down and out

This site has been loading unacceptably slowly for the past few weeks so I’m officially shopping for a new hosting company. I’m currently using Dreamhost and while I love the ridiculous amount of bandwidth they give me, I think it’s time to leave. If you have a hosting company you absolutely love I’d appreciate the recommendation, write me at notmartha AT gmail DOT com. My thanks.

If this site should disappear for a few days, know that I’ll be back shortly.

· comments [33] · 03-9-2007 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Kung Foodie Kat // Mar 9, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Liquid Web is a host that I notice a lot of blogs with heavy traffic use, another is Site5.com. You can also do name searches on http://www.WebHostingTalk.com to check for reviews. This is good for when you narrow choices down to a short list.

• 2 Kung Foodie Kat // Mar 9, 2007 at 1:25 pm

Ooh…forgot to add that if you’re using a setup like WordPress (or any other blog platform) you should check any plugins you’re running. Many of them can be major resource hogs especially if they track stats. You can google to see if others are having problems with them.

• 3 megan // Mar 9, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Kat, the lag is almost definitely from the hosting company (500 errors). I’ll check to see if my plugins are holding me back though.

• 4 Cheryl // Mar 9, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Oh! I use DreamHost, too. I’m so frustrated with them. I’m also shopping around for a new host.

• 5 Kristin S // Mar 9, 2007 at 3:22 pm

I was so sad when I couldn’t access your site for two days becuase of some weird server error. Huzzah for moving away from Dreamhost.

• 6 TheBon // Mar 9, 2007 at 3:25 pm

I think that’s weird that you’re having issues with DreamHost. I’ve been using them for ages now, and have had nary a problem. I’d chalk it up to lower traffic, but TheBoy’s company also uses it for it’s very very traffic heavy sites. Have you contacted DreamHost to see if they can locate a problem on their end?

• 7 megan // Mar 9, 2007 at 3:33 pm

TheBon – I have contacted them and I got the equivalent of the “unplug the cord and blow on the connector” response. Thus I am kissing them goodbye.

• 8 girlrobot // Mar 9, 2007 at 3:37 pm

i’ve heard a lot of good things about a small orange. i know some big sites use them.

• 9 amy // Mar 9, 2007 at 4:26 pm

I thought it was me. Fix it! I can’t go a day without you….I felt sad and alone.

• 10 megan // Mar 9, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Amy, you’re not alone!

• 11 Plain Jane Mom // Mar 9, 2007 at 6:10 pm

I really like asmallorange.com quite a bit. If you tell them I sent you I’ll get a credit on my bill, but I would recommend them even without the referral credit ;)

They’re very responsive to my emails, have Control Panel with tons of stuff… Nice folks who DON’T just assume all their customers are morons.

• 12 melissa // Mar 9, 2007 at 6:19 pm

i’ve been using LivingDot since june and haven’t had any problems. mine is a very low-traffic blog though, so you might want to ask someone more popular. heh.

• 13 Sarah // Mar 9, 2007 at 6:50 pm

I am a big fan of Verve Hosting. Their tech support is top-notch, there is very minimal downtime, and they’re not expensive. :)

• 14 Carina // Mar 9, 2007 at 11:17 pm

I use site5.com and they’re great!

• 15 Britt // Mar 10, 2007 at 6:59 am

I use HostGator for my sites and have had no issues whatsoever. I’ve got a reseller account, but their basic hosting plans are reasonably priced and their customer service is amazing.

• 16 spyderkl // Mar 10, 2007 at 6:59 am

I use Laughing Squid for my parenting/politics blog, and I love them! They’re up more often than they’re down, the techies are kind and generous and don’t make me feel like an idiot, and their prices are reasonable.

• 17 Kim // Mar 10, 2007 at 7:44 am

My spouse uses 1and1.com for his work/site. Per his recommendation, they have good prices, good bandwith.

• 18 TheBon // Mar 10, 2007 at 7:50 am

Megan-
    That sucks. Sorry you’re having so much trouble with them. I don’t blame you for not wanting to stay with them then!

