If anything, I’m kind of underwhelmed by it. See also: no stinging.

It’ll be interesting to try this Clinical Strength stuff. God, I love that you’re as concerned with pit sweat as I am.

• 2 Lindsay // Mar 13, 2007 at 7:46 am

it looks like they just send you a coupon?

“You take your anti-perspirant protection seriously and Secret wants to make sure you’re covered. Here’s a coupon for Secret Clinical Strength. But first, please fill out some information so that we can send your coupon to you.”

• 3 lia // Mar 13, 2007 at 7:57 am

Secret’s not offering a free sample, just a coupon—I’m not giving them my mailing address for that! I’ll be interested in seeing how the product gets reviewed once it comes out. I’ve been using Certain Dri too, my experience is much like Heather’s: it keeps me from sweating, no side effects, and no stinging apart from the first two or three times I used it.

• 4 Heather // Mar 13, 2007 at 8:11 am

Also, are you making a “strong like bull” joke in your entry title? Because, if so: \m/

• 5 megan // Mar 13, 2007 at 8:38 am

Heather – I am making a strong like bull joke, thanks for noticing.

Lindsay, oh my gosh, the wording on that thing was completely different last night. I entered my address (things like this are the reason I’m glad I have a PO box) only because of the free sample. I’ll up date the entry.

Though upon closer inspection the Secret Clinical Strength contains “aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex at 20% anydrous”. I have a bottle of Mitchum roll on that I bought in Canada that has 24%, and I’ve bought anti-perspirants here in the US that have at least 20%. Mitchum for Women gel has “Aluminum Zirconium Tetra Chlorohydrex Gly (20.0%)”. So, unless those “odor fighting capsules” in the Secret Clinical Strength are awesome, this might just be another deodorant. Still, worth giving a try.

Oh look, Secret Clinical Strength is meant to be applied at night, and supposedly won’t wash off in the morning shower. There is talk of “plugs”. Yikes. You can reapply in the morning though. I have to wonder if the apply at night stuff is BS.

I have not tried Certain Dri yet, I’m to chicken to prep myself for the stinging.

• 6 Heather // Mar 13, 2007 at 8:51 am

Seriously, Megan. I haven’t had a hint of stinging. It…it was kind of disappointing, actually. I was all prepared for the apocalypse and then it was like I’d just rolled some water on my pits.

• 7 jenn // Mar 13, 2007 at 8:54 am

I ran across this stuff at my local drugstore yesterday. It came in two scents and cost $9.99 in Philadelphia. Not overly expensive but I’ll wait to hear what someone else says before going out and buying some.

• 8 megan // Mar 13, 2007 at 8:58 am

Ok, I believe you. I’ll give it a try while I’m in a testing anti-perspirants phase.

And Heather, I’m still waiting for that report on which curling styling products you prefer

• 9 Melissa // Mar 13, 2007 at 9:18 am

I read your earlier posts on anti-perspirants, and have been trying Certain Dri for a few weeks now. I had never heard of it before, but there it was on the shelf at Long’s.

It has not stung at all, and seems to be working well. I also picked up the a.m. version because it feels weird to me not to put anything on in the morning.

So far the hardest thing is remembering to do it at night. I’m not having any trouble with it on my shirts, though I am waiting longer to put my shirt on after applying it.

• 10 Susan // Mar 13, 2007 at 9:30 am

Whether they send you a coupon or a free sample must depend on how you answer the survey because I got the free sample. I answered that I use secret, am extra stinky and money is no object. :)

• 11 megan // Mar 13, 2007 at 9:39 am

Susan – fascinating!

• 12 lia // Mar 13, 2007 at 10:03 am

It totally depends on how you answer it! I went through it again and answered it how it would’ve gone last year and got this message:

“Hey big spender. Your anti-perspirant protection is top priority and Secret Clinical Strength wants to make sure you get what you pay for. So try a free sample on us.”

• 13 ben compton // Mar 13, 2007 at 10:26 am

I love that it’s called “Clinical Strength,” like there’s a clinic where (by appointment only, natch) women can show up and have their underarms treated for stinkiness, called something like “Pine Bluff Research Centre.”

• 14 Marjorie // Mar 13, 2007 at 11:38 am

I personally don’t use deodorant or anti-perspirant of any kind. I used that stuff that is shaped like a rock (mineral salts, I think) up to about a year ago and stopped. I figured my money could be better spent elsewhere and it seemed kind of silly to me to try and smell like powdery, fluff and stuff….I dunno….maybe I am a little French when it comes to that kind of thing. I prefer au naturale and my husband doesn’t seem to mind….or does he??? Oh geez, I guess I better ask ; )

• 15 Mindy // Mar 13, 2007 at 12:10 pm

The comments are just as good as the post!!

It is running about $10.00 here.

• 16 Penny // Mar 13, 2007 at 12:41 pm

I don’t think this is meant for the general population, but for those with hyperhidrosis. If you have it, and have found a something that works, you know it is life changing. That sounds silly, I know, but try living life with wet underarms even when you aren’t nervous.

I use Maxim anti-perspirant, available from stopsweat.com. It is also applied at night so I don’t believe the Secret Clinical strength being applied at night is some sort of gimmick. I am looking forward to giving Secret Clinical Strength a try. I picked up a bottle, but will not try it until my Maxim is gone.

