oh noes

A commenter has reported her Chefmate cast iron pot went from a fire engine red to dark burgundy color after she baked the no knead bread. Did this happen to anybody else? I haven’t used my pot for the bread yet, and now I’m sort of afraid!

· comments [8] · 02-16-2007 · categories:food ·

• 1 Sarah // Feb 16, 2007 at 12:17 pm

I’ve seen it happen, too. A friend who works for Target’s Corporate HQ made a great Chicken Caccitore in hers and it came out of the oven very, very dark. I think it lightened up as it cooled, though, at that point I wasn’t paying attention. I have only used mine on the stove top and haven’t seen the discoloration.

• 2 Sarah // Feb 16, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Same thing happens to the Le Creuset pots when they’re heated above 450 degrees. However, the LC enamel returns to the original color after cooling to room temperature.

• 3 Jess // Feb 16, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Yeah, my fire engine-red Le Creuset has taken a bit of a beating because of the no-knead bread. But isn’t that what Le Creuset is for?

• 4 Jenny // Feb 16, 2007 at 12:49 pm

I have the same pot, and have baked No-Knead bread in it 6 times now. It always darkens when it’s in the oven, but once it cools down it returns to normal. No worries.

• 5 megan // Feb 16, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Jenny!

• 6 kendra // Feb 16, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Hmmm…mine is in the oven right now full of beef stew. I’ll look for the color change. BTW, I found a great (metal)cabinet knob at Menards today to replace the plastic knob on the pot. It’s pretty too!

• 7 Elena // Feb 16, 2007 at 3:08 pm

I had the same thing happen this week with my Chantal red ceramic pie dish.

The color brightened up a bit when it cooled down but it is darker than when it was new.

• 8 Theresa // Feb 16, 2007 at 4:54 pm

My Target pot does this, it turns a very deep, dark red. Always goes back to the normal color when it cools off. Since the lid gets pulled out of the oven before the pot, there’s always quite a difference between them in color when the pot comes out.