this book makes me happy

I borrowed The Knitter’s Book of Finishing Techniques from the library, but I think I’ll have to get my own copy. I got the book to see if I could learn some stretchier cast on and bind off techniques for making the Calorimetry. This book goes though a bunch of ways, details the advantages and draw backs of each technique, then clearly describes how to do them. The book also covers increases, decreases, selvages, seams, borders, buttonholes, and joining and weaving yarn ends. I can find all the techniques in this book online in various places, but I find having them all laid out with clear comparisons to be tremendously helpful for my scattered mind.

· comments [18] · 02-21-2007 · categories:books · knitting ·

• 1 Jenn // Feb 21, 2007 at 10:37 am

Ooh, I’ll have to find that book and take a look at it.

• 2 funessa // Feb 21, 2007 at 10:43 am

You’re making the Calorimetry too? My friend picked me up a skein of the Filatura di Crosa from Tricoter last week (they were having a huge sale) but I haven’t seen her to get my yarn yet! I can’t wait to cast on. (I have long curly hair so hats are out of the question for me.)
    Which yarn are you using? I can’t wait to see it.

• 3 jess // Feb 21, 2007 at 10:50 am

I love that book!

However, it doesn’t have my favorite stretchy bind off in it. :) On my calorimetry, I used the russian bind off where you k2tog (or p2tog depending on the pattern), then loosen that stitch and slip it stitch back to the holding needle and k2tog (or p2tog, depending on the pattern), loosen + slip the resultant stitch back to the holding needle — all the way until the end. It’s stretchy and less of a pain to work than the EZ sewn bind off.

Still, that is one of my very favorite technique books — worth the price!

• 4 Aran // Feb 21, 2007 at 11:17 am

I agree about this book being a great resource for people who dread finishing techniques.

It is the only how-to book besides “Knitter’s Handbook” by Montse Stanley that I actually use on a regular basis.

• 5 Chelsea // Feb 21, 2007 at 11:29 am

I want to knit my first sweater (Avast) for my boyfriend and am concerned about all the finishing. Especially putting in the zipper. Does this book go over zippers?

• 6 Aran // Feb 21, 2007 at 11:50 am

The book does have info about attaching zippers. It includes good info specific to the hazards involved when attaching a zipper to knitted work. Proof yet again of how good this book is.

• 7 laura // Feb 21, 2007 at 12:47 pm

I gave a copy of that book to my mom for Christmas two years ago, and she still thinks its the best thing I ever gave her. I wonder if she’ll let me borrow it?

• 8 Kat // Feb 21, 2007 at 12:55 pm

One of my favorite resources..try to have it with me at all times

• 9 kelli // Feb 21, 2007 at 2:21 pm

I saw this at Michael’s crafts. Next time I get a 50% off coupon, that’s what I’ll use it for!

• 10 mamie // Feb 21, 2007 at 2:56 pm

i just put that book down, and find myself picking it up quite often now that knitting rules my life. it is a great book to have bedside. good reference books are few and far between.

• 11 Gin // Feb 21, 2007 at 5:26 pm

I love the Caliometry head scarf. It’s beautiful! I am all thumbs at knitting however and am hoping to crochet a similar piece. Thanks for the tip!

• 12 minnie // Feb 21, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Spooky!
    That book is sitting right next to me, I just received it in the mail today!
    I ordered it from Knitpicks.com (have you ever checked out the prices on their books, they are super low priced!)
    I have just skimmed through it but I know it’s a great reference to have, and one more thing: it has a spiral binding so it can lay flat!

• 13 Anna // Feb 21, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Whoa, thanks for posting this. I’ve started making an afghan by knitting squares out of Alpaca yarn but haven’t been satisfied with any of the bind off techniques I’ve tried -all too tight.

• 14 V // Feb 22, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Sharing the love for that book. It’s definitely a staple in my knitting library.

• 15 mar // Feb 22, 2007 at 5:38 pm

I’m a newbie knitter – you know, scarves only right now! ;-) As I’m getting a little better, I’m thinking of investing in another book or two – this was one someone else told me about. Will I, as a newbie knitter, be able to understand this book?

Completely unrelated – Megan, I saw what you are reading on your sidebar. Do you like the Thursday Next series? It took me a little bit to get into it (I don’t normally like first person narratives), but once I got past that, I liked them a lot.

Plus, so much love for the Cadbury Mini Eggs – they are my all time favorite!!

• 16 megan // Feb 22, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Mar – I think it would help you understand things in patterns better, but I don’t think I could have deciphered it after my third scarf. I wish I had picked it up much sooner than this, though, as it solves some of the things I didn’t like about knitted objects. I say grab it from a library if you can, then decide if you’d like to buy it.

As for the Thursday Next series – I seem to have stumbled across a second book in the series. I got it as a book on tape to listen to while I sew and the narrator is excellent. I enjoyed it but I’m not sure if I’d like it as much if I was reading it. I loved the Hitchhiker’s series though, and this is sort of similar.

• 17 Sasha // Feb 22, 2007 at 7:45 pm

This title is for sale on Destash right now, not sure if it’s a good price, but in case you want to check it out:

• 18 Mary Ann // Feb 24, 2007 at 9:28 am

Love that book! My mom gave it to me after I completely butchered finishing a sweater! It was so bad I ended up unravelling the whole thing! I have a ton of knitting books, but this is the only one that I go back to again and again!