FYI: Maxim does burn when you begin to use it or apply too much.

• 17 megan // Mar 13, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Thanks Penny, I know next to nothing about hyperhidrosis, here’s to hoping this stuff works for you. If I actually receive a sample I’ll be sure to report back.

• 18 Jill // Mar 13, 2007 at 1:40 pm

I’ve been using this stuff for about 3 weeks. It works really well for me. I do forget to put it on at night sometimes but other than that I love it.

• 19 Emily // Mar 13, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Not to scare anyone off, since Certain Dri has definitely saved me lot of social embarrassment, but I experience stinging even 3 or 4 years into using CD. It will start burning and itching like crazy if I’ve showered later in the day, and sometimes for unknown reasons. That happens pretty infrequently and lasts maybe a half hour or so. Still, the product is amazing, and after a few months I started using it only once or twice a week and no. sweaty. pits. I feel sorry for people who have to remember to put deodorant on in the morning now.

• 20 funessa // Mar 13, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Emily – I too experienced the itchiness! I used CertainDri for about 6 months a couple of years ago, and I would always wash my underarms right before applying it, to make sure it really worked. Maybe that explains the stinging and itchiness! I dealt with really sweaty underarms, though, so at this point, I was willing to suffer, if it meant some relief the next day. I don’t use it anymore, but I *have* noticed a decrease in the amount of perspiration overall! And now I just use deodorant, not anti-perspirant. It has been a lifesaver.

Megan, if you’re interested in CertainDri, I would certainly give it a try. I wish I had found (and used) this product earlier.

• 21 McAuliflower // Mar 13, 2007 at 4:35 pm

Wow- this is great info. Sorry I don’t have anything informative to add, just a thanks to all for sharing!

I work with tropical fish in an environment that keeps the temperature at 90F + high humidity year round. And I was a heavy sweat-er before that. I’m going to make the drug store one of my next errands.

• 22 marielle // Mar 13, 2007 at 5:18 pm

Okay, fellow sweat-ers – I have to weigh in on the Certain Dri issue. I simply cannot speak highly enough of the stuff – it does its job and does it well.

I’ve been using the stuff for about two years now. I don’t bother to put it on at night – I apply it before getting dressed in the morning, and only when I’ll be wearing a black t-shirt (which is often). It does bleach lighter fabrics, but black seems impervious to this.

After the first couple of weeks, you don’t need to use it every day – I use it maybe twice a week, max.

The only time I had stinging issues is when I applied it immediately after shaving – I know, bad idea – and before I realized it doesn’t need to be applied every day. When I cut back to a couple times a week, voila – no more stinging.

It’s a little weird knowing that I’ve used a chemical to plug up those pesky sweat glands, but not as weird as my constant fear of being known as Stinky Girl – because that’s what I’d be without CD!

• 23 Sunny // Mar 13, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Wow, does it really say it plugs up sweat glands? I always thought it was shrinking them, and that’s why it stung. I don’t know though, that might be silly.

I used Certain Dri for about 2 years and recently tried another product (B-Drier? That’s not exactly right, but it’s close.) once this bottle runs out, I’ll go back to Certain Dri. The new stuff seems to sting a little more, and it applies through a pad rather than a roller-ball and is a little harder for me to control.

FYI: You guys who are looking for this product, if you can’t find it at your regular store, try going to the pharmacy counter. If you have the name of the product or even just an ingredient, they can usually order it for you, no problem. I know we’re always doing that sort of thing for customers at my pharmacy.

• 24 Jennifer // Mar 14, 2007 at 5:40 am

I saw the Secret clinical at my local Target yesterday with a retail price of $7.99. I looked at the ingredients list and I’m still unsure of why it has the whopping price tag. It was only 2% stronger then any other deodorant in the isle. I’m sure if you put on your garden variety deodorant on at night you’d have the same results.

I’d like to use the stronger brands like Certain Dri, since I just gross myself out in the summer, but I’m afraid I’ll burn my overly sensitive pits off. Do you know anyone with insanely sensitive skin that has tried it?

• 25 Robin // Mar 14, 2007 at 9:21 am

I have battled wet armpits for years. I’ve never had it looked at by a physician so I am not sure if I have hyperhidrosis. I am not a fan of commercial deodorants. It seems like every one I try works for me for about 3 days and then suddenly stops working. A couple of months ago I started using a product from Lush called Aromacreme. While it hasn’t completely stopped my sweating, it has greatly improved the situation and I love how it smells. It is kind of pricey, but you only use it every other day and a $10 tub of it has lasted me almost 3 months. I am not sure what is in it other than it contains no aluminum, but just wanted to weigh in, in case there are those looking for an aluminum-free option.

• 26 Lori J // Mar 14, 2007 at 1:06 pm

I did an experiment over the past few nights, and today was the final test.

Left Pit: Certain Dri applied last night

Right Pit: Secret Clinical applied last night

No additional deodorant or antiperspirant applied to either side today.

Worked from 6:00 – 3:30 in a silk top.

