two things I would like

Looking forward to the spring, a pot that will help me not kill plants. It’s the Eva Solo Self-Watering Flowerpot, you can see more about it at the Eva Solo site. It’s so clean looking, and you can see the water level right there, nice. Via Apartment Therapy LA.

A book that will help me make it through the last dreary days here, Hip Sips. It had me by the time I saw the sprig of rosemary on the cover.

· comments [6] · 03-6-2007 · categories:books · food · the home ·

• 1 Matt // Mar 7, 2007 at 6:30 am

I’ve had good success using a product called Agro Soak. You just mix some of the “crystals” into your potting mix, and they absorb water when you water, then release it slowly. It’s essentially polymer that goes from solid to gel when it gets wet.

I’ve been able to successfully have a container vegetable garden on an urban roof using it.

I think they actually sell potting mixes with something like it mixed in.

• 2 stacey // Mar 8, 2007 at 7:44 pm

You could also just steal a diaper and use the silicone bits inside – same kind of crystals.

I can’t remember, Megan, is this your first Pacific Northwest winter or second?

• 3 megan // Mar 8, 2007 at 9:10 pm

stacey – It’s my third Northwest winter and boy do I miss snow. I miss chipping my car off the driveway, I miss slush, I miss day after day of cold, I miss real cold weather clothing, I miss freezing toes. Sniff. I love winter.

This year we stocked up on tea, computer games and whiskey and seem to have avoided the worst of the despair.

• 4 Sol // Jul 2, 2007 at 3:59 am

I own those Eva Solo self watering pots and they are fantastic for basil and cilantro, but other plants that need less watering are not suitable because they will be way too moist and rot quickly.

• 5 martha // Jun 17, 2008 at 1:57 am

just very drole! I was checking my website and found yours, and i am a martha, but you obviously are not!

your site is great. I would like link to you, let me know if you would like to exchange links.
    martha

• 6 Diksha // Feb 25, 2010 at 9:46 pm

ive been using them with coco to great result
    i recommend watering from the bottom, not pouring the nutes in top