• 19 EulalieShinn // Mar 10, 2007 at 9:09 am

Thank you very much for mentioning lag.
    Thank you. Thank you very much.

I use blogger but I’ve only had 8 visits
    since 2005. :(

• 20 Rebecca // Mar 10, 2007 at 9:18 am

I’ve used htpp://www.Avahost.com for years and have been pretty happy with them.

• 21 Lessa // Mar 10, 2007 at 11:32 am

I use bluehost.com – they’re fantastic! I just recently moved there with them, and have had nothing but fabulous things to say about em. drug all my clients over too as a result.

• 22 Nichole // Mar 10, 2007 at 1:05 pm

I’ll second Lessa’s comment. We switched to bluehost last year and haven’t had any problems.

• 23 Richard // Mar 10, 2007 at 2:21 pm

I highly recommend John May at

My sites have only gone down there when scheduled — when he was moving the servers to a new location. And John usually answers emails — during business hours — in minutes. He’s not the cheapest web host around, but I appreciate not having to pull my hair out every few months.

He runs Mac OS X servers, and as an Apple fanboy, I like that, too. Perhaps that’s one reason why he’s so reliable. :-)

• 24 Richard // Mar 10, 2007 at 2:22 pm

Arghhhhh… John May at pointinspace.com

• 25 EulalieShinn // Mar 10, 2007 at 2:24 pm

I just wanted to second what Nichole said.

And I also agree with Richard about the hair.

• 26 Lindsay // Mar 10, 2007 at 3:26 pm

I use ipower and I love it, but I’m also not running a heavy-traffic site.

• 27 EulalieShinn // Mar 10, 2007 at 4:08 pm

If you could post something about coffee I would really appreciate it!

I’ve looked thru a lot of stuff but
    haven’t been able to locate it.

Thanks so much!

• 28 Me // Mar 10, 2007 at 7:12 pm

We use Liquid Web. http://www.dooce.com uses them. She loves them, and so do I.

• 29 Julie // Mar 12, 2007 at 10:58 am

Media Temple. They host large and small – and with the new grid servers, they automatically scale to what you need. Their customer & tech service are fab too!

Julie

PS To Lindsay – I used to host with iPower. They’ve had my son’s baby pictures hostage for 1.5 years now. Check out my website to learn more.

• 30 Kati // Mar 12, 2007 at 1:51 pm

I am a Dreamhost refugee too, and after looking through pages and pages of host reviews on all kinds of websites, and blogs and what seems like every single page of the internet, i decided on A Small Orange last weekend. They were the only hosts where the good reviews outweighed the bad reviews, and they are a smaller host (but with a good track record), so they are less likely to suffer from Dreamhost’s pains (which really seem to come down to growing too big and not keeping up).

I have been with DH for about 4 years now, and up until about half a year ago, they really were a dream, but the last 6 months have been hell, and i can’t afford to lose customers – i am hosting my business site with them… (I am not moving my personal sites just yet, only the online shop for now. But if things don’t get better in about 2 months, it’s bye-bye for good.)

Anyway, A Small Orange is here: http://www.asmallorange.com/
    I am just about finished moving over all my stuff and about to switch the DNS over to them… So far their support has been really great, they answered all my emails in half an hour, and they have online chat support as well. I didn’t run into any kind of problems so far, and the new account is soooo much faster than DH.

• 31 robyn // Mar 13, 2007 at 5:03 am

I use canaca. They are cheap and I have never had a problem…I have been using them for a number of years.

• 32 Lenore // Mar 13, 2007 at 3:20 pm

We use pair.com and they have been utterly reliable. On the other hand, (and to second spyderkl’s nomination) we know folks who use laughingsquid and we know folks from laughingsquid. They are totally cool (and also reliable) and would be good people to send your money to.

• 33 tasha. // Mar 14, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Phew, thought your site was gone!

That’s weird, because I use DreamHost too and haven’t had any problems with my own site, nor any of the various other sites I’ve hosted through them over the years. Interesting!