Results: Certain Dri side very dry, no odor, no scent

Secret Clinical side very dry, no odor, nice deodorant scent.

Had to see which would break first in terms of sweat, got on the treadmill, now in workout clothes.

After a 20 minute run the Certain Dri side had some wetness, the Secret Clinical side was still dry.

• 27 Janie // Mar 14, 2007 at 2:08 pm

I’m so glad to see that I’m not the only one battling wet armpits.

I’ve tried Certain Dri before but usually forget to put it on at night–it does sting and make me itch a little, but not so much that I don’t want to use it.

I maybe have always used it wrong, though–you’re not supposed to put on deoderant again in the morning even if you shower? I always have, maybe that’s why it doesn’t work for me.

• 28 niki // Mar 14, 2007 at 3:03 pm

lori
    did the secret clinical leave any white residue?

• 29 Jen // Mar 14, 2007 at 8:21 pm

okay… all aluminum compound based antiperspriants work by plugging up the sweat glands, so Certain Dri et al. are no different.

• 30 Lori J // Mar 15, 2007 at 3:02 am

No, neither side had white residue – I think that is a plus with applying at night and then showering the next morning, the chances of white flakes goes way down.

However, the Certain Dri is a roll-on so it didn’t leave white, the Secret looked white in the container but went on clear.

• 31 megan // Mar 15, 2007 at 9:25 am

Lori – thanks so much for reporting on your experiment!

• 32 Renee // Mar 15, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Ladies I am new to trying Secret Clinical as of this week, I have battled sweaty stinky pits since I went through pruberty over 26 yrs ago, never thought to seek the advice of a physician just thought I could solve the problem myself. Certain Dri has no smell so I was not really excited by it so it still sits in my linen closet all alone. When I saw this Secret Clinical I had to give it a try. So far so good and what is really impressive is that when your body temperature rises the product begins to release more of it’s fragrance but no wetness. If my body somehow finds a way to kill the effects of the product I will give Certain Dri another go.

• 33 caroline // Mar 15, 2007 at 2:05 pm

yay, i win. thanks for the quiz tips.

i kind of have weird issues with deodorant and have been curious about this one.

time to gross you out: depending on what shirt i wear, i feel like the deodorant/armpit mix makes me give off this weird and horrible cat urine odor. no, seriously. my mom tells me i’m crazy (because, yes, i made her stick her face there), but i swear. it’s not cool.

please tell me i’m normal?

i’ll be glad i admitted this on a public forum, i’m sure.

either way, thanks for the tip, megan.

• 34 Lindsay // Mar 15, 2007 at 9:43 pm

heh, Caroline — you’re not alone!
    Ok, so I definitely wouldn’t describe it as a cat urine odor, but Degree+certain shirts of mine = weird smell. It’s not a typical b.o. smell either. I’ve never figured out how to describe it, but no one else seems to smell it (and yes, I’ve asked a couple people).
    yikes.
    (hanging my head in shame) ;)

• 35 megan // Mar 15, 2007 at 9:56 pm

Caroline – When I wear synthetics my armpit stink is definitely different. I have been sticking to natural fibers, cotton mostly. Luckily I don’t have to wear a suit or uniform for work. Sometimes the bad odor can get stuck in the fibers of your garment, even in the thread used in the seams or in the overlocked edge. Trust me, I used to study theater and one of my least happy assignments was to hand wash garments for a stage production where two actresses shared the same part and the same corseted gown. No amount of soaking and using special cleansers would get the odor out completely and it was trapped in the seams.

Sweat contains urea and ammonia, so you might definitely be smelling that.

• 36 sweatergirl // Mar 16, 2007 at 6:50 am

Try adding vinegar in your laundry when washing smelly synthetics. I used to do cloth diapers for my son, and vinegar is the only thing that truly gets those bodily fluid smells out! So I tried it with all my polyfiber workout clothes, works great. 1/2 cup plain white vinegar per load. (it smells salady while it’s damp, but as soon as its completely dry, no more vinegar or sweat smell.) It’s true, all synthetic fibers retain odor way more than natural. Hence the perennial stink of athletic uniforms. But they wick and keep you dry while you’re running/biking,etc.!

• 37 josh // Mar 23, 2007 at 5:15 am

are there any stores ia maryland that sell this stuff???

• 38 Marissa // Mar 27, 2007 at 10:09 am

I bought the Secret Clinical Strength about a week ago, I apply it at night everyday and GUESS WHAT !!! IT WORKS!!! In the morning I just put on my regular deodorant and it keeps me dry no more sweating I can finally wear light colors without having a wet circle under my arm. Nothing has ever worked for me not even Certain Dri, Certain Dry left an icky wet feeling not to mention it stains your clothing if you you don’t let it dry.

I RECOMMNED THE NEW SECRET CLINICAL STRENGTH DEODORANT I got it at Wal-mart for about $6.80 or something like that

• 39 sweetiepie2000 // Mar 27, 2007 at 9:43 pm

hey are you supposed to rub it in all the way or let it dry?

• 40 Marissa // Mar 28, 2007 at 5:32 am

Hey Sweetpie I just apply it at night like regular deodorant it dries immediately no interuptions, then in the morning just put on your regular deodorant after you shower or whatever your daily routine is……. Its great I am even wearing a light red shirt today with no sweat!!!!

