the home

twist and spout turns a water bottle into a watering can

replacing a p-trap, at Curbly, via Action Hero

self-charging smoke alarm at Product Dose

home hacks for building a better home, at Ask Metafilter

making the informed LCD monitor choice, at Product Dose

thumb saver for when I hammer things, at Popgadget

clever cocktail pick storage, at Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories

gentle lead dog harness, at Cool Tools

da*xiang’s charging station

at Apartment Therapy

non-carpet floor tiles

Alto stair treads

Marimekko wall hanging, I might get this

how to cover walls in starched fabric

reversible decor: chandelier cover up

flash based room planner

magnetic bamboo file storage

weatherproofing the home

eco-friendly mold fighters

ceiling soundproofing (so glad we don’t have to worry about that stuff anymore)

side sleeper pillows

turn an Ikea Lack shelf into a media console

how to hang all of our bags (I have a plan for mine)

what about small washers?

3M Command adhesives = good stuff

DIY hanging light bulbs

where to fit a recycling bin

DIY LED light box

· comments [6] · 03-1-2007 · categories:links · the home ·

• 1 kali // Mar 1, 2007 at 10:14 am

LOVE the home hacks as i am in the planning/design stage of building a house! thanks!

• 2 Monkee // Mar 1, 2007 at 10:16 am

Let’s just say the husband and I are weird people who like to build massive shelving units/bookcases on the weekends. Whenever we do so, we always put little 3/4″ strips of wood over all of the the front facing edges to make it look like it’s made out of solid maple instead of veneered plywood. For this we used hundreds of teeny tiny little nails and a couple of giant, thumb crushing hammers. There are many curse words, but NO MORE, because now I have thumbsavers! Best. Product. Ever!

• 3 Jen // Mar 1, 2007 at 8:46 pm

I’m totally in love with 3M Command adhesive. My dad hates putting holed in things, so I’ve set up many nifty things for my mom using them, and hung christmas lights around my grandma’s front window with them too.

• 4 Kerry Anne // Mar 1, 2007 at 10:00 pm

I’ve had my eye out for those 3M adhesives. Brilliant idea for some awkward walls in my house.:)

• 5 Molly // Mar 2, 2007 at 6:15 am

The Gentle Leader Harness sounded like a great idea for our dog who pulls like a stem train (Black Lab). After 30 minutes of dog-wrestling to try and get him into it I did succeed, only to have him hook his bottom jam under the chest strap and chew it into two pieces.

Gentle Leader makes a head collar (think horse halter for dogs) that I would highly recommend!

• 6 Maureen // Mar 2, 2007 at 7:33 am

The idea of being able to change a pop bottle into a watering can. Why didn’t anyone think of it sooner. Great idea for kids.