more cupcakes = good

The other day I found myself near the new-ish Trophy Cupcakes and Party in the Wallingford Center here in Seattle. I had just gotten my taxes done and it was the perfect reason for a small celebration. I bought four cupcakes for myself, and for Scott, but mostly for myself. I was so pleased to find that Trophy was so charming and pretty. I asked if I could take some photographs and they were happy to let me, you can see them starting here on my Flickr stream.

The store carries letterpress cards and wrapping papers from Snow & Graham, it was like stepping back into the now gone (sniff) Flourish card shop. They also carry a bunch of charming and unusual party favors and cupcake toppers, as well as some D Sharp decorations and Cup-a-cake containers. They sell expresso drinks, and have all four flavors of Dry Soda. But the cupcakes are really splendid. Each cupcake flavor we sampled had a different texture of cake to suit the flavor, and the icings were all different and went perfectly.

Despite being in the middle of the small shopping building the space feels cozy and welcoming. If you have ever been to Wallingford Center the cupcake place is located where the old espresso stand was, but they’ve opened up the middle door that is on Wallingford Avenue. It was blocked off during the time that I lived a few blocks away and it make the building feel very unwelcoming. If you are in Wallingford Center for the first time know it wasn’t always that empty, and be sure to check out Amita. It’s located half way up the front steps off of 45th St, it’s tiny but always has purses I long for.

· comments [26] · 02-22-2007 · categories:food · seattle ·

• 1 jesser // Feb 23, 2007 at 6:54 am

Now I want a cupcake BAD. Mmm… cupcakes for breakfast.

• 2 Kendra! // Feb 23, 2007 at 7:51 am

Thank you for this cupcake montage. I have proceeded to post a similar Ode to the Cupcake on my site and have attributed the pictures all to you.

For the Love of the wee little fluff and smooth cakelet.

• 3 Cathy P // Feb 23, 2007 at 10:03 am

I’ve had cupcakes on my mind too!
    have you been to cupcake royale in madrona?

i even made a couple digi pages dedicated to the cupcake…I posted it on my blog :)

• 4 josh // Feb 23, 2007 at 10:39 am

Did you then go watch Chronicles of Narnia?

• 5 Patti // Feb 23, 2007 at 10:41 am

Nice! We’re going to a movie for my birthday, and having dinner in Wallingford – we’ll have to go get a cupcake!

• 6 Katie // Feb 23, 2007 at 10:43 am

Did you try the Chai cupcake? I had one a little over a week ago and it was delish! The flavor was spot on. The European style hot chocolate is also divine although you just know it has not one redeeming nutritional value. Oh well. It made me happy and that has to count for something :)

• 7 melissa // Feb 23, 2007 at 10:46 am

i went there two weeks ago (i think on the day it opened…) and the vanilla cupcake i had was so good. we’re getting really spoiled for cupcakes here in seattle!

what is the green one you have there?

• 8 Monkee // Feb 23, 2007 at 11:25 am

I want to live in the civilized world, where you can go to a store and just buy beautiful and yummy cupcakes all willy nilly….so sad.

• 9 elle // Feb 23, 2007 at 12:28 pm

now, i want a cupcake too-and a cup of java and a nap.

• 10 Marilyn // Feb 23, 2007 at 1:31 pm

What a cute looking place! In my dreams I would open up a place like this but I’m not so sure I can handle all of the work that’s involved.

• 11 V // Feb 23, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Yum, those look so good! I may have to give them a try this weekend, thanks for the heads up.

• 12 Iportion // Feb 23, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Those are cute I want a cupcake

• 13 Connie // Feb 24, 2007 at 11:56 am

pssh thats a lame cupcake container…this one is for the big boys…

• 14 Cupcake Queen // Feb 24, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Wow! That sounds like such a cool place…I need a conference to go to in Seattle so that I can visit and eat those yummy looking cupcakes! Thanks for sharing….CQ

• 15 Patti // Feb 24, 2007 at 6:56 pm

A followup – I got a triple chocolate cupcake and it was incredible and dense, but turned out to really be too rich for me. I think I have to stick with Cupcake Royale. Their shop was so cute, though!

• 16 Megan // Feb 25, 2007 at 1:01 pm

I just tried Trophy cupcakes last week too. The Chai Cardamum was yummy but the vanilla cake in the chocolate vanilla was bland and dry.
    Still better overall than Cupcake Royal.
    But by far the best cupcakes in town are from Coffee to a Tea with Sugar at the Alaska Junction in West Seattle. Pretty and the flavors and cakes are always right on.

• 17 susan // Feb 25, 2007 at 10:00 pm

I wish we had such a cute cupcake place like this in San Diego.. or something like Miette!

• 18 MichelleBee // Mar 1, 2007 at 11:44 am

Trophy is awesome and it’s getting sooo much local love: http://www.yelp.com/biz/Bb-j-Kq81pFjmorKmkyp0Q

• 19 paola // Mar 4, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Just been there and thought they had the most delicious cupcakes I’ve tasted since coming to America and not overly sweet.

• 20 Cait // Mar 6, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Do the green tea cupcakes actually taste like green tea? Might be a dumb question, but I can’t imagine that tasted very good in cupcake form?

• 21 prasti // Mar 12, 2007 at 6:36 pm

gosh those cupcakes look good. when i lived in seattle, i used to go to cupcake royale quite often. it’s really the frosting that gets me…i just love creamy, rich frosting. a delicious cupcake coupled with rich frosting just puts me over the edge! i miss them!

• 22 vyviane // Apr 2, 2007 at 7:05 pm

we’re having their cupcakes for our wedding. all the raves made us changed our mind from having a traditional cake to wedding cupcakes.

• 23 Domestic Adventures » Cupcake Crazy // May 5, 2007 at 6:09 pm

[...] For a while now, Tricia and I have been longing after the cupcake shops other bloggers are always posting about. Every time I come across pictures of these exquisite little cupcakes from “boutique bakeries” I jump over to Google Maps and type in “Orlando cupakes”. Usually nothing of interest comes up – until about a month ago. Suddenly “Cupcake Crazy” was at the top of the list. Quick! I called Tricia to share the good news and we anxiously awaited the opening of Cupcake Crazy in Lake Mary. At long last we have a cool cupcake shop, so Tricia and I paid them a visit this week. The cupcakes were good – cupcakes are almost always good. The shop had six or seven varieties, some with sprinkes, some with tiny sugar flowers on top, but honestly, the central Florida cupcake industry has a ways to go before it can compare with that of San Francisco or Portland. I was expecting a little more up-scale type shop and the cupcakes themselves were nothing spectacular (maybe from a mix?) Still, it was fun (how can you not have fun in search of cupcakes?) Tricia and I decided next time we spend the day obsessed with cupcakes, we should spend it in the kitchen making our own gourmet concoctions! [...]

• 24 Jen // Mar 30, 2008 at 11:40 am

We live in the seattle area and recently visited Trophy – Oh MY! If you’re near here YOU HAVE TO GO! The triple coconut is absolutely the best baked anything I’ve ever had!!

• 25 Domestic Adventures » Sweet! // Jul 16, 2008 at 5:28 am

[...] Golly Miss Holly is exactly what I’ve been craving after reading all those other blogs about cupcakes. According to their website, they “use real fruit, no concentrates…and absolutely [...]

• 26 Margaret // Sep 11, 2010 at 11:28 am

Love your cupcakes – I love the fact that it’s so simple and creative.. So amazing……… If you get a chance check out my
    custom cupcakes