• 41 sweetiepie2000 // Mar 28, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Hey Marissa! thanks for the info…i applied it last night and it worked incredibly well! i didnt sweat at all, and i smelled very fresh all day long!

• 42 Sydni // Apr 1, 2007 at 12:36 pm

I want to try the new clinical strenght secret deodorant because Certain Dri didn’t work for me. But I’ve heard that the new secret deodorant doesn’t work as well as Certain Dri. Am I just better off seeing the doctor to get a prescription strength deodorant or should I give this a try?

• 43 jasmin // Apr 2, 2007 at 4:52 pm

im 14 i sweat alot and its really embaressing and ive tried everything boy deodorant and even medication (that didnt work ) does the new secret clinical deodorant work????? because i need an answer to this very important problem before the summer.

• 44 sweetiepie2000 // Apr 3, 2007 at 9:28 pm

hey everyone…i posted last week to say that the secret clinical strength was working really well, but today it totally failed me. maybe it worked last week because the certain dri i had applied last week was still working (because certain dri is supposed to work for 72 hours)…i am not sure but i am very frusterated. tonight i have applied certain dri, then i let it dry for about five minutes(with intense stinging), and then i applied secret clinical strength over the top. it completely stopped the stinging…well i hope it works tomorrow! i will let everyone know.

• 45 Martha // Apr 4, 2007 at 1:23 pm

First of all, I think that it is funny that my name is Martha and I am posting on “Not Martha.” Heh.

I seem to be the only one here that has never had CertainDri work for me. I noticed only very little decrease in sweat. I wonder if I did it wrong. I did experience burning but nothing horrible.

I am interested in this Secret Clinical stuff. However, my boyfriend told me that he heard that it can mess with your liver. I cant find anything that said that and he did said that he was talking about perscription deodorent, but it still concerns me. Especially because the two have similar ingredients.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have some shirts that are none black or white that I am really wanting to wear. I hope this works!

• 46 megan // Apr 4, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Martha – The active ingredient anti-perspirant in Secret Clinical Strength is aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex gly. It’s the same active ingredient in every anti-perspirant I’ve used (Dove, Lady Speed Stick, Mitchum, Degree). In Secret Clinical Strength it is a higher percentage (20% instead of 14% or so). Other than that I think the Secret stuff is only really different because of it’s other ingredients. I hope this calms you mind about the liver damage report.

• 47 kelsey // Apr 10, 2007 at 5:39 pm

I’m new to the, shall I say, sweating community. I’m 15 and over this past year I’ve been experiencing really heavy sweating – to the point where I wouldn’t want to raise my hand it class and I’d watch every movement I’d make with my arms. I eventually started wearing big sweatshirt every day, to cover up the stain in my shirt and even my hoodie. I felt gross, and my self-confidence dropped. I tried man deodorant and applying multiple coats.

A few months ago, I started wearing sweatguards every day, pads that stick to you clothing and absorb sweat, preventing marks. I feel better because I know I can lift my arms, but my pits feel like they are soaked, and I’m uncomfortable.

When I saw the commercial for clinical strength secret, I decided I really wanted to try it. I found this site, and this is the first I’m hearing about CD. I’ve sent in for the sample of the Secret, but I don’t really want to wait the 6-8 weeks… oh well. I think if the Secret doesn’t work, I’m going to try CD, despite my sensitive skin. Any thoughts?

• 48 julie // Apr 11, 2007 at 7:53 am

I’m very disappointed with Secret Prescription, I have had no relief at all after 10 days. I have not found anything that works to reduce wetness in 10 years. It does retain its powdery smell through the sweating though! I tried B-Drier but it did nothing; I’ve never tried Certain Dri, I’m increasingly concerned about the links between the ingredients and breast cancer and would prefer not to use any of these chemicals. At least I’m happy I found this page of posts and know I’m not alone.

• 49 Amanda // Apr 11, 2007 at 1:58 pm

I bout secret clinical strength thinking that it would solve my sweating problems. I was wrong- Its been several weeks and I still sweat like crazy. I have had this problem for about 8 years. A long time ago I had a prescription for it but it burned really bad and since it had to be applied at night, it made it hard for me to sleep. Not only did it burn, but it ITCHED. The secret did not burn and it does smell fresh thru out the whole day. I am so dissapointed in the secret clinical.

• 50 Martha // Apr 12, 2007 at 6:39 am

I bought the Secret Clinical thinking that it wouldnt work, because nothing else has for me, although I have never been to a doctor about it. For the first week I only saw a minimal decrease in sweat. However, after that, each day it seemed to work a little more. And it does smell good, and it does make the skin feel softer. However, being paranoid like I am, I still put on regular deodorent through out the day.. by that I mean twice a day. I also find that it works better if I shower before I put it on. But not right before, about an hour before.

Hope this helps.

• 51 Jessica // Apr 16, 2007 at 11:08 am

Well, let’s see they changed the packaging, they charged me more than double what I would regularly pay, and they gave me the falso hope that this is the miracle antipersperant I’ve been waiting my whole life for……well I’m sorry to say it ladies, but it’s just not true. Not only is it not effective, but I now smell like a piece of Watermelon HubbaBubba bubblegum, and believe me an experet confirmed it, my 6 yr old knows her bubble gum. I couldn’t be more disappointed and a little ticked off with Secret-needless to say mine will be going back with receipt, upc label, and remaining product for a full refund….and I suggest to all of you who are also disappointed to do the same!

• 52 Corrine // Apr 16, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Does anyone out there have trouble just with odor – not excessive wetness? I don’t have the sweating challenge – I just can’t find a deodorant that works all day long… thanks!

• 53 r // Apr 17, 2007 at 9:35 am

Check out Odaban. It’s a liquid you spray on at night.. a few nights in a row then once a week then even less has worked wonders for me. you can order it online (from the UK).

• 54 coolness // Apr 17, 2007 at 6:36 pm

i have been using certain dri for about two weeks now because i have a really really bad sweating problem.
    and ughh certain dri stings REALLY bad makes me itchy and really have red armpits.
    does secret clinical strength work just as well?
    what else is there out there thats not like perscription?
    thanks! =]

• 55 megan // Apr 18, 2007 at 7:59 am

Thank you so much to everybody who wrote in here to let us know how this stuff might or might not work for you. I wrote a follow up post here.

• 56 Kathy // Apr 19, 2007 at 12:14 pm

I bought Secret clinical because for the last 4 Years (especially the last 2) I have had a wetness problem, no odor problem. Secret has always worked for me until the last 4 years. I have used the Secret clinical for 3 days and it is not working. I like to shower in the morning and shave. I shaved at night then put in on, then I did not shave, still problem with wet underarms help!

• 57 kelly // Apr 19, 2007 at 6:08 pm

well, i can see that there are a lot of other frustrated people out here…i have also had trouble with sweating for many years…the only thing that has ever somewhat worked for me was a prescription…i figured for 8 bucks that i could try secret clinical…ive been using it for about a week and it hasnt helped what so ever….i was hoping that maybe it might take a while to get used to…but the way that you are all talking, it probably won’t….my suggestion to all you ladies out there that aren’t getting any relief with any other deodorants is to get the prescription…it does burn and itch, so i am warning you….but it’s the ONLY thing that has helped me at all…not even certain dry worked at all for me….good luck to you all!

• 58 Julia // Apr 21, 2007 at 12:36 pm

I bought Secret Clinical Strength about two weeks ago and I have seen no improvement. I’m not sure if I am using the product correctly though. When you take the deoderant stick out of the box, and you push the bottom part to the left, do you keep pushing it until a lot of it comes out of the top? According to the box, you only need to push it twice & then apply it to your underarms, but whenever I do that, there is never anything being put on my armpits. Help?

• 59 raina abbe // Apr 22, 2007 at 11:21 am

just wanna try this otc and see if it works. no otc works for me

• 60 Jinny Baldridge // Apr 24, 2007 at 5:24 pm

I tried this product. and loved it. Going thru changes in body and nothing was working. Thank you secret

• 61 McAuliflower // Apr 24, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Have been using Certain Dri since reading this post.

It is amazing- has worked absolutely from day one. I only put it on every three days.

Fortunate to have no stinging with its use.

It even survives my work (with tropical fish at 90F and high humidity)!

• 62 bad arm pits // Apr 25, 2007 at 5:54 am

having a problem with under arm ordor, (arm pits smell like a bull)I have tried everything, even the prescription Dysol, which minimized the ordor. I have been using Clinical Secret for one week, and I no longer have an ordor at all not even in my shirts. I am praying this continue to work for me. It seems like once my armpits get use to something, the bad smell comes back. I love clinical secret.

• 63 kelly // Apr 27, 2007 at 9:33 am

just thought that i might mention that secret clinical is a joke…i posted earlier that it did me know help and since then i looked at all of the deodorants that i have an found something interesting. the active ingrediant is exatly the same as that in women’s mitchum…yes…the 20%….so secret clinical is just a big joke to me since it advertises that there is nothing like it, while mitchum has the same thing in it and i think it actually works better…but ill stick to drysol…the prescription is the only one that completely works for me

• 64 megan // Apr 27, 2007 at 10:29 am

Kelly – I came to a similar conclusion, see this post from April 17th to read my conclusions as well as some information about how applying any anti-perspirant in the evenings can make it more effective.

• 65 Becki // Apr 30, 2007 at 2:37 pm

secret clinical strength does NOT work!!! its utter crap and i cant believe it didnt work. So much for waisting 10$ on a midgit tube of deoderant that doesnt even work! im going to try to get Certain Dri because so many people have used it with fantastic results! Im really dissapointed because i have really bad under arm sweating and secret did not work. Maybe my sweating problem is too severe for secret to handel. I will try Certain Dri and pray it works. I dont care about the stingy pain i just want something that works!!

• 66 Eileen // May 3, 2007 at 10:03 pm

Hey all! I’ve read all your comments and I just want to say that thank goodness I’m not the only one, I thought I had a rare problem. I tried the secret clinical strength with mediocre results. It worked for about a week then the effects wore off, and I shelled out ten bucks for it:p The only thing that has worked for me is just using baking soda after using diluted peroxide for odor, which I had really bad, in addition to using Certain Dri. I also put a little bit of vinegar in the wash. Keep in mind though, I don’t have sensitive skin, so my armpit regimen(I can’t believe I have an armpit regimen, haha) might be a little much for some. Anyway, I’m going back to Certain Dri to see what happens.

• 67 Candace // May 7, 2007 at 8:42 pm

i love certain Dri! i used to sweat a lot and now i never do! i just make sure to wait at least 45 kin after showering or shaving before i put it on or evse my armpits sting really bad. no side effects and i’ve been using it for 6 months. i love it!

• 68 r.k. // May 8, 2007 at 2:40 pm

im 16 years old and i sweat a lot! ive been reading this site and many other sites, and researching products to use. ive tried mitchum, lady speed stick, secret [the regular ones], and soft dri..but nothing seems to work! Summer is coming and i would really love to wear nice tops. I usually wear black and baggy clothes (for obvious reasons) and im tired of constantly checking under my arms to see if there is a big stain. i cant raise my hand in class and im never comfortable. so far, i would like to try secret clinical or maybe even certain dri. some say one works and some say the other works better. im still not too sure. money is an issue so i wont spend $15 for a small tube that might not even work. and i do live in Toronto, Canada. could i get these products here? helpp! :)

• 69 steph // May 8, 2007 at 3:49 pm

I’ve been using Secret Clinical. and it worked for about 1 week. then i went back to my normal sweating behavior. it really pisses me off because i spent 10 on nothing. i haven’t tried certain dri yet, and i’m scared to because of the stinging i’m hearing about.

advice?

• 70 Lainy // May 8, 2007 at 11:35 pm

I agree with the person who said using Certain Dri was ‘life changing’. This may sound really strange, but I only seem to have excessive sweating on one side. The other side does sweat, but no where near as much.

Certain Dri was $7.99 CDN and was well worth it! After the first couple of weeks, I only had to use it a couple times a week so the bottle lasted for ages…and no more ruined white t-shirts! I don’t recall ever experiencing any stinging, though I do remember it making me itch a little sometimes.

I recently ran out and am considering trying the Secret Clinical (if I can find it here in Canada). Because it’s a solid I bet it won’t be as economical as the Certain Dri. Now that I think about it I’ll probably buy both…I could use the Certain Dri on a more regular basis and the Secret when I want the ‘odor fighting capsules’.

• 71 Cassie // May 9, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Regarding burning or itching issues with Certain Dri, you can stop it with talcum powder. Just rub it into your skin and it will stop the burning. In my experience, the burning only happens when I use it too frequently – more than a couple of times a week. Once the product is on, it’s hard to wash off and stop the burning, but I’ve found powder works really well when I’ve overdone it. Also, if you find you need an additional deodorant during the day, the crystal stone works best and doesn’t interfere with the action of the Certain Dri like a normal antiperspirant can.

• 72 Kelsey // May 10, 2007 at 1:39 pm

I went to the pharmacy the other day to get Secret Clinical, but they didn’t have any. Luckily for me, in my search I found Certain Dri. I’ve been using it for about a week, and so far the results are fabulous. For the most part, I’ll have a very light bit of sweat, but not nearly enough to make any marks or anything.

I just got my Secret Clinical sampler in the mail, and I’m thinking about laying of the Certain Dri and give it a try. I’ll be sure to keep you all posted on how it works (:

• 73 r.k. // May 10, 2007 at 2:14 pm

i dont think secret clinical is here in canada and im searching for certain dri. so far no luck!
    Lainy, where did you get your Certain Dri? =)

• 74 Lainy // May 11, 2007 at 4:28 pm

R.K., I’m in the Vancouver area and bought my Certain Dri at London Drugs, but when I went today, they said the supplier has been out of stock for about a month now. I looked everywhere…Save-on, Safeway, Real Canadian Superstore, Shoppers, none of them even carry it. I finally found a bottle at People’s Drug Mart.

No, Secret Clinical Strength is not available in Canada…but that’s no big deal since many of our antiperspirants already contain more of the same active ingredient (aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex), some as much as 25%, while Secret Clinical only has 20%.

The past few nights I applied my Lady Speed Stick (22%) at night and I can only say it was slightly more effective, so the Secret Clinical would have been a waste of money for me.

Good luck!

• 75 r.k. // May 11, 2007 at 6:56 pm

Lainy, Im in the Toronto area and I’ve tried calling around 6 Shoppers Drug Mart stores in my area. But none of them have Certain Dri or even heard of it! But I still might try a few other stores. If all else fails, then i just might buy it from amazon.ca (that is how desperate i am)

heres the link for those of you who might need it:

This might sound stupid, but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. It would be in the deoderant/antiperspirant section right? Not in the creams or medication sections?

• 76 r.k. // May 14, 2007 at 4:52 pm

has anyone tried the “Certain Dri A.M.SCENTED STICK Shower Fresh Deodorant /Antiperspirant” (2.6 Oz)?

• 77 Adrienne // May 15, 2007 at 1:40 pm

I have been using the Secret Clinical Strength for about a month now, they did send me a sample and I just went back for a coupon. Walmart.com also was sending samples. I really do like it and it works for hubby too. You really do need to apply before bed, don’t ask me why, but it works. At first I wasn’t doing that and I didn’t like it at all, then I read the directions (duh!) Walmart carries it in nowhere, Illinois for about $8. No burning or itching at all, but definitely reapply after a shower!

• 78 me =) // Jun 5, 2007 at 3:37 pm

So I bought Certain Dri a few days ago. I followed the directions and used it for two nights. So far, the perspiration hasnt completely stopped but it has decreased. How long will it take for my underarms to be completely dry? Also, is it okay to put Degree Anti-Perspirant in the mornings or should I get a deodorant (just to be safe from any b.o.)?

• 79 megan // Jun 5, 2007 at 4:06 pm

I cannot tell you how long it might take for Certain Dri to begin working, however I believe it is safe to use a regular anti-perspirant during the day. Certain Dri also makes something called Certain Dri A.M. which is meant to be applied in the mornings while using Certain Dri in the evenings. If you read the ingredients in Certain Dri A.M. it is simply a standard anti-perspirant containing aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex. So, one could assume it’s ok to use their regular anti-perspirant during the day.

• 80 allison // Jun 16, 2007 at 8:51 am

Ahh I am SO happy that this ‘problem’ is not that rare. For all this time, I thought I was alone and figured there was nothing I could do about it! Thank goodness I found this website, and I’m definitely going to pick up a bottle of CertainDri next time I’m at Target! How much does CertainDri cost, usually? I’m still kind of nervous and scared about this itching and burning I’ve been reading about…but I guess I’ll do anything to STOP SWEATING! I heard that putting powder on your armpits prevents the itching a little, so I’ll do that. Do I put the powder on before or after i apply CertainDri?

• 81 Paula McPoland // Jun 20, 2007 at 6:35 am

I love the Clinical. Now that I have constant private summers, this is really helping me to stay cool and calm. Many thanks!

• 82 Emma // Aug 12, 2007 at 1:21 am

I have been using certain dri for about a week now with great results. I did get a little moist today but it was like 30 degrees with humidity. but it wasn’t enough to go through my t-shirt. Certain has only burned a bit once but that was because I put a bit to much on. I also recommend putting a regular deodorant on in the morning since certain dri doesn’t stop odor. I use a men’s deodorant since I find that the scent lasts longer. I recommend trying certain dry, It IS a life changer for anyone who has underarm sweating!

• 83 Jen // Sep 2, 2007 at 6:42 pm

I am so glad I googled some more and found this site. As soon as I read about Certain Dri I ran to CVS and bought that and the Certain Dri AM. I don’t really get a lot of wetness but the smell and the stickiness. I am hoping this works. I thought I was alone and I couldn’t figure out why none of the ap/deo’s were working for me since I wasn’t really dripping with sweat or anything. It was just enough to cause an odor and last and last…Anyway, I want to thank you all for all your comments and I will keep you aprised on my results with Certain Dri!!

• 84 Leslie // Sep 9, 2007 at 3:53 pm

This deodorant is great it helps me stay dry for a longer period of time and it leaves your skin very smooth.

• 85 a.m. // Sep 10, 2007 at 12:43 pm

i sweat quite alot. so which is better? secret clinical or certain dri? i had not even heard of certain dri until this post… i’m hearing good and bad posts for both so i am kind of confused now. thanks for the expeiriment tho, lori j! haha… it sort of answered the question but i will never know til i try one that works. but i cant find SCS anywhere. grrrrrrrrrr!!

• 86 Lorraine // Oct 1, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Canadian Ladies! Secret Clinical Strength is finally available at Shoppers Drugmart!! I have been looking for this for my 15 year old daughter since I first heard of the product (sold in the US only at that time) She is a very beautiful young lady but she has developed self-esteem problems due to excessive sweating. She dresses up in pretty tops to go to school then has to cover them up with baggy hoodies to cover the sweat pools! I am hoping that the new Secret will help. If not we’ll try the Certain Dri which I had never heard of before! I’ll check back in to let you all know how it goes!

• 87 Lainy // Oct 20, 2007 at 3:20 pm

After reading all the comments about Secret Clincal when it was launched in the US, I’m not rushing out to buy it now that it’s available here in Canada. From what I can tell, it’s the same formula as the US version.

Funny how they wait until the fall to launch it here. Anything is going to seem to work better now that the weather has cooled down!

I don’t know how much a bottle is here, but I imagine it will be as much or more than Certain Dri (which was $7.99 last time I bought it). Certain Dri works and a bottle will likely last longer, making it better value.

I might try a bottle and do my own little trial (Secret on one underarm, Certain Dri on the other), but I’m interested in hearing what other Canadians think of this product.

• 88 Christina // Oct 30, 2007 at 10:36 am

Hey guys,
    I’ve been reading all your comments and i have to say i’m still so confused… I’ve been dealing with sweaty pits for a few years now and i’m really interested in using the Certain Dri product. However, i live in toronto and have no idea where i can find it…
    If anyone knows where i can get it, please let me know!!

• 89 megan // Oct 30, 2007 at 10:55 am

Christina – The ladies at Lip Gloss and Laptops mentioned this once, ask the person behind the pharmacy counter. Apparently, they keep it back there even though you don’t need a prescription.

• 90 nina // Nov 8, 2007 at 7:55 am

For all of you suffering from the same sweaty pit problems that I have been, I highly recommend that you try Maxim Antiperspirant. You can buy it online at http://www.maximteam.com/. It is a little expensive, however it has worked extremely well for me and I no longer have to worry about those embarrassing wet marks. The only downside to using this product that I have found, is that it can cause burning & itching…so I try not to shave my armpits before applying it because it WILL burn! However as you use it, you will notice you don’t have to apply it everyday and that the effects will last 2-3 days. Also the little bottle does last a pretty long time. I would say I’ve had mine for atleast 6 months.

• 91 L // Nov 14, 2007 at 5:05 pm

I too have a problem with odor, not so much sweating except when I’m nervous. I have tried everything and Secret CS is the only thing that’s come close to not making me smell like a chemical factory. I actually had a teacher ask “What smells like Lysol?”. Talk about embarrassing!
    I don’t mind paying a little extra if it gives me some peace of mind.

• 92 SHASHA // Jan 8, 2008 at 6:52 pm

I just bought secret clinical so I’m hoping it will work!

• 93 sweatygrrl // Jan 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm

hi everyone,I have used certain dri and it kinda worked for me but I developed a rash. I would also like to add that lady speed stick (some of them) actually has 22% aluminum which is the most I have seen without a prescription and it works better than certain dri. I am planning to apply it at night also to see if I get better results.

• 94 Morgan // Feb 12, 2008 at 1:50 pm

I’m 18 and every since puberty I’ve been sweating through my shirts (and hoodies!). Not cool. I recently bought Secret CS, and it hasn’t really been working. Although, I’ve only been using it for half a week or so. I apply at night AND in the morning, but it’s still not doing the job 100%. My left armpit stays dry, but my right still sweats through the shirt (although, not as much as before). I am disappointed, because I was hoping for a miracle product. Maybe I should try CD? I don’t care about the itching and burning… I’m ready to fly to the moon for sometihing that works!

• 95 fran // Mar 31, 2008 at 10:39 am

i try degree powder scent doesnt wrk

• 96 fran // Mar 31, 2008 at 10:40 am

degree sheer doesn’t work

• 97 Marni // Apr 17, 2008 at 6:34 pm

I have tried Drysol and Secret Clinical. I like them both. I prefer the Secret brand cuz it smells nice and goes on nicely. I accidentally itched under my arm when I use the Drysol and ended up with a burning sensation.
    One problem I have with both products is that after about 3-4 wks of use I develop a weird armpit odor. Has this happened to anyone else?
    I don’t know if I’m suppose to stop everyonce in awhile.

• 98 MISS SMELLING GOOD // Sep 16, 2008 at 1:06 pm

For everyone out there, I will tell you that certain dri works. I have been using it for over 2 years and the product is amazing. My armpits don’t smell at all even after 24 hours. I recently tried the secret clinical strength. It did not work that well for me and I had to go back to certain dri. I now use the secret clinical strength or secret flawless at night and then I use certain dri in the morning and it works throughout the whole day. I never have to worry about armpit odor and I even get compliments on how good I smell.

• 99 courtney // Mar 16, 2009 at 2:56 pm

As far as Certain Dri goes, do you have to have a prescription? On the site it says doctor reccommended, but it also says without presciption. Thanks!

• 100 megan // Mar 16, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Courtney – Yes, you need a prescription for Certain Dri, though they do have an over-the-counter product.

I did try some of the prescription strength options and found they made my underarms itch unbearably and it didn’t subside after a long stretch of use. This sensitivity is an unfortunate effect a lot of people report.

• 101 Megan // Apr 19, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I sweat all the time.
    Certian Dri worked really good for the first two times and then it became incredibly itchy. and it made my armpits like raw because they were so itchy. I use secret clinical strength but it does not work. HELP.

• 102 Gabrie // Jun 2, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I’m 14 years old and started sweating excessively sort of recently. I can not look at a picture of me wearing a colored shirt without getting jealous. I have been reduced to wearing sort of sheer white tshirts with tanks underneath so the wetness under my arms is not so noticeable.

I read all the hype about Certain Dri so I thought I would go by it. Nothing happened. 1) I never experience any stinging, and 2) I never experienced any “life changing” decrease in my excessive sweating.

I’ve been reading about this deodorant called Mitchum which I’ve heard works well but I don’t know! I think I might go tomorrow to the local Rite Aid and by a mitchum and a clinical strength secret and give them both a test run. I just need something that works! I can’t wear anything without completely saturating my arm pits after doing simple things like walking from class to class or even just sitting in class.

Its embarrassing and I want it to stop!

• 103 Andrea // Jun 11, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Gabrie,

I used to have the same problem. I use Certain Dri but not according to the instructions. I normally apply it 5 minutes after I shower and it keeps me dry all day. I had hyperhidrosis surgery in 2001 and it took a few years for the compensatory sweating to stop but now I no longer have a sweating problem. Instead of getting the surgery done, you may also try pharmacy.ca and purchase avert tablets to help control sweating on your whole body. I hope this will help you.